AHC: Keep historical counties of UK

Your challenge is to keep historical boundaries of counties outside of Greater London. Like this:
I have a thread like this but it's asking if it's possible, this is a contest.
historiccounties.png

Last edited:

Devvy

Donor
If you're talking about 100% maintenance, then really really difficult.

Lots of towns and cities now span county borders, which makes administration difficult. Manchester spans the Lancashire/Cheshire border I think. Reading spans Berkshire and Oxfordshire. I think the West Midlands spans across 3 counties, which really complicates things. Yorkshire is a massive entity which will need subdivisions. You also have Lancashire with enclave of North Londsale/Furness. You then have counties in Scotland where barely anyone lives.

I have a thread like this but it's asking if it's possible, this is a contest.
Is there a POD for the AHC? Because I can think of some pretty extreme potential solutions, involving dramatic loss of population etc., but I don't think that is the type of thing you are looking for?

To be clear, I'm trying to clarify, I'm not being snarky (I know it is sometimes hard to tell on-line!)

Is there a POD for the AHC? Because I can think of some pretty extreme potential solutions, involving dramatic loss of population etc., but I don't think that is the type of thing you are looking for?

To be clear, I'm trying to clarify, I'm not being snarky (I know it is sometimes hard to tell on-line!)
POD is anywere you want

Some of these are going to have to become unitary authorities - places like Rutland, Westmoreland and Huntingdonshire; many of the less populous and geographically small Scottish counties; Anglesey, Meirionnydd, Montgomery, Radnor and Brecon in Wales.

Yorkshire might end up with some kind of mezzanine system, with the three ridings acting as sub-counties. Lancashire might need something like that itself.

As for the larger cities, there might be separate Metro Boards, which act to coordinate services across county lines.

POD is anywere you want

Make Counties purly cerimonail/postal, then have some other form of department do the real poltical work?
Putting aside a mass-death scenario, where most of the British population is wiped out and people return to a medieval way of life formed around ancient counties, the purely ceremonial route is the main way I was thinking.
Due to a "return to British heritage" movement, perhaps due to a loss in WW1 (or potentially a loss in WW2, or to a lesser extent even a loss in WW3 although that would probably be a better POD for the mass-death idea) the historic counties are kept, while the actual administration work is done on a much higher level. This could even be linked to some form of devolution (if you wanted, but not necessary) where Scotland, Wales, Cornwall ect. are to all intents and purposes the actual governing bodies, but counties are kept for traditions sake.