AHC: Make the 2014 Godzilla movie better

Agreed. It's like Jaws or Jurassic Park in that respect.

All Godzilla needs to be 'fixed' is to have a better lead. Aaron Taylor-Johnson has absolutely zero presence or charisma in the movie, and it really brings down a lot of the human stuff. But slot in someone I can properly root for, and it'll come together much better

Well that's easy, keep everything the same and just swap Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

All Godzilla needs to be 'fixed' is to have a better lead. Aaron Taylor-Johnson has absolutely zero presence or charisma in the movie, and it really brings down a lot of the human stuff. But slot in someone I can properly root for, and it'll come together much better

It really is unfortunate that Joseph Gordon Levitt had to turn down the role because of a scheduling conflict. He's a much more charismatic actor and probably could have brought a lot more life to the character.

Well that's easy, keep everything the same and just swap Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson.
Exactly my point ;)

I thought Olsen was fine, mostly hampered by the script and having nobody to play off more than anything else— she's a great actress. I'm not sure how much a recast would help that character.

It really is unfortunate that Joseph Gordon Levitt had to turn down the role because of a scheduling conflict. He's a much more charismatic actor and probably could have brought a lot more life to the character.
JGL was originally offered the role?! :eek: That would have been fantastic.

Exactly my point ;)

I thought Olsen was fine, mostly hampered by the script and having nobody to play off more than anything else— she's a great actress. I'm not sure how much a recast would help that character.

JGL was originally offered the role?! :eek: That would have been fantastic.

Heh, well by swap, I meant have Olsen play the lead and Johnson play the Dr stuck in the city. I think they both would have been better in those roles.

sharlin

Banned
Only thing i'd suggest is make it a bit brighter in terms of lighting, the final battle takes place at night, in a darkened city where its actually quite hard to see whats going on.

If your main complaint is how much time Godzilla got then the best PoD would be to have the studio give them a bigger budget. Godzilla had a smaller budget than PacRim by $30 million which significantly impacted the amount of screen time Godzilla and the Mutos had. Remember, most of Wall Street expected Godzilla to flop (Imax stock took a massive hit because Godzilla was expected to severally under preform). Bad press and low expectations bred an environment where the studio execs were to afraid to give Godzilla a budget equal to the one they gave to PacRim.

One thing to bear in mind is that the predictions about Godzilla underperforming were in large part due to Pacific Rim underperforming - of course, those making those guesses based on that forget what crippled Pacific Rim was studio politics, not content.

Yeah, that's really the only knock I'd have against the movie. Recast Aaron Taylor-Johnson with someone less wooden, and give Elizabeth Olsen's character something to do besides cry and run (maybe a subplot about her helping out among the refugees in the BART system during the final fight). Other than that it's a damn fine movie.

Only thing i'd suggest is make it a bit brighter in terms of lighting, the final battle takes place at night, in a darkened city where its actually quite hard to see whats going on.

That was my complaint as well. Come on, we're watching this movie to see the monsters. So let's be able to see them.