AHC: Air Conditioning Less Popular

Delta Force

Banned
The PoD isn't for air conditioning to not be developed, but for it to be less common. For example, France is a wealthy developed country with low electricity prices, but air conditioning isn't common there.

Fewer million people emigrate to hot American states south of the Amazon-Dixon Line.
Far fewer white folks in Southern California, which means that Latinos might still dominate.
No gentrification of Atlanta means far fewer corporate headquarters moving from Northern States.
Without air conditioning, fewer factories migrate to the Virginias, the Carolinas, etc. meaning that Rust Belt cities retain much of their 1960s-vintage economic clout.
Lower population density means fewer deaths when Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans.
Fewer old folks retire to Florida and Arizona.

Arizona can use a swamp cooler not as comfortable but better then fans.

Driftless

Donor
The PoD isn't for air conditioning to not be developed, but for it to be less common. For example, France is a wealthy developed country with low electricity prices, but air conditioning isn't common there.

Understood, but by comparisson much of France has a less hot temperatures than large areas of the US.

Paris (In Farenheit)

average-temperature-france-paris-fahrenheit.png

Dallas, TX

average-temperature-united-states-of-america-dallas-fahrenheit.png

Even Chicago has somewhat higher averages than Paris and can spike to 100* F in the summer, with high humidty

Last edited:

It's also not as common in some parts of the US. In Washington State you can buy cars that don't have air conditioning. When I lived in Massachusetts, my place didn't have air conditioning (I bought a wall unit).

If you go down the route of A/C being feasible but uneconomic for small-scale use, computing may be a case where the heat load forces you to accept the cost. That makes server farms more expensive to run, of course.

Liquid cooling with forced-draught radiators is an option too, of course; whether that's preferable to expensive air conditioning systems depends on cost.

Things being more expensive could have some interesting butterfly effects on how mass usage computer systems are developed and are used but I'm not well versed enough on the issue to say how.

It's also not as common in some parts of the US. In Washington State you can buy cars that don't have air conditioning. When I lived in Massachusetts, my place didn't have air conditioning (I bought a wall unit).

In Massachusetts, it's unusual to have central AC, but it's considerably more common in new(er) or nicer homes. I live in a place that was built around 1960, and it has a central air system from that era that I still can't believe survived this long.

You can live without air conditioning in New England if you must, but there are at least a few weeks in the summer in which the heat and humidity combined makes that an utterly miserable experience.

That ancient AC unit must make the watt-hour meter spin like crazy given how inefficient those early units were: real electricity hogs. It's also a wonder it's held the refrigerant charge so long.

My own take on the situation is that AC units became more widespread as price-both purchase and operating-dropped. Earlier window units were real brutes, weighing several hundred pounds each and requiring a 220VAC line, for example. Slow the development of lighter, more efficient units (or perhaps siphon them off for military applications in the heat and humidity of Viet Nam) and maybe you'd accomplish the objective.

Cultural Response

Perhaps rather than a technological POD, have some seriously whacko cultural troglodytes make a successful case for Air Conditioning being unhealthy, for whatever reason (like anti-vaxxers on steroids). Then you would have the tech, merely unused due to cultural norms. People might even brag about sweating in the summertime. :eek:

Driftless

Donor
Perhaps rather than a technological POD, have some seriously whacko cultural troglodytes make a successful case for Air Conditioning being unhealthy, for whatever reason (like anti-vaxxers on steroids). Then you would have the tech, merely unused due to cultural norms. People might even brag about sweating in the summertime. :eek:

Legionaires Disease. There was a flutter of concern about the connection with ducted A/C in the hotel where there were several respiratory related deaths during an American Legion convention in 1976.

The first recognized cases of Legionnaires' disease occurred in 1976 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Among more than 2000 attendees of a Legionnaires' convention held at the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, 221 attendees contracted the disease and 34 of them died.[38]
In April 1985, 175 people in Stafford, England, were admitted to the District or Kingsmead Stafford Hospitals with chest infection or pneumonia. A total of 28 people died. Medical diagnosis showed that Legionnaires' disease was responsible and the immediate epidemiological investigation traced the source of the infection to the air-conditioning cooling tower on the roof of Stafford District Hospital.

So, all you need?

Legionaires Disease. There was a flutter of concern about the connection with ducted A/C in the hotel where there were several respiratory related deaths during an American Legion convention in 1976.

All you need is to have a major hotel install AC in the mid-Fifties and have one of these things happen? Might work, if the panic mill gets going on it.

In Massachusetts, it's unusual to have central AC, but it's considerably more common in new(er) or nicer homes. I live in a place that was built around 1960, and it has a central air system from that era that I still can't believe survived this long.

You can live without air conditioning in New England if you must, but there are at least a few weeks in the summer in which the heat and humidity combined makes that an utterly miserable experience.
Likewise in northern Ohio. Of all the rental houses I lived in during my years in Cleveland, only ONE of them had central air. In the rest I relied on the lake breeze (I lived within half a mile of the shoreline), fans, and cold showers. I'm sound-sensitive, so window air conditioners really weren't an option for me -- listening to that much noise will destroy my sanity faster than sweltering heat and humidity will.

marathag

Banned
All you need is to have a major hotel install AC in the mid-Fifties and have one of these things happen? Might work, if the panic mill gets going on it.

More from the use of water contamination in large chillers/storage tanks, than it just being forced air cooling in homes.

Almost more likely to get that from hotel hot water taps that don't get hot enough than from condensate from the A/C evaporator