AHC: Largest possible Russia

With a POD of 882, have Russia become as large as possible. Bonus points if it becomes the largest nation in history and spans more than three continents.

ben0628

Banned
Well, at the very least all land occupied by the Russian Empire at its peak.

In addition in North America I could see it get more of Alaska and British Columbia if it puts more of an effort into colonialism.

In the far east, Mongolia and Manchuria, maybe a little of Japan if Russia wins the Russo-Japanese War.

Middle East/Central Asia it could acquire maybe Afghanistan, Northern Iran, and Turkey (I doubt they'd be able to hold it).

In Europe, maybe Northern Norway, Gotland, Aland Islands, Prussia, Silesia, Romania.

Xinjiang, Manchuria, and Mongolia are always options.
Also, if Russia gets more interested in colonization, then it might deem adventures in the Pacific as a worthy investment. Wasn't there a Russian outpost in Hawaii at one point?

But how sustainable is a wanked Russian Empire? Russia will have to rule over large populations of central Asians, Persians, Chinese and more. This makes Slavic peoples the minority. Russia also doesn't have the advantages Britain had for a globe-spanning Empire.

Last edited:
But how sustainable is a wanked Russian Empire? Russia will have to rule over large populations of central Asians, Persians, Chinese and more. This makes Slavic peoples the minority. Russia also doesn't have the advantages Britain had for a globe-spanning Empire.
If we limit Russia to peripherical areas like Uyghurstan, Mongolia and Manchuria I think it´s more doable.

In Europe Russia would possibly integrate Finland into the empire, take Galicia and maybe Prussia(whole or only East), probably also Carpatho Ukraine and Moldavia, not sure.

If we have a Russian Empire like this, its population given 1900 numbers would be 25% higher and the East Slavs would compromise from 50 to 55% of the population.

Xp7WSzI.png

What I find interesting is that Russia has direct access to China and could possibly even invade by land given good railroad system.

Last edited:
If we limit Russia to peripherical areas like Uyghurstan, Mongolia and Manchuria I think it´s more doable.

In Europe Russia would possibly integrate Finland into the empire, take Galicia and maybe Prussia(whole or only East), probably also Carpatho Ukraine and Moldavia, not sure.

If we have a Russian Empire like this, its population given 1900 numbers would be 25% higher and the East Slavs would compromise from 50 to 55% of the population.

WhatI find interesting is that Russia has direct access to China and could possibly even invade by land given good railroad system.
I can only imagine the amount of rebellions... But hey, a Russian Empire like that works.
A thought--what if this Russian Empire was able to achieve the goals of pan slavism?

I can only imagine the amount of rebellions... But hey, a Russian Empire like that works.
A thought--what if this Russian Empire was able to achieve the goals of pan slavism?
I´m not sure how pan-Slavism can be achieved, that would require annexing much of Austria and the Ottoman Empire and I´m quite sure that´s not happening with a later POD(with a 882 one yes but that´s too far back), I can see having either a big Bulgarian or Serbian puppet or ally with also a Czechslovakian puppet but that´s about it, not direct control.

What about ideas like what the British did in the Middle East and India, puppet states like Kuwait and Oman and thr Trucial States, or the Indian principalities that weren't under direct control. Could the Russians do similar with Afghanistan, a larger Armenia, maybe even a greater Bulgaria; where you provide protection and keep other states out but arent burdened with administrative costs.

What about ideas like what the British did in the Middle East and India, puppet states like Kuwait and Oman and thr Trucial States, or the Indian principalities that weren't under direct control. Could the Russians do similar with Afghanistan, a larger Armenia, maybe even a greater Bulgaria; where you provide protection and keep other states out but arent burdened with administrative costs.
Armenia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece. As long as they are Christians and Russia doesn´t annex part of their land it should work. Not sure of how a puppet Afghanistan would work, or any Turkic nation for that matter(maybe the Tarim Basin would be a puppet given how remote and surrounded by mountains the area is).

Is there any way to have Russia consist of all of Eurasia? Or at least all of Asia?
Does a scinicized or indianized Russia count as Russia? If yes, then Russia has a very, very slim chance of taking over Asia, so slim that I cannot possibly stress the fact more. And even when it unites Asia, there'll be daily rebellions that will eventually make the Empire unsustainable. Eurasia though? Never.

Last edited:

Actually, that's not too unreasonable in China, in fact, that was at least until 1931 the maximum extent of Soviet influence. If the is alt Russia can give all those ethnic minorities decent status with some juicy privileges, then I don't see much in the way of rebellion.

Is there any way to have Russia consist of all of Eurasia? Or at least all of Asia?

I'd say no, it would simply be far too big to manage.

Actually, that's not too unreasonable in China, in fact, that was at least until 1931 the maximum extent of Soviet influence. If the is alt Russia can give all those ethnic minorities decent status with some juicy privileges, then I don't see much in the way of rebellion.
Those ethnic minorities might be willing to accept such terms in Xinjiang and Mongolia, but I seriously doubt if thr Manchurians would accept, as it is the most Han dominated (can be butterflied), resource rich (thus making the locals reasonably powerful) and populous. Manchuria might come under Russian influence without much resistance, but Russian annexation would require a war.

Last edited:

scholar

Banned
And thus the rebellions that will be popping up.
Depends on how much they take. An annexation of China is impossible, but Manchuria is something that can be taken and kept without too many headaches. A few revolts would be likely, but not protracted rebellion. Particularly if the Russians do what they usually do, and employ local elites and simply shift the object of their loyalty.