AHC: More Boroughs!

Across the world, most large major cities have a lower tier of government. AFAIK, New York and its boroughs are unique in the United States. So, with a POD after the amalgamation of New York in 1898, have more borough governments in the US.

Across the world, most large major cities have a lower tier of government. AFAIK, New York and its boroughs are unique in the United States. So, with a POD after the amalgamation of New York in 1898, have more borough governments in the US.

Have more religions and races in the cities. More Diversity means more seperation, which means more need for space.

Some municipalities in New England, particularly in Vermont and Connecticut, already allow for something like NYC's boroughs, and that's pre-POD.

In the OTL 1960s, it became popular for large cities and their suburbs to have "Metropolitan Councils", but most are appointed and not recognised as municipalities. Have a tendency towards more comprehensive "Metropolitan Councils" and have them elected rather than appointed, and they gradually become like the NYC conurbation....

When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about getting Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties into NYC....:D

Some municipalities in New England, particularly in Vermont and Connecticut, already allow for something like NYC's boroughs, and that's pre-POD.
Really? Enlighten me, you can't just mention something like that in passing to a municipal governance nerd.

When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about getting Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties into NYC....:D
Hey, not what I meant but go for it! :) (I'm also a big fan of Metro Councils because I really hate externalities, I'd write a TL about the Bay Area if I weren't a slacker)

The reason more boroughs don't exist in the United States is that they complicate city governance to have multiple, overlapping authorities. The reason they exist in New York City is that each borough in the city is also its own county.

BOROUGH COUNTY
Manhattan New York
Queens Queens
Brooklyn Kings
Bronx Bronx
Staten Island Richmond

So the New York boroughs are different from boroughs in other cities in the US or other countries. The few states that use the term generally use them as a means to distinguish one form of municipality from another (townships, villages, towns, cities), as opposed to a sub-unit within an existing municipality.

In the US, the charters of cities are determined by the state government. So to get more boroughs, you need the state government to want to create such an administrative entity. You need to think what advantages they would give because you are going to need to give state legislators a reason to add another layer of government.