AHC: A foreign country petitions to join the USA

In the early 20th century it was believed by some (though not many) that Panama, upon seeing their prosperity soar due to the new Panama Canal, would petition to join the US as a state. Obviously, that never happened.

What countries might petition to join the USA, and would the USA accept it?

Some ideas:

Cuba, 1901-1930: Probably the most obvious one; Even though the Teller Amendment of 1897 ensured that the US wouldn't just take Cuba, it might be possible to keep the US a positive influence in Cuba if the Platt Amendment could be butterflied away and the country not turned into a Banana Republic.

Liberia, 1909-1926: Given that Liberia was founded by American settlers, and European powers were threatening it during the buildup to WWI, different leadership in Liberia could potentially just ask the US to help them govern.

Panama, 1903-1914: Given that the US was heavily involved in Panamanian politics from its independence until the final handover of the PCZ in 1999-2000, it's not unthinkable that one of the US's cronies might have the ambition to try and get them to take Panama as a full US state.

Nicaragua, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, 1900-1934: These are a little bit more far-fetched, given that the various US agricultural companies had a vested interest in keeping these nations as banana republics. Even so, perhaps one country might petition the US as a form of political statement, knowing full well that

Belize, Jamaica, The Bahamas, Guyana, Trinidad, Barbados, etc. 1966-present: If any of the prior countries are accepted as US states or territories in the early 20th century, and if they prosper under those conditions, then it opens the door for many former British colonies to try their own hand at joining. In OTL, there hasn't been any real interest in US annexation except in Guyana. Of course, this all assumes that the general trend of decolonization is not butterflied away.

El Salvador, 1992: By the time the Salvadoran Civil War ended, around 20% of all Salvadorans lived in the USA. With the USA instrumental in brokering a peace deal, perhaps an influential faction in the country would seek full statehood to help in the rebuilding process. This event in particular is probably very sensitive to butterflies.

EDIT: The time frame should be post-1900.

Last edited:
There were elements in Sicily that wanted to join with the United States. And, I believe there was even a plan to annex Sicily and possibly Southern Italy if they went communist in the 1946 elections.

How about Puerto Rico votes to become independent, finds out it's more than they bargained for, and after a couple of decades filled corruption, poverty and an economy in ruins, the Republic of Puerto Rico comes running back to the USA petitioning to become the 51st state.

don't forget the Philippines. there was a movement to become an American state.

of course, the government then didn't want us because we would have flooded them with millions of brown people.

don't forget the Philippines. there was a movement to become an American state.

of course, the government then didn't want us because we would have flooded them with millions of brown people.

Real enlightened attitude there.

Considering that most Filipinos would have stayed in the Philippines, there would be no real issue in Congress. Despite that attitude some people have for previous generations, they were not all pig-headed. Just take a look at Hawaii. I don't even think the South would be overly worried about millions of Filipinos unless they tried flooding into their States.

Real enlightened attitude there.

Considering that most Filipinos would have stayed in the Philippines, there would be no real issue in Congress. Despite that attitude some people have for previous generations, they were not all pig-headed. Just take a look at Hawaii. I don't even think the South would be overly worried about millions of Filipinos unless they tried flooding into their States.

Errr... Considering the Supreme Court twisted the Constitution to keep brown Philippinos out of the States, I think his statement is entirely correct.

Driftless

Donor
I think the situation with the Philippines & Cuba would have gone beyond race. The distance would be a factor for the Philippine, Cuba and the Philippines are/were predominately Roman Catholic, which at some points in US history would have been a major problem for many of elites(consider the treatment of early Irish, Italian, Hispanic, French Canadians, etc).

Another political point of leverage would have been proportional representation. In 1910, the Philippines population was north of 8 million I believe, which would have made it the second most populous state after New York. If the Philippines came into the US as more than one state, which you could easily make a case for, then you also create two more senate seats. The Philippines would have entered the Union with a pretty fair amount of political leverage; which would definitely be considered as a threat to entrenched political interests

Cuba was north of 2 million in 1910, but with more direct financial and geographic connections to the US mainland.

Liberia, 1909-1926: Given that Liberia was founded by American settlers...

Just have Liberia not hold a vote to secede in the 1800s.

Nicaragua, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, 1900-1934: These are a little bit more far-fetched, given that the various US agricultural companies had a vested interest in keeping these nations as banana republics. Even so, perhaps one country might petition the US as a form of political statement, knowing full well that

Santo Domingo asked for annexation OTL. I think Haiti did at one point, too. As did El Salvador.

El Salvador, 1992:

Oh, my reference was the 1800s, but this works, too.

What about Ecuador? They use the US dollar exclusively already; why not be a full state and get the trade rights and privileges therein? Never mind everything else.

don’t forget the Philippines. there was a movement to become an American state. of course, the government then didn't want us because we would have flooded them with millions of brown people.

1. No, not racism.
2. Do you still want to be? Because I’ll be first in line to campaign to bring you guys back to the Union. Love to have you all.

Iceland might be - or rather, might have been - doable.

In that same vein (and time period), Greenland, though it’s not its own country.

Newfoundland, 1948

Yep, that, too. I’ve heard from a few sources that had the various historic Quebec secession movements succeeded the Maritimes may have also entered into talks to join the Union.