AHC- Let's Play Ball!

SinghKing

Banned
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create (or postulate) a plausible ATL in which where the respective popularities of cricket and baseball are reversed from OTL in as many nations as possible- effectively, with baseball* becoming the dominant bat-and-ball game in the UK and across most of the Commonwealth, and cricket* becoming the dominant bat-and-ball game in the USA, across most of the Western Hemisphere and East Asia ITTL. How would we go about doing this?

* Instantly recognisable variants of OTL's sports, but not necessarily with identical rules and regulations to OTL's sports.

and no change in the vast majorty of countries were none of those games have a following? that being most of europe at the vary least

SinghKing

Banned
and no change in the vast majorty of countries were none of those games have a following? that being most of europe at the vary least

Free to do as you want with those nations where neither cricket nor baseball can claim to have a significant following. They could have no change, go into either the baseball or cricket camp, or even adopt different bat-and-ball sports entirely.

my response was actually a implicit snark on your stated opinion that Baseball is the dominant bat-and-ball game 'across the western hermissphere' short of the Commonwealth. To the best of my knowledge the only places that it have a significant following is North America, Caribbean islands (specificly Cuba) and Japan ... by number of countries its likely fewer than Cricket which in it self aren't above two dozen by the best of my knowledge.

Only other major bat-and-ball game is Brännboll/Longball/Rounders or similars which for the most parts are childrens games most often played in PE

my response was actually a implicit snark on your stated opinion that Baseball is the dominant bat-and-ball game 'across the western hermissphere' short of the Commonwealth. To the best of my knowledge the only places that it have a significant following is North America, Caribbean islands (specificly Cuba) and Japan ... by number of countries its likely fewer than Cricket which in it self aren't above two dozen by the best of my knowledge.

Only other major bat-and-ball game is Brännboll/Longball/Rounders or similars which for the most parts are childrens games most often played in PE

In the Americas, baseball is popular in the following places: the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama and the Netherlands Antilles.

In Asia, it is popular not only in Japan but also Korea, Taiwan and the Philippines.

Last edited:
Baseball has a major following in Venezuela, Colombia, Panama and Mexico as well.

Close enough ... doesn't change my point that its hardly played across the western world, unless the western world doesn't include Europe, and Latin America are hardly 'first contenders' when thinking of countries of the western world

Close enough ... doesn't change my point that its hardly played across the western world, unless the western world doesn't include Europe, and Latin America are hardly 'first contenders' when thinking of countries of the western world

The OP specified the Western Hemisphere, not the Western world. Europe is in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Baseball is indeed very big in large portions of the Western Hemisphere, Latin America included. Nearly half of all players in the Major League Baseball system were born in Latin America. The Dominican Republic alone has produced 20% of them.

SinghKing

Banned

I guess that 'The Americas' would have been a better term to use than 'Western Hemisphere' (since that was what I meant).

I can't really see a way to switch the two, but i don't have enough working knowledge to know how they developed. I'm thinking maybe baseball is transferred to the Isles during world war II, though how you could get the Brits to play an American game i have no clue.

Cricket i could see becoming popular in the states with live television, though i don't know that it differs enough from baseball to catch on or overtake it.

I think part of the problem comes from the complexity of the two games. I grew up playing baseball, and it was only recently i realized how boring it must be to watch if you don't know everything that's going on. Like just understanding the dynamics of how the game is played, when tension is low or high, really factors into enjoying it. Soccer is far more straightforward, basketball i figure as well. The window of opportunity is pretty small to have baseball both popular enough to export and then weakened enough to have cricket overtake it. There is also the factors of basketball and football, which have eclipsed baseball in popularity. I dont know if the OP is American, but let me tell you that there is very little room in this country for new sports, as much as i wish there were.

On a side note: Butterfly away baseball, you may get cricket in its place, though don't forget we still primary drink coffee because as a nation, we don't really like the British or British things, especially the farther back you go (other than music). To get baseball in Britain, just have the US go fascist and conquer the isles. Then you'll have the Queen at a Yankees game.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create (or postulate) a plausible ATL in which where the respective popularities of cricket and baseball are reversed from OTL in as many nations as possible- effectively, with baseball* becoming the dominant bat-and-ball game in the UK and across most of the Commonwealth, and cricket* becoming the dominant bat-and-ball game in the USA, across most of the Western Hemisphere and East Asia ITTL. How would we go about doing this?

* Instantly recognisable variants of OTL's sports, but not necessarily with identical rules and regulations to OTL's sports.
Well, baseball was invented in Britain (Jane Austen mentions it in Northanger Abbey if I recall) so with a POD back far enough, having baseball be more popular in the UK and the Commonwealth is doable. But cricket in the Americas and East Asia is a bit trickier to be honest. Heck, having baseball be popular throughout the entire Anglosphere in addition to its OTL area of influence is more plausible than what you propose.

Wasn't cricket at least as popular as baseball in the US at the start of the 20th century?

At the start of the 20th century? No way. Baseball was by far the most popular sport by that time. The National League had already existed since 1876, and the American League was founded in 1901. There were no equivalent professional leagues for cricket.