AHC: Largest/most powerful possible Switzerland?

With a POD after, say, 1700, what's the largest/most powerful Switzerland possible? Can it annex other German states?

altamiro

Banned
With a POD after, say, 1700, what's the largest/most powerful Switzerland possible? Can it annex other German states?

Turn all the associated members of the confederacy, such as Mülhausen or Valtellino into full members - this would be a good first step...

Other than stuff like full Lichtensteinian membership I don't see how a Swiss state could be more powerful.

There was this map done a while ago. Possibly the largest switzerland that can be.
Still who knows how powerful it could be without access to the sea and still consist of basically just mountains.

altamiro

Banned
There was this map done a while ago. Possibly the largest switzerland that can be.
Still who knows how powerful it could be without access to the sea and still consist of basically just mountains.

Only 1/3 of current Switzerland are mountains.
But the best chance would be actually post-1800 if Swiss decide to actually take control of Savoy in 1860 as per treaty instead of vacillating about it while France made facts on the ground.

It's often brought up in any thread, but in the event of some sort of global crisis (disease, nuclear holocaust, etc.) Switzerland would be well prepared. It has armed citizens, a good isolated position and no quarrels with anybody.

personally, i have Switzerland sized about this much, mostly accounting for OTL possible additions. it's not much, but still.

uberwiss.png

maybe you could incorporate vorarlberg, OTL Vorarlberg wanted to join switzerland aftertWW 1, but the swiss refused.
i guess an even bigger switzerland or helvetic federation could be doable with the right POD.

This is the one I was talking about:

GrossSchweiz.png
Voralburg? Sure. Lichtenstein, sure? Aosta and Savoy, well, at least they sort of make sense, and connect to the Med, which is a valid reason.

But Baden-Württemberg and Elsass!?!?!? Really!? What were they smoking? Why not annex all of Austria, while you're at it?

Fatal accident for Napoleon. France gets a dictator (Moreau?) who opts to continue Republican forms rather than adopt monarchical. Assuming a fair degree of military success, he expands the Helvetic Republic, which acquires Baden-Wurttemburg, Tyrol and divers other bits and bobs. After the tide of war swings against France, The HR changes sides in time to hang on to its ill-gotten gains.

Last edited:
Voralburg? Sure. Lichtenstein, sure? Aosta and Savoy, well, at least they sort of make sense, and connect to the Med, which is a valid reason.

But Baden-Württemberg and Elsass!?!?!? Really!? What were they smoking? Why not annex all of Austria, while you're at it?

Definitely not all of Alsace and Baden-Württemberg (that's indeed too much of a stretch), but the border areas, and the exclaves of Rottweil and Mulhouse were part of the Confederacy.