AHC: Create a body of Folk Myths or Folk Hero for Asian-Americans

White Americans certainly have their fair share of folk heroes and mythological characters (think Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, and Fearsome Critters), Blacks have their own (Br'er Rabbit and John Henry), and Indeginous people of course have their own mythologies. However, to my knowledge Asian Americans (East Asian or South Asian) have to my knowledge have never had anything of that sort. I could be wrong and wouldn't mind being corrected, but given that large scale immigration from those nations only started in the latter half of the 1800's and into the 1900's, I can presume that the main reasons are "Time" and "Communities being smaller then other POCs'".

So with a POD of 1750, create a distinct body of folk myths for an Asian-American community, perhaps by taking existing myths from East or South Asian cultures (China, Japan, India, or Filipino) and adding influence from european-american and indeginous cultures, just as African-American folktales did.

One possibility is to import large numbers of Asians to the US sooner, though of course this changes the face of the Asian-American community unrecognizably. Could we get a wave of Filipino settlement in California before Mexican independence? Both were in the Viceroyalty of New Spain, and IOTL there were some Filipinos settling in Acapulco.

White Americans certainly have their fair share of folk heroes and mythological characters (think Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, and Fearsome Critters), Blacks have their own (Br'er Rabbit and John Henry), and Indeginous people of course have their own mythologies. However, to my knowledge Asian Americans (East Asian or South Asian) have to my knowledge have never had anything of that sort. I could be wrong and wouldn't mind being corrected, but given that large scale immigration from those nations only started in the latter half of the 1800's and into the 1900's, I can presume that the main reasons are "Time" and "Communities being smaller then other POCs'".

So with a POD of 1750, create a distinct body of folk myths for an Asian-American community, perhaps by taking existing myths from East or South Asian cultures (China, Japan, India, or Filipino) and adding influence from european-american and indeginous cultures, just as African-American folktales did.
Maybe if USA annex Formosa as Perry wanted?

Idea I just had for an Asian-American folk hero: a Chinese railworker akin to John Henry, doesn't even reqcuire that many butterflies.

Idea I just had for an Asian-American folk hero: a Chinese railworker akin to John Henry, doesn't even reqcuire that many butterflies.
Under that logic John Henry is butterflied away as people might think the Asian American was first or make it more popular

Warrior is based on the writings of Bruce Lee, which was possibly turned into Kung Fu, starring David Carradine.

So imagine if there was a 19th century version of a Bruce Lee movie character.

Maybe have Spain more heavily colonize California with Filipino and Chinese settlers. Maybe even have these settlers cooperate with Mexico and later the US. And all those shifting things build a certain folklore for Asian Americans.

Yeah, this is an interesting prompt. Thanks for giving me a small idea for my Philippine TL.

Your welcome. Though credit me when you do make it.
I already have begun it, but the idea of a more extensive Asian American folklore is interesting indeed...

I already have begun it, but the idea of a more extensive Asian American folklore is interesting indeed...

I meant the foklore bit.

Br'er Rabbit evolved from old African Trickster figures such as Anansi, so what Chinese legends make the jump and evolve with the location?

Offhand I had a crazy idea for Journey to the East, the madcap adventures of the Monkey King in the New World as he aids the immigrants and interacts with various other US cultures and organizations.

"And then the Monkey King stole the handcart, sure that he could beat the Iron Dragon to the mountains..."

Maybe have an Chinese-American hero during the California Gold Rush, like some trickster-esque personality, who is lucky enough to find gold

Br'er Rabbit evolved from old African Trickster figures such as Anansi, so what Chinese legends make the jump and evolve with the location?
Naturally Sun Wukong would be one of them. Maybe the anti-authority elements would become treated more positively, as its a bit harder to treat defying the order of things and the word of authority as bad when you're being harmed by it.

Ooh, idea: Guardian Lions that watch over businesses and railroads, protecting Chinese people from would be lynchers by coming to life!