AHC- American Ireland

SunDeep

Banned
As it says; your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to present an ATL where the entire island of Ireland becomes part of the USA by the present day. Bonus points if OTL's Northern Ireland and Ireland still come into being with the same boundaries, and become fully integrated into the USA as separate fully-fledged states.

for certain we need a much more expansionistic America, and much more volatile relationship between America and Britain (and rest of Britain-aligned europe probably)

It's a real stretch but I suppose it's possible if you do a POD where US joins the Central powers in WWI and the Entente lose the war. As a result the UK goes fascist instead of Germany and becomes far more aggressive toward Ireland. WWII leads to thousands of US soldiers being stationed in Ireland. The huge Irish population in the US combined with the ravages of was leads to Ireland requesting permanent protection from England in the form of statehood.

I suppose it's possible if Ireland seriously thought they'd be in danger from a fascist UK.

My idea was an isolationist bend in US politics in the late 1930's, so they're late for the party in terms of WW2, so they only enter after UK was occupied, only really able to gain a foothold in Ireland and other North Atlantic Islands, ending in a stalemate position from there

What if we have a no revolution TL where American-British relations turns into the tail wagging the dog and the capital is eventually moved to a city inside the modern U.S. boundaries? Britain sees this as unacceptable, much like Portugal did with Brazil, and leaves, but for whatever reason (perhaps better treatment of Catholics or a chance at greater autonomy) the Irish stick with the Americans.

Unlikely of course, but I don't think it gets much better for this challenge.

My idea was an isolationist bend in US politics in the late 1930's, so they're late for the party in terms of WW2, so they only enter after UK was occupied, only really able to gain a foothold in Ireland and other North Atlantic Islands, ending in a stalemate position from there

Why would they then turn around and make Ireland a state in such a situation? If they were able to hold Ireland it would make far more sense in such a situation for the British Royal Family to flee to Ireland/Northern Ireland or Canada, as well as much of the British people to flee, and why would the US, even a far more Irish US, decide to put such a thing forward? Further, the Irish people wouldn't exactly run from one imperialist power occupying them and considering them as 'apart of the nation' but not really being apart of the nation, into another, as such it would be in a stalemate position, when it could declare neutrality in the matters of all the world powers and secure itself a secondary Switzerland status, just as it IOTL pursues a policy of neutrality?

Ireland got Poynings Law repealed in 1782.

Could Ireland outright join American rebellion between 1775 and 1782? Especially if French Navy, instead of just sailing across Atlantic and defeating Royal Navy at Virginia Capes, brings the war to British home waters and lands a significant French army on Ireland - could the end result be Ireland joining USA as a State?

SunDeep

Banned
Ireland got Poynings Law repealed in 1782.

Could Ireland outright join American rebellion between 1775 and 1782? Especially if French Navy, instead of just sailing across Atlantic and defeating Royal Navy at Virginia Capes, brings the war to British home waters and lands a significant French army on Ireland - could the end result be Ireland joining USA as a State?

Well, I did just say USA. The 'A' in the USA in this scenario could well stand for 'Atlantic'... ;)

Pre-1900? The Trent Affair leads to war between the Union and the United Kingdom. Which in turn leads to the Irish brigade being landed in Ireland, to generally cause havoc? And - a century and half later - generally leads to Catholic Ireland becoming part of the states?

I just don't see it personally; while Irish-American relations have been close many times in History, the expectation of the Irish people once the USA formed was that the USA should aid them in their own war of Independence from Britain.

I mean, why would the Irish spend so long fighting off the Britain yoke just to fall under the banner of another Anglo-Saxon Protestant nation? Especially so much further away?

There's really no clear benefits for Ireland being an American possession.

The only possible crazy way of doing this would be a scenario where America commits to aiding Ireland during the 1798 Rebellion along with the French and lands troops in Ireland [which given their isolationist policy in that era is more than difficult]. The rebellion succeeds and a Republic is formed, but someone America plants a puppet as head of the Republic, and somehow a successive line of Puppets make Ireland an American possession in all but name.