AHC: Alternative Scrambles for the West Indies

Denmark was interested in Vieques OTL, but did not capitalise on that interest. Like Denmark, Brandenburg was also interested in Vieques. Denmark could perhaps if the situation allowed for it to conquer Puerto Rico. The Danish could attempt so even without Vieques as practical base, since they already owned possesion nearby within the Danish West Indies. Brandenburg did not have a outpost that close to Puerto Rico. Though Brandenburg did claim Vieques once, though they abandoned the claim in the favor of Denmark. Still, while owning a nearby base makes facilitating the conquest of Puerto Rico easier, it is not a must. Brandenburg was also involved in minor scuffles with Spain, mostly involving Brandenburgian privateering of Spanish shipping. Puerto Rico had a low population up to around 1800, when mass immigration began greatly increase the population growth rate. This means that is possible, but not guaranteed that Danish or Brandenburgian rule could shift the culture of the island thru migration.

I don’t really think it’s very likely, if Denmark gain anything major like Puerto Rico, it would be a bribe for taking part in a conflict, which benefitted them little in Europe. So it would pretty much need to be the Spanish Succession War, but the only way I could see Denmark join that war, would be if France hadn’t shown Denmark in Scanian War why you don’t mess with it or its allies.

Another fun POD is Cozumel becoming a US territory by way of the Republic of Texas.

In 1837, the Texas navy claimed the island for the Republic of Texas (http://everythingcozumel.com/cozumel-history/cozumel-texas/). Had Texas maintained the claim, Cozumel would like become a federal territory of the USA upon Texas' entrance to the Union in 1845.

I have always wondered how a more U.S. influenced Carribbean would have looked like? Statehood not likely until post WW2, but a larger territorial presence and its impact?

There’s Providence Island, a colony for English Puritans that ended up as a privateer base before getting conquered by Spain. If it avoided its many colonial missteps maybe it could stay English if not Puritan.

Maybe Scotland could get something if they targeted somewhere else for the Darien Scheme, it’s hard to imagine things going worse than OTL.

5. A lot of potential in the peace talks for the ARW. Britain held out the possibility of trading Gibraltar for Puerto Rico according to the book, Spain and the American Revolution. In addition: Spain controlled the Bahamas after the war and traded it for East Florida, so a POD is this trade doesn't happen. The USA could have ended up with the Bahamas as well if they didn't lose control mid-war. France conquered Tobago, Turks & Caicos, Grenada, St. Vincent, Dominica, St. Kitts, and Montserrat, while losing St. Lucia to the British by the end of the war. France got St. Lucia back and gained Tobago, but gave everything back, which always made zero sense to me. France got quite a nice haul and could easily keep more islands. The UK probably gets most of them back in the Napoleonic Wars, but France may get to keep some of that haul in the long-run post war which they could still have today.

I have wondered about this as well. France also regained Senegal but still, it seems like not a very equitable outcome, considering the value of Caribbean islands at the time.

Did the representatives in the peace talks know exactly which territories had been conquered?

Speaking as a Dutchman, it's quite the shame we never set up shop in Louisiana. It looks like a match made in heaven at first glance as far as terrain goes. Who knows, by the 21st century we might have had a landbridge to the Yucatan.

Speaking as a Dutchman, it's quite the shame we never set up shop in Louisiana. It looks like a match made in heaven at first glance as far as terrain goes. Who knows, by the 21st century we might have had a landbridge to the Yucatan.
A Louisiana full of polders and canals could be fun indeed, though the Dutch would also have to adapt to the regular storms and hurricanes. New Amsterdam instead of New Orleans... Also that would give them a good hold on the Gulf of Mexico.

Maybe Scotland could get something if they targeted somewhere else for the Darien Scheme, it’s hard to imagine things going worse than OTL.
So :
1) A better administration of the Company of Scotland and then expanding from Darien
or
2) Picking a better first location to settle, but in the 1690s, there doesn't seem to be that many good spots left, maybe start the Scheme earlier ?

Puerto Rico had a low population up to around 1800, when mass immigration began greatly increase the population growth rate. This means that is possible, but not guaranteed that Danish or Brandenburgian rule could shift the culture of the island thru migration.

Denmark population was small compared to other European nations so I wonder how they could properly settle... "Righavn" does have a ring to it though.

3. The Knights Hospitaller controlled several Caribbean islands in the 1600s. Had the Knights Hospitaller kept the islands into the Napoleonic Wars, they could establish themselves as an independent microstate in the Caribbean as the islands would be the only sovereign territory they'd own after the UK takes over Malta. Territory of this new state could consist of St. Kitts, St. Croix, St. Barts, and St. Martin (this can't co-exist with a Spanish St. Martin though). In TTL, the Knights of Malta will not be the only sovereign entity without a state, they would have one!
A Maltese archipelago sounds great ! They would probably be a bit of an oddity compared to the rest of the Caribbean, but looking at how they sustain and evolve through the centuries could make for a great timeline.

