AHC: Have the Iraq War 2003 have International Support.

Your challenge is to have the American invasion of Iraq have board international support with a POD no earlier than 1992. By which I mean that it is mandated by the UN and more nations than OTL send troops to assist in the invasion and in its aftermath.

Bonus points: If multiple Arab nations join the new coalition against Saddam as they did in 1991.

I actually think that it is impossible without 'cooperation' from Saddam, i.e. a few large massacres or a serious renewed attempt at obtaining/developing WMDs.

EDIT: Wait, did you seriously bump your own thread less than half an hour after starting it?

Rubicon

Banned
ASB :p

I actually think that it is impossible without 'cooperation' from Saddam, i.e. a few large massacres or a serious renewed attempt at obtaining/developing WMDs.

Even then, particularly the European nations would be skeptical toward any 'evidence' presented by the USA against Iraq. You'll need Saddam doing something suicidal like nuking or gasing Israel...

Well one I didn't know that there was a rule against that :confused:. If there is I am sorry but it just off the board so fast that I thought it was appropriate, again sorry if I broke a board tradition or rule :(.

Seconded. Even then, it would still be pretty difficult to get a lot of nations to join.

Well one I didn't know that there was a rule against that :confused:. If there is I am sorry but it just off the board so fast that I thought it was appropriate, again sorry if I broke a board tradition or rule :(.
Not a rule per se (to my knowledge), only extremely fast. Even when you wait 2-3 hours someone is likely to tell you to be more patient.

Not a rule per se (to my knowledge), only extremely fast. Even when you wait 2-3 hours someone is likely to tell you to be more patient.
Thank you for informing me in a such a polite way and I will wait much longer next time.

Now back to the topic, would Iraq having boder clashes with Kuwait or with the Saudi Arabia do anyhting to bloster international support.

Edit: I know its a long shot but.....

Bush keeps his mouth firmly shut.

He spends the time in conference with military and civillian leaders while attempting to negotiate with Sadam. The US military runs a seires of studies into previous occupations such as Afganistan.

The Invasion goes as OTL but within weeks a creditable interium goverment is in place and the major cities are in a sembalence of normality and the first repairs are beginning.

Elections shedueled for 2005 withrawel early 2009

Basiclly a well planned and logical invasion and occupation.

You'd need a president who isn't Da Shrub, you'd need a SecDef who isn't Rumsfeld and above all you'd need sanity. It's been almost 10 years now since that CF, and it still annoys the hell out of me how that collection of inbred idiots stuffed up the post 9-11 world.

Bush going in in early to mid 2002 without asking the UN would have been met with mild tut tuts by France, Germany and Russia. Bush planned on doing so, but Blair convinced him he could win over the UN instead the opposite happened and the delay gave the opposition a year to organize and build and they did just that massively so by the time it happened it was a political storm in Europe.

From a purely PR standpoint Bush should have never gone to the UN and waiting so long after 911 was a big mistake.

Perhaps America moves navel forces into the Persian gulf in preparation for the invasion. Saddam gets word of the invasion plans and panics. He does something stupid like attacking an American ship with aircraft. Due to bad luck or incompetence the ship explodes with a large loss of life. The international public is outraged and Bush gets a UN security council motion passed supporting the invasion.

d32123

Banned
You'd need a president who isn't Da Shrub, you'd need a SecDef who isn't Rumsfeld and above all you'd need sanity. It's been almost 10 years now since that CF, and it still annoys the hell out of me how that collection of inbred idiots stuffed up the post 9-11 world.

Inbred? :confused:

Bush went in without good reason. The world would not support that. To get support youd have to havee saddam do things differently. Failing tthat, its asb, sorry.