AHC: A comic book "Big 3" -- Which company could legitimately rival Marvel and DC?

To many, comics have always been Marvel, DC and a bunch of other ones that nobody cares about. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it's rooted in some form of truth. Marvel and DC have made up over 80% of the comic book market combined for much of history since the early '70s (when Marvel usurped DC as the top comic publisher). That means that just under 20% of the market was shared between the many, many other publishers such as Image, Dark Horse, Valiant, Archie, Malibu, Oni, and so on, making it the equivalent of lesser beings fighting over scraps. Image was the only exception to this, but only briefly.

When Image first launched in 1992, the company had seen such a massive sales explosion that for a brief period it uprooted DC as the second biggest publisher in America. No American company since then has done that. However, this was very much short lived, and they settled back in a distant third place where they mainly competed with Dark Horse, IDW, Boom, Dynamite as the top indie companies.

So it makes me wonder: Is there any company in comic book history that could've been a legitimate rival to Marvel and DC?

Note that just being third place isn't enough. I mean that said company would have to pose a significant rivalry to Marvel and DC's market share, and force the Big 2 to compete directly with them, rather than leading the remaining 20% of it. Which company would be most likely to do that?

I think Valiant would probably stand the best chance. It was founded by Jim Shooter, had a clever take on superheroes with characters that drew from mythology, pulp stories, science fiction, military, and modern comics, to create a distinct entity of its own. You had superheroes like X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Turok, Solar, Magnus, Archer & Armstrong, Rai, Shadowman, H.A.R.D. Corps, Ivar Timewalker, and probably more. Valiant had sold over 85 million comics in just a few years. What doomed the company was a lot of bad luck financially, and with the higher management, causing the company to deteriorate before an ill-fated buyout by Acclaim, then a closure. However, if things went better then maybe it would've gave Marvel and DC serious trouble in the market.

But what do you think? Any ideas for this?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . since the early '70s (when Marvel usurped DC as the top comic publisher). That means that just under 20% of the market was shared between the many, many other publishers . . .
Maybe the social commentary of the 1970s finds a way, such as:

——————

2F385E12-4E78-433A-92E6-FA3C745587F3.jpeg

Mad Magazine being brave enough to mention corporations by name, even making fun of their logos and trademarks!

———————-
81ryBEMMM-L._SL1500_.jpg

The idea that a person has an even more important secret job.

————————-

the-simpsons-season-31-episode-13-frinkcoin.png

And The Simpsons!

—————-

So, a comic might do something as standard as a reporter who’s a super hero, but we include snippets of quick, snappy social commentary which joyfully take on actual corporations.

It still a great comic, with a thoroughly worthwhile super hero. Just the occasional quick snippet to give it a little extra bite.

Last edited:
Best chance is no Seduction of the Innocent so EC Comics maintains its horror/mystery vibes
That’s interesting. So could EC be the #1 alternative to superheroes in this timeline? In fact, would that mean more variety of genres and styles throughout the Silver and Bronze Age?

Best chance is no Seduction of the Innocent so EC Comics maintains its horror/mystery vibes
I was going to say this- eliminate the Comics Code Authority and you are probably going to get a lot more variety within the medium earlier, and that is going to do a lot to make consolidation and a bipolar result less likely.

That’s interesting. So could EC be the #1 alternative to superheroes in this timeline? In fact, would that mean more variety of genres and styles throughout the Silver and Bronze Age?

I could see this happening. I've sometimes thought of doing a best of all possible world for comics TL where EC stays in business and is popular and as a result the earlier diversity in comics we saw (Both Marvel and DC had non superhero stuff in the early days) results in comics being more maintstream, akin to manga in Japan where there a much larger range in age group and gender then in the states.

Classics Illustrated used to be the biggest selling series in he 50s. That belonged to Elliot Publishing Company. Maybe Elliot tries branching out into other series, or buys out another company.
Dell Comics was a partnership between Dell Publishing and Western Publishing, until Western backed out. Could Dell Publishing and Elliot Publishing team up?
The best Silver Age comics I've read were from Charlton, and that company lasted until '83. I suppose that company could have grown and merged with someone else, say, Tower or Harvey for example.
Also, one company might be able to make a killing by dominating the American market on both manga and American licensed properties. Harvey and Dell did a great job in licensed properties.

I could see this happening. I've sometimes thought of doing a best of all possible world for comics TL where EC stays in business and is popular and as a result the earlier diversity in comics we saw (Both Marvel and DC had non superhero stuff in the early days) results in comics being more maintstream, akin to manga in Japan where there a much larger range in age group and gender then in the states.
That sounds cool. On one hand, comics kind of were in that position with manga from the '80s and the '90s -- Jim Shooter boasted how every comic made under Marvel during his tenure was selling 100K a month minimum, and often selling way more than that. Consider that this includes reprint or anthology titles like Marvel Tales or Marvel Fanfare, or their licenses like Indiana Jones, Doctor Who, Conan the Barbarian, Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Transformers or the freaking Care Bears, or D-Listers like Captain Britain, the Power Pack, Eternals, and Dazzler, or all the various adjacent titles like Web of Spider-Man, West Coast Avengers, New Mutants, plus all the X-Men miniseries like Wolverine, Magik, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Longshot etc.

They were all pulling six figures each time. Not just the A-Listers, not just for special events, new #1s, not just for overhyped or overshipped issues. All of them. He said this as he lambasted the utter incompetence of modern comics where pulling 30K is seen as a good thing even for A-list characters getting billion dollar movies. This also meant that DC had similar success, and the indies from then do even better than mainstream comics do now, because the market supported it.

That said, while the audience was certainly big to be sure, the diversity of said audience was lacking compared to manga. Not a bad thing, but it is interesting how in Japan there's manga for everyone, and in a way that actually makes sense. Whereas here it was mainly a guy thing, and attempts in recent years to "expand" the audience have gone horribly wrong.

A timeline where comics have more diversity in genres and audience, where people can get their fix on Spider-Man, Batman and the rest, but also read romance, science fiction, non-superhero action and horror comics easily, and it's a widely held pastime, is a cool one.

Last edited:
Drop the price?
Getting multiple comics each month is expensive.
Used up most of my allowance, back in the day.
So, corporate backing/ad comics?
Featuring corporate mascots, promoting their products, while still being well done stories, but, cheaper, because they have corporate sponsorship.
Have one company do all of them.
Did Dell do Disney back in the day?
Because maybe Disney gets into publishing, has comic book stores at the parks, selling their stuff, subscriptions through other magazines, Boys Life, Redbook, Readers Digest (“I bought it for my grandson” sort of thing).

After a bit more research, one blogger wrote that if people on report on comics did so more accurately, they'd see the big three are 1) Scholastic, 2) Marvel, and 3) DC. Archie ranks super-high too because of the massive sales of its digests. And apparently there's a company that sells an enormous amount of imported manga to the US.
I can't find the numbers though.

Quality Comics could have been a competitor way before Marvel hit the scene. They were getting into anti-communist superheroics in the early 50s and they could have made it work into the 60s.

I would vote for Fawcett if they can somehow decisively win the lawsuit DC filed against them. Captain Marvel was super popular in the Golden Age and could have easily carried the imprint had they been able to continue publishing him.