A Louisiana full of polders and canals could be fun indeed, though the Dutch would also have to adapt to the regular storms and hurricanes. New Amsterdam instead of New Orleans... Also that would give them a good hold on the Gulf of Mexico.
I thought the region of New Orleans had very different waterproblems than the Netherlands has.

I don’t really think it’s very likely, if Denmark gain anything major like Puerto Rico, it would be a bribe for taking part in a conflict, which benefitted them little in Europe. So it would pretty much need to be the Spanish Succession War, but the only way I could see Denmark join that war, would be if France hadn’t shown Denmark in Scanian War why you don’t mess with it or its allies.
Then I suppose that Florida is also too major for Denmark to gain.

Last edited:
Very interesting subject but also very vast!
Between 1500 and 1900 the West Indies very often changed hands depending on conflicts, belligerents, victories and defeats. It is thus very easy to find oneself with totally different colonial empires, the question being to know which POD and which period one uses.
What can be amusing indeed is to bring nations to have more control over the West Indies or even bring nations that have not colonized the OTL region.
I once saw a duchy of Mecklenburg take possession of a few islands on a map. But another idea that I find amusing is the colonial empire of the Curland Duchy that had OTL control over Tobago and Trinidad (and Gambia in Africa). One could imagine a successful 17th century for Poland, which keeps the Curland Spit under its suzerainty and supports the Curland settlement attempts. Then the Curland spit goes bankrupt and Poland buys Tobago and Trinidad. Poland ends up with a small colonial empire.

Last edited:
They seems pretty similar to the problem Netherlands see in Zeeland.
This is what I heard when there was a newsitem a couple of years back about New Orleans and why they didn't simply build dkes like we do. They said that in the New Orleans region there were several differences between the situation in the Netherlands so that simply building dikes was not enough. I can't remember it exactly what the differences were. But at least one major difference is that there simply are any hurricanes in the Netherlands. Also I believe a major problem is that New Orleans is slowly sinking. Although I guess that building the city on poles, like cities in the Netherlands are, might have prevented it. As I said, it has been awhile since I saw that news item.

The British did capture, after several previous abortive plans, Havana in 1762, then gave it back in the peace treaty.
An Anglo-Cuba is not completely implausible.

I'm honestly surprised that the Portuguese Empire never had much of a presence north of the Guyanas.
The Treaty of Tordesillas forbade it. Obviously it could be violated like it was in Brazil and elsewhere but pushing into the jungle is different than settling an island.

I could see Portuguese Bermuda (I guess that counts as West Indies, right?) working out though. It's pretty remote and could be misplaced on a sea chart letting Portugal establish a claim or they could work it out with a treaty, maybe in recognition of some other Spanish claim. OTL both powers knew of and stopped at Bermuda but didn't settle.

Some other ideas:

The English originally wanted to capture Hispaniola in the 1655 expedition but this failed, as the Spanish expected the attack and improved their defenses. It only after this that the English turned to Jamaica as a backup plan. So an English Hispaniola (would its name be changed?) seems plausible with some kind of POD that prevents Spain from reinforcing Santo Domingo.

Alternatively, if the Bourbons do not gain the Spanish throne in the WSS, we likely see further French incursions into Spanish territory. France had been very interested in expanding at the expense of Spain up to that point. It was in the treaty of Ryswick of 1697, just before, that France officially gained Saint-Domingue.

And then if the Franco-Dutch alliance does not break down in the 1660s, we likely also see the Dutch continue to attack Spanish possessions. Fear of Louis XIV drove them IOTL to form a rapprochement with the Spanish but if he can keep them on his side, that will not happen.

Last edited:

Osman Aga

Banned
I'm wondering what various patterns of colonisation for the West Indies could have unfolded:
Spain was obviously the country who started it all up, followed by England, France and the United Provinces. And then through wars isles were passed between power...

... but what if those countries choose to settle different islands between each other, e.g. could we have had an English Cuba, a Dutch Saint Domingue, a French Jamaica, Spanish Bahamas, Could Columbus actually land first in the lesser Antilles and focus early settlements there...

... and what if other powers joined in the process, and what would be their most likely takes, e.g the Danes taking a stronger hold than IOTL, the Portuguese sneaking past the treaty of Tordesillas, other European powers (not many major powers left, but maybe a few potential outsiders) taking a share....

View attachment 554863

A lot of things are possible if done early enough, for the big islands like Cuba and Hispaniola. The rest are pretty much easy to change from hands. Hell you can even have Moroccan/Algerian Pirates settling in small islands of the Lesser Antilles and use it as a base to raid Spanish/Portuguese/French shipping. Or you can have Russians in for example St Kitts and Nevis.

Osman Aga

Banned
The Treaty of Tordesillas forbade it. Obviously it could be violated like it was in Brazil and elsewhere but pushing into the jungle is different than settling an island.

I could see Portuguese Bermuda (I guess that counts as West Indies, right?) working out though. It's pretty remote and could be misplaced on a sea chart letting Portugal establish a claim or they could work it out with a treaty, maybe in recognition of some other Spanish claim. OTL both powers knew of and stopped at Bermuda but didn't settle.

Even in the 17th century on an island like Barbados?