With a POD in 1783 (the year of the laki eruptions where 25% of the population would die to famine) , how can we have the population of Iceland, by 2020, be bigger than OTL (336k) and what PODs are necessary to achieve this?

With a POD in 1783 (the year of the laki eruptions where 25% of the population would die to famine) , how can we have the population of Iceland, by 2020, be bigger than OTL (336k) and what PODs are necessary to achieve this?

Honestly beside keeping Iceland poorer in the 20th century, Iceland did everything right to increase its population.

I would instead go two century further back and let the Basque fishermen/whalers introduce potatoes (realistic) and quinoa/amaranth (far less realistic).

Honestly beside keeping Iceland poorer in the 20th century, Iceland did everything right to increase its population.

I would instead go two century further back and let the Basque fishermen/whalers introduce potatoes (realistic) and quinoa/amaranth (far less realistic).
Could potatoes grow in Iceland?

Wow. I knew potatoes were a versatile crop, but I didn't know they could grow in conditions that harsh. If they can grow in Greenland, they can grow pretty much anywhere.

Western Greenland is heated by the sea, this give the coast a warmer climate than people imagine and in some of the valleys protected from the wind, the valley’s can get a temperate microclimate. The main problem with agriculture Greenland is that the soil is highly acidic, drain too fast, and flood easily. This make the Greenlandic soil useless for traditional Scandinavian crop, but with irrigation potatoes can grow in it. On Iceland on the other hand the main problem is erratic spring freezings, high wind and erosion. Icelandic farmers would simply need to build stone hedges around small potato fields to protect them against the wind and create warmer microclimates.

Last edited:
Could there also be a way to make seaweed aquaculture become better known in the area to lead to an additional food source?

Could Denmark-Norway make Iceland penal colony?

Or then Denmark-Norway survives and some people voluntarely move there.

I'm not sure any of this would increase the population by much, but it probably would reduce the impact of famine and malnutrition, letting Iceland bounce back quicker after epidemics. Likely also that plus healthier populace would make the island richer and able to support more livestock which could spur the growth of an actual city there. OTL there was nothing larger than a village until Reykjavik was founded.

I'm not sure any of this would increase the population by much, but it probably would reduce the impact of famine and malnutrition, letting Iceland bounce back quicker after epidemics. Likely also that plus healthier populace would make the island richer and able to support more livestock which could spur the growth of an actual city there. OTL there was nothing larger than a village until Reykjavik was founded.

The reason why Reykjavik wasn’t bigger was because the Danish crown banned anyone beside the central administration from living there permanently. The Danish crown was afraid that if they didn’t the entire Icelandic population would move there and become fishermen, and let the “farmland” go fallow and leave the island open to takeover by others.

You could try to encourage/introduce incentives to get people to permanently settle in Iceland.

Then, by the 1900s, escalate Polish/Eastern European immigration to the country. People of Polish or Lithuanian origin already form like 6% of the country's 21st century population.

The reason why Reykjavik wasn’t bigger was because the Danish crown banned anyone beside the central administration from living there permanently. The Danish crown was afraid that if they didn’t the entire Icelandic population would move there and become fishermen, and let the “farmland” go fallow and leave the island open to takeover by others.
I thought the issue was more that Iceland was so poor and the population almost entirely smallscale fishermen and farmers that there was no reason to permit the organisation of a large market town and no reason to form one since fishing/farming in the villages was sufficient enough.

Do you have a good source by any chance? I'm interested in this because my TL includes a richer medieval/early modern Iceland.

I thought the issue was more that Iceland was so poor and the population almost entirely smallscale fishermen and farmers that there was no reason to permit the organisation of a large market town and no reason to form one since fishing/farming in the villages was sufficient enough.

Do you have a good source by any chance? I'm interested in this because my TL includes a richer medieval/early modern Iceland.

I think it was “Rejse gennem Islands historie”.

Could there also be a way to make seaweed aquaculture become better known in the area to lead to an additional food source?

Seaweed was already eaten.
YARN Story: ANALYZER: Seaweed: 50% sea, 50% weed. |  cbec5a0a-15b4-49dd-88c7-f4bf510265e6

Basques are not into potatoes and tend to not want to eat anything that grows underground.