AHC: Create a nation that is a blend of Europeans and East Asians.

Europeans and East Asians have interacted for a long time thanks to the Silk Road. Even today, Korean and Japanese culture is quite popular amongst European and Euro-American societies; and intermarriage between Europeans and East Asians is very high in certain countries.

Curiously though, I don't think there has ever been a country, region, or even island that was primarily populated by Europeans and East Asians. Which is kind of odd, because there have been nations populated by Europeans and Africans (Cape Verde), West Asians and Africans (Comoros), Europeans and Amerindians (Central America), and even Africans and Southeast Asians (Madagascar).

The challenge today is to create some type of distinct area where most of the people there are biracially European and East Asian. And no, the Philippines does not count; most filipinos aren't mestizos.

Maybe somewhere like Singapore? More colonization from Europe combined with existing Chinese immigration to create a new more blended society.

Have Australia ve discovered earlier and have several Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and other pirates, fishermen and so on settle there only to have the Europeans take over.

Europeans and East Asians have interacted for a long time thanks to the Silk Road. Even today, Korean and Japanese culture is quite popular amongst European and Euro-American societies; and intermarriage between Europeans and East Asians is very high in certain countries.

Curiously though, I don't think there has ever been a country, region, or even island that was primarily populated by Europeans and East Asians. Which is kind of odd, because there have been nations populated by Europeans and Africans (Cape Verde), West Asians and Africans (Comoros), Europeans and Amerindians (Central America), and even Africans and Southeast Asians (Madagascar).

The challenge today is to create some type of distinct area where most of the people there are biracially European and East Asian. And no, the Philippines does not count; most filipinos aren't mestizos.
Oahu

Central Asia is a genetic transitional zone between the two sides of Eurasia, so they could very well fulfill the thread's criteria.

Last edited:
Best location would be somewhere in South East Asia or Australia. But big issue is getting people on both side to intermarriage. So with Europeans avoid rise of 19th century racism and make Asians more open with marriage with non-Asians. Perhaps don't make them so isolationist.

Spanish colonize Formosa and buy the south from the Dutch. Formosa remains Spanish with the Qing never invading the island, eventually America wins the Spanish-American war and becomes a protectorate of the Republic of Formosa. The remaining Dutch and Spanish settlers intermarry with locals and Chinese women to create a mestizo people who remain the majority even to this day.

Best location would be somewhere in South East Asia or Australia. But big issue is getting people on both side to intermarriage. So with Europeans avoid rise of 19th century racism and make Asians more open with marriage with non-Asians. Perhaps don't make them so isolationist.
It isn't necessarily much a racism thing (although that is part of it) as it is a sociocultural thing. In those days was more or less tolerated that a white man would have sex with or even marry local women when away from white civilization. But as white civilization spread, this became a taboo thing and the offspring looked down on. Examples would be Metis people in the US and Canada and the many mixed-race people of Australia.

So to answer OP, you'd need to keep the place a distant frontier with never particularly many white settlers, but at the same time not too many Asians either. This would cause the dominant group by numbers and culture to be mixed "Eurasian" people. So as mentioned, Taiwan or Australia would probably be the best bet since that situation could easily occur.

Singapore. Or the modern Anglosphere countries (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand).

The thing is that from what I read, Chinese immigrants did not really go to the West until the 18th and especially 19th centuries (on the other hand, there were Filipinos in the Americas as early as the 16th century). British colonies, especially pre-Enlightenment, were very anti-Catholic and kind of xenophobic. Post Enlightenment, they were much better, but when decolonization happened, most mixed-race Brits went back to Britain (either by their own volition or fled persecution by the post-colonial states). Even then, such mixed-race British aristocracy comprised a very fringe percentage of any colonial population.

Chinese immigrants to the West tended to form their own ethnic communities (or ghettos). Similar to historical Jewish communities I find.

East Timor, on the other hand, I think has a lot of European ancestry, judging by the faces of their leaders.

Going back to the first point, I think the post-Enlightenment consensus of a multicultural world means that the modern globalized West (and Singapore) is the best example of Asians and Europeans living together in harmony. And not necessarily a fringe population either (17% of California's population is of Asian descent [1]; 37% in San Francisco [2] and 12% in Los Angeles [3]).

Going back to Alternate History for a bit. You cannot have a large Asian population in the West until you have the Enlightenment and 19th/20th century globalization.

[1] https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2022/california-asian-population/
[2] https://sfstandard.com/2023/06/22/san-francisco-changing-face-new-racial-demographics-census-data/
[3] https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...st-population-smallest-voting-share-rcna87319

Last edited:
Mexico. Bring in more Chinese/Japanese and start some more new and interesting plagues for the Native American population to decline worse than otl.

If the Indo Europeans invaded South East Asia and committed a genocide against the locals and if the Chinese throughout their history had been more expansionistic, then there is a good chance that there could exist regions of SEA that are a blend of European and East Asian.
Alternatively if the Indo E conquered China and intermingled with the natives, similarly to the Iranians, then you could have a part European part East Asian nation.

If the Indo Europeans invaded South East Asia and committed a genocide against the locals and if the Chinese throughout their history had been more expansionistic, then there is a good chance that there could exist regions of SEA that are a blend of European and East Asian.
Alternatively if the Indo E conquered China and intermingled with the natives, similarly to the Iranians, then you could have a part European part East Asian nation.
I think an Indo European migration into Northern China (plus adjacent regions like Korea and the Russian Far East) is a really interesting premise for a TL.

I think an Indo European migration into Northern China (plus adjacent regions like Korea and the Russian Far East) is a really interesting premise for a TL.
Why is that? Wouldn't the I Europeans just take the role the Turks had? The only changes I can see are cultural