AHC: Alternate European Capitals

In Portugal after the 1755 earthquake Coimbra was supposed to become the new capital thanksfully Pombal insisted on rebuilding Lisbon (which was , thanks to the Brazilian gold, one of the largest port of Europe) and the capital stayed there.

I think Mitau/Jelgava could become the capital of Latvia, since it was the capital of Couronia. Maybe if Riga became a free city post ww1, like Danzig and Memel.

Kaunas could remain Lithuania's capital if Vilnius is never re-taken.

Turku is a pretty obvious choice for Finland, as already brought up in this thread. I have heard Porvoo mentioned in these speculations too as one of the options Alexander I could have chosen instead of Helsinki. Porvoo was a place where the Diet of 1809 met and the Finnish autonomy in the Russian Empire was established.

Last edited:
Riga, as it's an excellent Baltic Sea port. Could be the capital of, for example, a larger Medieval Lithuania that annexes OTL Latvia and Estonia after the Livonian/Teutonic Knights fail to establish themselves in the area.

Let's make as many countries have alternate capitals as possible, it shouldn't be too hard, since most territories nowadays are more determined by ethnic groups than be royal houses.

Portugal - Coimbra, I think it was the capital for a time, not sure though
Spain - Toledo
France - Orleans, have Paris be less important of a city and any house which becomes King could move it back to their home. Also Versailles.
UK - York
Ireland - Cork, anywhere really depending on how Ireland is united
Belgium - Liege, perhaps forming from an expansion of the bishopric lands
Netherlands - Amsterdam, no role for The Hague
Germany - literally anywhere
Norway - see post above mine
Sweden - Uppsala, historically most significant city, or build Stockholm in a slightly different place and call it something different
Finland - Turku
Estonia - Pärnu, don't found Talinn
Latvia - probably have to found Riga in a slightly different location and call it something different, its location is too good
Lithuania - have king Gediminas go hunting somewhere else, and you don't found Vilnius
Russia - Novgorod, Tver, Vladimir, or whichever other state unites Russia; or just keep it in Petrograd
Belarus - idk, another vague one where it could be a lot of places, perhaps Polotsk or Pinsk
Ukraine - Chernihiv or another historic principality capital in the country, pretty much the same situation as Russia and Belarus
Moldova - have another city be bigger/more important than Chisinau when Moldova is form
Romania - Alba Iulia, see Zagan's Romania-wank (the original one)
Bulgaria - Tarnovo stays the capital
Greece - Konstantinoupouli of course :p or Salonica
Northern Macedonia - Bitola (Monastir)
Albania - Durres; Vlore could work too
Bosnia - Visoko, capital in late 1300's, or Banja Luka depending on how ethnic balance shakes out
Serbia - Kragujevac, see above
Croatia - Perhaps a coastal city like Rijeka or Zadar, also was addressed earlier
Slovenia - Celje, seat of the powerful Counts of Celje, or Maribor, the second-largest city
Hungary - Buda, or Pest
Slovakia - Somewhere further from the border if not united with Czechia, like Kosice
Poland - Krakow, or the Moon
Czechia - Brno if Moravia has greater importance, otherwise Prague seems pretty entrenched
Austria - Graz, if Austria is centered on Styria; Steyr or Linz are pretty central too, but anything after Habsburgs would have to be Vienna
Switzerland - Zurich is a decent candidate
Italy - Turin if S-P Kings decide not to move, or Florence for a similar reason, or Naples if the Two Sicilies unite Italy, or pretty much anywhere else

That should be everyone other than the microstates. Whether you can realistically piece together a history that keeps all of these countries recognizable is another question
Belarus.. Vilno, or pinsk, polotsk, or one of the regional capitals

Ukraine.. Kyiv, charniv, lviv, or bust

Amsterdam IS the capital of NL. Another sollution could be Brussel or The Hague, or even Utrecht
I like Utrecht as capital, as it is the place were the quasi constitution was signed, becoming the meetingplace of the Estates General after the reconquest of the south by Parma. I also like to suggest Dordrecht, eldest city of Holland and also a meeting place when the revolt was only limited to Holland.