AHC- Make Monterey the biggest city in the Western USA

SunDeep

Banned
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with an ATL with a POD after 1900 where Monterey becomes the largest, most important city/metropolitan area in the Western United States by the present-day, exceeding the size and importance of OTL Los Angeles.

Well I guess first off, Pershing's Punitive Expedition ends up annexing Northern Mexico as a buffer zone?

Caspian

Banned
Monterey isn't nearly as good a harbor as San Francisco Bay or San Diego, it doesn't provide easy access to the gold fields of the Sierras, and it is really too small an area to fit a large population without destroying the prime agricultural fields inland (which has been one of the primary political issues of the county seat, Salinas, for the last couple of decades - preserving ag land vs. urban sprawl).

I could see an urban conglomerate stretching from Carmel in the south to Marina in the north, taking over the entirely of the former Fort Ord in the process - perhaps the state capital remains in Monterey. That land currently has a population of a little over 100,000 today - perhaps, with the state capital and preventing the development of Fort Ord, Greater Monterey could have double the population.

An urban conglomerate of 1,000,000 or more is just not feasible for the city - particularly not after 1900.

Caspian

Banned
Well I guess first off, Pershing's Punitive Expedition ends up annexing Northern Mexico as a buffer zone?

Are you referring to Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico? Because I think OP is referring to Monterey, California (where I happen to live).

SunDeep

Banned
Yeah, I was talking about Monterey in California. But is it really so impossible? After all, the capital of Alta California used to be Monterey; couldn't a decent first step toward Monterey regaining its dominance be the relocation of California's state capital back to its original home city?

Caspian

Banned
Yeah, I was talking about Monterey in California. But is it really so impossible? After all, the capital of Alta California used to be Monterey; couldn't a decent first step toward Monterey regaining its dominance be the relocation of California's state capital back to its original home city?

I don't see how that'd be plausible after 1900.

Pretty much impossible short of a major geographic POD. The major pass through the Sierras is farther north, up by Reno and Tahoe, where highway 80 currently goes. I guess there could be one further south. But I suspect the native americans and first explores scouted the passes out fairly well. Both San Francisco and Los Angeles have better ports. The Sacramento river flows into San Francisco Bay. All this makes it a naturally superior alternative to Monterey.
Los Angeles is south of the Sierra Mountains and has a sizable port location. It would be a significant port city regardless of Monterey for that reason alone.

If the capital resides in Monterey perhaps it could equal Sacramento. Maybe have the defense industry build a larger base there than Fort Ord and the language institute. Sacramento has about 600,000 people so it a decent sized city.

Thanks there was a challenge on Facebook to name a city without an A in its name. If that comes up again I will add Monterey to Toledo, Detriot, Des Moine. pPierre, Denver, Fresno. mMexico City. hHouston. eEnid, Little Rock. sSt Petersburg (Fl) rRichmond, Columbus, Pittsburgh, New York City, Boston, Dublin, London, Lisbon, Madrid Rone, Berlin, St Petersburg ( Russia ) Moscow, Riyad, Delhi. a New Delhi, Bejing. tTokyo, Ho Chi Minh City Sydney Melbourne

Thanks there was a challenge on Facebook to name a city without an A in its name. If that comes up again I will add Monterey to Toledo, Detriot, Des Moine. pPierre, Denver, Fresno. mMexico City. hHouston. eEnid, Little Rock. sSt Petersburg (Fl) rRichmond, Columbus, Pittsburgh, New York City, Boston, Dublin, London, Lisbon, Madrid Rone, Berlin, St Petersburg ( Russia ) Moscow, Riyad, Delhi. a New Delhi, Bejing. tTokyo, Ho Chi Minh City Sydney Melbourne
You DO realize that those are trivially easy 'challenges' that simply exist to harvest your information, right?