AHC: Largest Texas Possible?

Well, as a part of the US, a good first step would be to maintain the original borders and not have bits and pieces of Texas distributed to other states. Then you could maybe have Oklahoma incorporated into Texas.

Well, as a part of the US, a good first step would be to maintain the original borders and not have bits and pieces of Texas distributed to other states. Then you could maybe have Oklahoma incorporated into Texas.

It was in debt and a slave state, therefor it needed to be below 36 30, and needed to pay off the money from when it was independent.

Nietzsche

Banned
In-union, the best and most likely way to make Texas bigger is to either give them the southern Arizona-New Mexico territories, and if we have an early PoD, you can add some pieces of Tampulapas, Coahuila, and Nuevo Leon. Not all of each by any means, but a border further south in general direction.

Independent? Not a clue, highly-highly unlikely.

In-union, the best and most likely way to make Texas bigger is to either give them the southern Arizona-New Mexico territories, and if we have an early PoD, you can add some pieces of Tampulapas, Coahuila, and Nuevo Leon. Not all of each by any means, but a border further south in general direction.

Independent? Not a clue, highly-highly unlikely.

I confess I'm pretty fuzzy on this, but wasn't Houston in favor of independence?

Anywhere east of the Rio Grande, and south of the 37th parallel would do....and possibly a few parts of Oklahoma as well.....anything else is a stretch in my book.

Dominion of Southern America comes pretty close, I'd say - for a decade or two, all of New Mexico and California south of the NC-Virginia border (around 36'30) (including Baja California) is administered from Texas.

Now that I think about it, The Black and the Gray also has Texas conquer the entire northern tier of Mexican states; I think it gets a lot of the rest of Mexico for a little while too, before it ends up on the wrong side of a war and has to give it up.

I confess I'm pretty fuzzy on this, but wasn't Houston in favor of independence?
Quite the opposite, he was the big annexation guy. Lamar was the one who wanted to lay claim to the Mexican west and make Texas an empire.

EDIT: A reversal of the ill-fated Santa Fe Expedition couldn't hurt.

You may be able to get a larger Texas if, during her time as an independent country, the nation falls under the influence of aEuropean power that wants a new world empire, though indirectly as to not upset the colassus to the north: such a scenerio could bring about a 2nd Mexican empire like Texas that serves as a two coast "associate " ally to ward off the US and serve as a de facto protectorate.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

Banned
Quite the opposite, he was the big annexation guy. Lamar was the one who wanted to lay claim to the Mexican west and make Texas an empire.

EDIT: A reversal of the ill-fated Santa Fe Expedition couldn't hurt.

Anyone have a map detailing Lamar's ambitions for Texas? They were Mussolini-Hitler levels of insane, but I think it'd be interesting to see.

(Note, I'm not pulling Godwin on anything but their similar visions of a great & mighty empire that neither, without massive changes, they could achieve, let alone govern.)

You could call The United States of Mexico of For Want of a Nail as a mega-Texas which eventually becomes assimilated by Mexico, kinda... :)

Bruce