AHC: Indonesia wank

Zachariah

Banned
The challenge, with a POD after 1900, is to come up with a plausible alternate timeline which results in Indonesia becoming as rich, powerful and influential as possible by the present day. Bonus points for doing so without the rest of the world having to collapse and/or be destroyed. Up for it?

not possible by that time much of the region is divided by very powerful nations who would have it in their interests in keeping the way things are. IF you were going to go back to the 1500/1600's you having the Dutch colonizing the area from Australia to Taiwan then Indonesia owning it, then yeah, I can see it.

Zachariah

Banned
not possible by that time much of the region is divided by very powerful nations who would have it in their interests in keeping the way things are. IF you were going to go back to the 1500/1600's you having the Dutch colonizing the area from Australia to Taiwan then Indonesia owning it, then yeah, I can see it.
Well, I'm just posing the challenge of making Indonesia as rich, powerful and influential as possible. Not asking for superpower Indonesia- BRICS Indonesia would suffice.

Well, I'm just posing the challenge of making Indonesia as rich, powerful and influential as possible. Not asking for superpower Indonesia- BRICS Indonesia would suffice.
They are in the G-20 give it time in a few decades they will be, current trends have Asia growing economically, all Indonesia say post 1945 would have needed was to have the economic policies of Japan

Riain

Banned
Maybe avoiding that bullshit with the PKI and Confrontations and land grabs might help. A bit of Communism to break up oligopolies is useful for the society but arming up with Soviet weapons and having military confrontations with the Dutch then the British Commonwealth I doubt produced net gains by1970 or so.

I think with such a long POD it should be possible,

I think best is a longer Dutch collapse and therefore independence without the Japanese invasion, maybe as a semi part of the GB commonwealth so you get joined (and therefore take over) Malaya and Singapore (and PNG but that's really irrelevant).

You then want a stable growth without any wars or incidents.....