AHC Have the Philippine Scouts remain a part of the US Regular Army post 1946

01-Aside.jpg

As it says on the tin, what PODs are necessary for the Philippine Scouts to remain a part of the regular US Army following the granting of Philippine independence in July 1946? As I think there is potential for the Philippine Scouts to become the American equivalent of the Gurkha regiments in both the British & Indian Armies.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with their history, here is a link to their Heritage Society.

I can only think of a ‘Ghurka’ like situation where a Regt of PH scouts are kept on the OOB.

However given the large drawdown of US force’s initially to 10 Divisions and then to 8 undermanned ones in the late 40s I struggle to see this happening.

If you mean a unit in the US Army no, but as a US funded unit in the Philippine Army then that might have some merit. Helping the Government of the Philippines have a ready army formation that is fully trained, manned and equipped post WW2 is a good idea in the post war world. Especially with some of the communist and non communist insurgencies that cropped up in the PI after their independence, this make good sense for the US to help the new country.

Have Harry Truman stop thinking like a National Guardsman and keep the Scouts in the US Army as a Gurkha like organization. How many American soldiers died in the first year of the Korean War due to his defense policies?