AHC: Make Bush Sr. lose the 1988 Election

We're all familiar with Poppy Bush and his tenure as President, we remember Saddam, Anita and Thomas, and his creation of NAFTA. Despite his long range of successes he still managed to lose in 1992 to a infamous/famous Governor from Arkansas.

Which is why, today, I want some propose an earlier loss for Poppy, let's try a challenge and come up with the best way that Poppy Bush could lose in 1988 to a Democrat.

-Iran-Contra Affair is revealed earlier and is more damning.
-Black Monday leads to a late '80s recession that is as bad as (and ends up butterflying) OTL's early '90s recession.
-Democrats nominate a charismatic candidate, i.e. untainted Ted Kennedy, Gary Hart, Mario Cuomo, Bill Clinton (if butterflies somehow keep Al Gore from running), etc. With a late '80s recession, even uncharismatic Dick Gephardt could catch on.

Last edited:
It's really not much of a challenge when you consider Dukakis of all people led by 17 points at one point during the campaign, and that was despite the overall fundamentals favoring the GOP. A stronger nominee with the right campaign could've narrowly defeated Bush.

Dukakis challenges the crime issue head-on.

"Do I regret that that guy was furloughed? Of course. And I'm sure Ronald Reagan regrets the murders that were commited by furloughed criminals during his governorship in California. And if you want to talk about crimes in California and Massachusetts, we can talk about that, but I'd rather talk about the issues facing the American people right now."

Dukakis doesn't get into that tank and Bernard Shaw doesn't blindside him with a certain question.
Hart doesn't wind up in a scandal and wins the nomination.
The Reagan Administration is implicated in the Iran-Contra Affair.
Or a certain other candidate whose name I can't invoke is more careful with his words, wins the Democratic nomination, and beats Bush, Sr., with a revelation about Iran-Contra being the October Surprise.

Or a certain other candidate whose name I can't invoke is more careful with his words, wins the Democratic nomination, and beats Bush, Sr., with a revelation about Iran-Contra being the October Surprise.
Jeez, there were a lot of wild guys in that particular Democratic primary.

Iran-Contra is much worse and there is undeniable evidence that links Reagan to it which causes him to resign. Bush Sr starts with high approval ratings but his pardon of Reagan and Black Monday caused a massive recession leading to his approval ratings drooping. All of this leads to Dukakis(or any Democrat really) trouncing Bush come election night 88.

Dukakis doesn't get into that tank and Bernard Shaw doesn't blindside him with a certain question.

Watching the debate clip, he doesn't really seem to have been blindsided. More like, he was VERY familiar with the question, and answered it the way he'd answered it a hundred times before at cocktail parties.

Easy answer is Bush is caught with the proverbial dead girl or live boy.

Non-glib answer is the recession is way worse. Maybe the S&L stuff cascades and takes down a lot more banks? Basically a 2007-2008 type recession two decades earlier?

Would any of the more famous Democrat candidates in that election have offered a substantially different foreign policy when it came to trade and military intervention?

Sure. He'd just need to not run as GOP-lite, running explicitly "soft on crime" is one way to do this. His response to people bringing up the furlough thing should have been promising to make it national policy and empty out the prisons. There's no shortage of suburban voters willing to be "nice" if someone else foots the bill so the prospect cities taking another hit from crime wouldn't necessarily be a Big Deal/dealbreaker.

Iran-Contra has more fallout and some places have a regionally bad economy. However, even then it’s hard. Maybe if the farm economy is really bad he can pull off winning in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and Illinois, in addition to California, Pennsylvania, Maryland Connecticut , Vermont, New Mexico Michigan and Colorado.

Maybe if Gary Hart keeps his monkey business a secret he could win. He seems to be the only guy who had enough charisma to take down the Reagan/Bush juggernaut.

According to Allan Lichtman's Keys to the White House theory, Republicans went into the 1988 election with only three negative keys against them. That's a very strong advantage. I'll try to stay away from "The economy goes into recession two years earlier."

*Republicans held 177 seats after the 1986 midterms and 165 after the 1982 midterms. If they lose sixteen additional seats in 1986, they lose the midterm key. Before the midterms, Reagan's position was that the weapons transfers had indeed occurred, but that the United States did not trade arms for hostages. If Reagan doesn't wait until March of 1987 to take full responsibility, maybe Republicans do worse in the midterms.
*If real per‑capita economic growth during the second term doesn't equal or exceeds mean growth during the previous two term. It was down during Reagan's second term. Maybe if it lags a little more. That would be a better indictment of Reaganonomics for Democrats to run again.

Beyond that, it gets tricky.
*A protracted nomination contest would work. Let's say George Bush bungles his interview with Dan Rather, then he loses New Hampshire to Bob Dole. But is it really realistic that at a certain point, Reagan wouldn't put his thumb on the scale?
*If Democrats bring articles of impeachment against Reagan, that brings the scandal key, although an inadvertent side effect might be Reagan resigning, which would hand the Presidency over to Bush, who would then run for re-election. Democrats would lose their advantage of running against someone who isn't an incumbent.
*Hard to see a historically charismatic Democrat throwing their hat in the ring.
*Someone else would have to inform me on the likelihood of this but the Russians lost Brezhnev, Andropov, and Chernenko in just a few years. Is it possible that one of them survives, adopts a different position than Gorbachev, and the Cold War continues onward?

Looks like a recession or a third party candidacy (Trump '88?).

I'm in the camp that "peace and prosperity" made this unlikely. But I think there's a small chance if a decent-to-good campaigner is nominated and has a premonition that Michigan will be the tipping-point state, and therefore picks either of Senators Don Riegle or Carl Levine (if the nominee is a governor), or popular Governor Jim Blanchard (if the nominee is a senator). Analyses usually have the VP effect being small, but usually not insignificant, IIRC. Michigan would have flipped with a switch of 3.95% of the vote, and I assume there's a POD or combination of PODs during campaign season that, along with the optimal ticket I've mentioned, make this plausible. Said Democratic victory may or may not come with the popular vote...

(272-266)

genusmap.php

Last edited:
Actually, how about Jesse Jackson getting the nomination in 1988? Or that's ASB?

Last edited:
Actually, how about Jesse Jackon getting the nomination in 1988? Or that's ASB?
I don't think it's necessarily too ASB, but if he were the nominee he'd likely go down as badly or worse than McGovern did 16 years earlier.

Dukakis doesn't get into that tank
The tank wasn't helpful, but most voters weren't basing their decision on a tacky photo. The crime issue hurt him a lot more.
Sure. He'd just need to not run as GOP-lite, running explicitly "soft on crime" is one way to do this. His response to people bringing up the furlough thing should have been promising to make it national policy and empty out the prisons.
No. That would have made his loss a lot worse. With the country gripped by skyhigh murder rates, having Dukakis run on emptying the prisons is something you'd come up with if the AHC was to make someone other than George Washington win the electoral college unanimously.

Hmmm, as a Russian, I could say that maybe having the Cold War ending a little bit earlier than IRL could do the trick. Like, the Malta summit where Bush and Gorbachev for the first time declared ''the end of the Cold War'' took place only in 1989.

So, a good PoD here would be Alexander Yakovlev becoming the leader of the USSR in 1985 instead of Gorby. Basically, Yakovlev was ''Gorby on steroids'' (even more liberal) and the main ideologue behind perestroika. So, he would be perfectly fine with giving up the entire Soviet sphere of influenece even at faster pace (IRL he was the author of ''Both Americans and Russians won the Cold War'' line).