AHC: Mexican victory in the Mexican-American War

Maybe the US does a lot better quicker in the War of 1812. Which when a war with Mexico rolls around the The US has gotten fat and lazy sitting on their laurels. Britain backs Mexico to strike back at its errant colonials.

Also throw in some yellow fever outbreaks and More Patricio divisions and The US war effort collapses. England enters the war and an Anglo-Mexican force take New Orleans. Mexico seizes border territories with America. US sues for peace.

(Yes, the San Patricio units rebel from Mexico when that country forms an alliance with England)

It's triv. Just have unPresident unGeneral Antonio López de Santa Anna die of some plague as early as you can and you'll onto perfection for Mexico. Remember, he also turned Texas rebel and lost us in war.

Seriously, looking him up is a gas because he makes Shrubland look intellectual and perfect. Though, disturbingly, there was somebody even stupider because he DID win one battle, weirdly....

Love the idea. As noted, Santa Ana was possibly the worst field commander in history. The City of Puebla was in revolt against him and gave our forces passage.

A few early setbacks weaken America's resolve to fight Mexico (remember the war was pretty controversial from the start) combined with a threat of European intervention on Mexico's side forces America to back down for some time.

TFSmith121

Banned
1600 to 1810?

Sort of a wide window, don't you think?

Why even predicate a "Mexico" or a "United States".... It's like positing a Russo-Japanese war in (presumably) 1904 with a point of departure as far back as 1700...

Best,

I would like to point to my own timeline (sigged below), specifically pages 23 through 26. ;)

While the earlier the PoD the better, there are a handful of "late" ones that can easily work. You can go for one right at the start of independence, and switch the Insurgent leadership from Hidalgo to Ignacio Allende. Hidalgo was a charismatic orator that held a lot of influence among the indios, but as a parish priest he didn't have much military experience. If you want the revolution to be led by an actual soldier, Allende is the way to go. Have the insurgents win more battles early on and prevent their ill fated trek north, then that same leadership may stick around to clean up Mexico post-independence. This is the PoD I utilized for my TL, but it's far from the only one.

If you have a later PoD you can go for Iturbide retaining his crown and the empire endures. As long as Iturbide doesn't antagonize congress too much, he can manage the first few years before Mexico can focus on preparing for the eventual confrontation with the US. Conversely if you'd rather not do with the Empire and prefer a republic, you can try preventing the coup of 1829 from ever happening. Ensure Manuel Gómez Pedraza assumes power instead of Guerrero and the precedent of a peaceful transition of power via election isn't smothered in the crib.

Whichever way you go, Mexico needs to spend at least the 1830's or so preparing for the war. Better weaponry would do wonders for the Mexicans, as well as focusing on building a navy with some actual muscle. Reforming the Army would probably be best, but that might be tricky. By the time the war breaks out in the 1840's the US is in for a long and bloody war. Mexico just has to play the defensive and wear the Americans out.

I will also stress that any Mexican victory will require that the Mexicans cooperate with the Comanche. Also, Santa Anna must be dealt with somehow. Either keep him from attaining any significant power or just kill him off. Never underestimate that man's ability to fuck everything up.

Not just Arkhangelsk's TL, but also jycee's.

Yes, I forgot to mention that (as jycee's excellent timeline illustrates...seriously go check it out if you haven't!) Mexico can grasp victory from the Americans as late as 1846. Hell there are a handful of moments during the war itself that could have changed everything.