Make a way for Virginia to retain WV and KY and create natural borders without losing any of OTL Virginia. Also what impact would that have on American Elections if Virginia got this land during the Revolution?

Virginia refuses to let go of Kentucky, dismissing the locals' petitions. One thing that may help (though I'm not sure how strong the debate was at this point) is for there to be one less free state. Vermont comes to mind, maybe they try to hold out a little while longer but eventually concede to the US and get gobbled up by New York, which had claimed VT. With Kentucky staying part of Virginia, assuming the ACW starts the same as OTL, I think the CSA is practically guaranteed a victory, now having a natural border to the north.

As for elections, it is hard to tell. Removing a state alters migration patterns and the politics of the state its now a part of. "Virginitucky" has now gone from four senators to two and two governors to one. Could Henry Clay be able to dominate VA's politics like he did in KY? Virginia had more Democratic dominance whereas Kentucky had more Whig support, and VA largely outpopulated KY so he may not come into politics like OTL. 1824 is the first election where VA and KY do not vote the same way, so lets assume migration patterns remain unchanged so populations in both states are the same when combined. Assuming Henry Clay is still in politics, he would win his ATL home state of Virginia, but this would not change the outcome of the presidential race.

Last edited:
How would this ensemble evolve in the ACW? How to prevent a lasting secession by montaneers not concerned with protecting slavery? And even before, how would the internal dynamics evolve?

I think and hope Virginia would remain apart of the union but that is biased. I think Virginia could try to devolve the commonwealth’s further and create special administrative divisions like provinces (which could resemble the regions of the 3 states) but that wouldn’t be accepted by the federal government.

I think and hope Virginia would remain apart of the union but that is biased. I think Virginia could try to devolve the commonwealth’s further and create special administrative divisions like provinces (which could resemble the regions of the 3 states) but that wouldn’t be accepted by the federal government.
Maybe something like Tennessee's Grand Divisions but they actually be useful for something?

Maybe something like Tennessee's Grand Divisions but they actually be useful for something?
Probably. Due to Virginia’s large size and population I think provinces could be: Tidewater, Piedmont, Shenandoah, Appalachia, Potomac, Mononghela, Mississippi, and Lexington. Each province could have a legislature.

Last edited:
What about these for natural borders?

natural_virginia.png

What about these for natural borders?

View attachment 737931
I would say only go to the Mississippi, and in the far west those borders are good except for it being too west, but it would go a bit more north to around the Roanoke River and they could create random fake lines that aren’t based on parallels. In the northern part, it would be the Ohio, Mononghela and Youghiogheny Rivers, and the Potomac. On the eastern shore it should be the Nanticoke and the unnamed northern border of Sussex county de. But yours is also good for a mega Virginia!

thank you for commenting! :)