AHC : Malaysia vs Thailand war in 1990s or 2000s

As you know, the South Thailand Insurgency raises it's ugly face at the peak of 2000s, but well, muslims at Malaysia and Indonesia are known to support it.

So...

Not under Mahathir and Suharto, that's for sure. They had their own problems in their respective countries. Weirdly enough, there was a lot of coverage on the Aceh insurgency in the 2000s right up until the 2004 tsunami. If I can remember, it was after that when everyone's attention turned to southern Thailand.

Not under Mahathir and Suharto, that's for sure. They had their own problems in their respective countries. Weirdly enough, there was a lot of coverage on the Aceh insurgency in the 2000s right up until the 2004 tsunami. If I can remember, it was after that when everyone's attention turned to southern Thailand.
If you're talking about the Mahathir period, what happens to the Twin Towers of Kuala Lumpur? And the KL Tower, the Central Railway Station etc..

If you're talking about the Mahathir period, what happens to the Twin Towers of Kuala Lumpur? And the KL Tower, the Central Railway Station etc..

Well, either they wouldn't be built or they would be toned town from the OTL versions. Malaysia changed dramatically during the Mahathir period, but that also meant the country had to stay mostly neutral in any international conflict (bad for business). Once Mahathir stepped down, his mostly-neutral policy remains.

To get Malaysia involved would mean butterflying him and replacing him with some ultra-conservative Malay or a Muslim leader who doesn't give a crap about international relations.

uh, perhaps the provocation needs to be done from the other side? I meant the military junta of Thailand systematically ransack and evict indigenous muslim populations (in larger scale compared to what happened OTL in 2005-2007). And also chase and shot/bombard the patani guerillas across Malaysian border?

Another way to have such an event occur would be Chin Peng and his communists winning the Malayan Emergency.:( If this were the case, this scenario would be possible, since Thailand was friendly to the United States and sent volunteers for the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Plus, Malay politicians who oppose this kind of government would flee to other countries, probably Thailand and the propaganda of Communist Malaysia could attack Thailand, especially if they don't care about capitalist Western countries.

uh, perhaps the provocation needs to be done from the other side? I meant the military junta of Thailand systematically ransack and evict indigenous muslim populations (in larger scale compared to what happened OTL in 2005-2007). And also chase and shot/bombard the patani guerillas across Malaysian border?

And if this was to happen, Malaysia will be the least of Thailand's problem. The amount of international censure would wreck Thailand's tourist industry esp when the insurgents start fighting back.

In anycase, most Malaysian's are more concerned with problems closer to home. During the late 1990s, the concern would about economic survival in the face of the Asian financial crisis. A war would be the last thing Mahathir would have wanted. When the 2000s came about, domestic issues are again in the forefront when the Government for the first time since 1969 lost their absolute majority in the Malaysia Parliament. I can see sanctions but war? I highly doubt it.

Another way to have such an event occur would be Chin Peng and his communists winning the Malayan Emergency.:( If this were the case, this scenario would be possible, since Thailand was friendly to the United States and sent volunteers for the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Plus, Malay politicians who oppose this kind of government would flee to other countries, probably Thailand and the propaganda of Communist Malaysia could attack Thailand, especially if they don't care about capitalist Western countries.

How would you think a scenario where Chin Peng will win the Emergency will come about? Once the Brits decide to fight, I don't think it was possible for Chin Peng to win. The Malays were certainly anti-communist and they form 49% of the population. Most Chinese apart from certain elements of the urban Chinese were mostly neutral. They just wanted to rebuild after WW2. As the insurgency went along, the communists started alienating the Chinese due to their brutality and extortions.

How would you think a scenario where Chin Peng will win the Emergency will come about? Once the Brits decide to fight, I don't think it was possible for Chin Peng to win. The Malays were certainly anti-communist and they form 49% of the population. Most Chinese apart from certain elements of the urban Chinese were mostly neutral. They just wanted to rebuild after WW2. As the insurgency went along, the communists started alienating the Chinese due to their brutality and extortions.
Yes, unlikely, but this is just an example.

The only way I see a successful Emergency is if Thailand somehow goes communist and material filters through there, but in that case Malaysia and Thailand are likely to all be in the same bloc.

Singapore might become the Southeast Asian Airstrip One in such a scenario. :eek:

The only way I see a successful Emergency is if Thailand somehow goes communist and material filters through there, but in that case Malaysia and Thailand are likely to all be in the same bloc.

Singapore might become the Southeast Asian Airstrip One in such a scenario. :eek:
Unlikely though.

Yes, unlikely, but this is just an example.

Would be an interesting scenario :) Seriously, short of ASB I can't come up with anything. Even if the Brits decided to call it a day on Malaya and Singapore, I can't see how a minority insurgency with limited logistics will win in the long term.

Fortress Singapore once more? With General Lee (Kuan Yew)?:D