Status
Not open for further replies.
Your challenge is to come up with a POD that would reverse the political orientations of California and Texas, and have the former be solidly Republican and the latter strongly Democratic.

I know there's lots of reasons why California votes Democrat, but I think a large chunk of it does come down to being a urbanized, well educated, economically developed and ethnically diverse state. Interestingly enough we're already seeing Texas rapidly transform into a purple state in front of us as it becomes more diverse and it's major cities grow, so I do see it as easy enough to make Texas democrat.

The main problem is that flipping their patterns of development is pretty tough. The main way I could see this happening would be to put Silicon Valley and Hollywood in Texas, which alone would probably make it democratic. How you would do this I'm not sure, but a place with as mild a climate as possible on the coast could well work.

Without silicon valley and Hollywood, I could see California maybe being a swing state. The rural areas are already Republican as it is, and this would probably be a self reinforcing cycle, for example without these industries California would have less immigrants, less diversity and less people with a college degree, all factors which would make it lean Republican. I can imagine central valley farmers having more power in a world like that.

Some liberals are puzzled that TX hasn't gone blue because of its large Hispanic population. What they don't realize is that ICE and Border Patrol employees in south Texas are likely to have names like Lopez and Gonzalez...

And California has not been gerrymandered---can you name me one state with more than 3 reps that are not gerrymanded

I'll ignore the OP message and answer the title:
Easy, while reporting the 2000 elections the colors of the parties do not get swapped for some reason and so Red is used for Democrats while Blue is used for Republicans.

Easy, while reporting the 2000 elections the colors of the parties do not get swapped for some reason and so Red is used for Democrats while Blue is used for Republicans.
Like this

That's so easy it's not a challenge at all. Try better and expand the scope of changes.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Current politics, Has to be since this was the actual circumstance as recently as 1976 (California didn't go "Blue" until 1992).

Status
Not open for further replies.