AHC: Kingdom of Greece joins the Scramble for Africa (EDIT: fixed error in thread title)

As the title says.

How could it happen? What lands could Greece claim (or maybe buy from other powers)? How do you think the Greek colonial administration would look like compared to the other European powers of the day?

A good POD could be King Leopold I of Belgium becoming King of Greece as he was first invited to be, considering the exploits of his son IOTL.

There were a lot of Greeks in Egypt but thats probably out of the question. As to the rest, maybe a small colony. I don't know how rich Greece is. I imagine Austria, a far larger country, would get a colony first, and that never happened.

There were a lot of Greeks in Egypt but thats probably out of the question. As to the rest, maybe a small colony. I don't know how rich Greece is. I imagine Austria, a far larger country, would get a colony first, and that never happened.
Also, they would rather trade the colony for Greek land in the Ottomans.

Greeks were used as "white enough" ethnic minorities to administratively or mercantile-y prop various imperial powers but I dont believe Greece was in a firm place itself to rule.

Greek South Sudanese, Greek Congolese/Rhodian, Greek Zimbabweans didn't have the means nor capital to actively suppress anyone and I dont think they would want to do anything other than trade.

Last edited:
Greeks were used a "white enough" ethnic minority to administratively or support the trade for various imperial powers but I dont believe was in a firm place itself to rule.

Greek South Sudanese, Greek Congolese/Rhodian, Greek Zimbabweans didn't have the means nor capital to actively suppress anyone and I dont think they would want to do anything other than trade.

The Greeks in British ruled Tanganyika controlled sisal cultivation and its trade. They were also important in the Eastern portion of the Belgian Congo and Katanga. However, I think Greece's ambitions were more focused on acquiring Crete, Cyprus, Macedonia, Thrace etc which were still under Ottoman control. A colonial territory might have been seen as a waste of time and money, siphoning off funds for the next war.

Sabre77

Banned
They certainly do have enough letters in their cities’ names to get a good score.....

Sorry, couldn’t resist lol.

Greece was born in debt and during the 1880's it had no desire to conquer other people, it's main focus was on liberating it's own under Ottoman yoke as they were being slowly ethnically cleansed in Anatolia and Thrace.

The SCRABBLE for Africa?
Thanks for catching the error.
Obviously implausible, they don't even use the Latin alphabet. /s
The tiles would be in the wrong alphabet :winkytongue:
Ha! Jokes on you guys:
Latin alphabet

Greek has occasionally been written in the Latin script, especially in areas under Venetian rule or by Greek Catholics. The term Frankolevantinika / Φραγκολεβαντίνικα applies when the Latin script is used to write Greek in the cultural ambit of Catholicism (because Frankos / Φράγκος is an older Greek term for West-European dating to when most of (Roman Catholic Christian) West Europe was under the control of the Frankish Empire)... The Latin script is nowadays used by the Greek-speaking communities of Southern Italy.
Greece was born in debt and during the 1880's it had no desire to conquer other people, it's main focus was on liberating it's own under Ottoman yoke as they were being slowly ethnically cleansed in Anatolia and Thrace.
Hence the “challenge” part of AHC.

Quiet hard. Greece was pretty poor and it had very low population. And it was more intrested about Balkans and Western Anatolia. And probably Greece can't afford very much. Perhaps best chance would be either Libya or Northern Egypt and even that would be really hard.

For Greece? Pretty much impossible. However I could imagine King George I being a shareholder in something like the International Congo Society. Not enough for a "Greek Congo" to ever be possible, and it would make him really unpopular at home though since it would appear that he is more concerned with people in Africa than the oppressed Greeks in the Ottoman Empire.