The first thread got derailed by modern politics so I'm hoping that the second attempt will last longer. Basically, how can we get Australasia, New Guinea, and Polynesia united under an Orwellian, totalitarian government with a big-brother leader who may or maynot exist by the year 1984? The ruling party having the suffix of soc would be nice as well.

As far as the realism of "a boot stomping on a human face forever", ignoring modern politics I do believe that a hypothetical state could embrace state-sanctioned sadism so long as they have the resources for a paranoia-fueling surveillance state while giving the outer party and proles just barely what they need to work while avoiding starvation.

So there's no way for Australia to become totalitarian? Nineteen Eighty-Four (probably) takes place after a nuclear war, so resetting global politics in the mid-20th century could be a start.

Nineteen Eighty-Four (probably) takes place after a nuclear war

Is that even hinted at anywhere in the book? In Goldstein's tome, he sketches the history leading up to the establishment of the superstates, eg. the British Empire being absorbed by the USA and Europe by the USSR, but doesn't say anything about a nuclear war, as I recall.

So there's no way for Australia to become totalitarian?

I would say no. 1984 has a lot of political insights, but it's a pretty unrealistic idea of what domestic politics would be like anywhere in the anglosphere.

Yes, nation-states swap allies and enemies all the time, but that doesn't mean that a speaker could, within seconds, switch from saying Eurasia is the enemy to saying Eastasia is the enemy, without anyone noticing. When western Communists did that in regards to Nazi Germany, they lost members and were laughed at.

Sir John Monash was primed in 1919 to ensure Australia remained Imperial and National even if extra-parliamentary and extra-constitutional action had to be taken to preserve the *real constitution*.

All you need after that is for mid century Australian conservatives to be useless idiots.

so I guess Menzies migrates to UK after Monash is forced to declare Australia and its NZ protectorate independently loyally British due to the strike wave and London not liking what happened to maintain order.

Add 60 years of economic dislocation and isolation.

Cathcart Defending the National Tuckshop.

Last edited:
Is that even hinted at anywhere in the book? In Goldstein's tome, he sketches the history leading up to the establishment of the superstates, eg. the British Empire being absorbed by the USA and Europe by the USSR, but doesn't say anything about a nuclear war, as I recall.
I’m sure it mentions Colchester being nuked in the anarchy of the early 50s…