AHC: A Celebrity winning the Presidency.

Don't let the title fool you, I am not talking about your Reagans or other famous people who went into politics, I am talking about famous Directors, Producer's, Comedians, Satirist's, etc. running without any former political experience. Would anyone have a chance, if someone would win who do you think that would be, how would someone with no experience at all handle the presidency.

Well, I think Willkie was the last non-military figure to be nominated without prior electoral or government experience. He was something of a celebrity, so perhaps him winning would count.

From what I have been led to believe Regan wasn't that big of an actor, although i could be mistaken. In awnser to the op, i don't really think it possible, as how would someone with NO political experience (or military, after a major war) be nominated by one of the big parties?

Ahh I did not know that, Meadow. thanks. Ben Afflick, seriously? I would rather Christoper Walken, Harrison Ford or Morgan Freeman, or someone along those lines. oh maybe Bill Murry, that would be fun!

Since we're going by the definition of celebrity as just "not a politician", and Wendell Wilkie has counted, do other businessman like Ross Perot and Donald Trump count?

what about someone who played president on television? though they wouldn't be able to claim this as "experience" it may make them look qualified in the eyes of the electorate?

Naked Cowboy's running for president next year on the Tea Party ticket. He has some chance of winning.

Deleted member 16736

I always thought Robert Redford would have had a particularly successful political career if he could ever get himself away from movies. He's earnest about what he believes without coming off as a left-wing nut job even though he does stake out some pretty hard left stances. Maybe if he gets into it before he goes on record with some of those.

As a for instance: Redford looks at the field for the Democratic nomination in 1992 and is particularly unimpressed. No one is talking about the environment, no one is talking about welfare, no one is talking about any of the things that matter except for the economy. So Redford decides to jump in the race. Hell, he has enough money and higher name recognition and lower negatives than most of the other candidates, so why not? In a particularly weak field he places a surprise second in New Hampshire and gets a virtual three way tie in Maine with Tsongas and Brown. He might not come very close in South Dakota, but he's already got the momentum going into Super Tuesday where he wins Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Washington state. Over the next few days he wins Arizona, Wyoming and Nevada. The momentum is entirely his at this point, and he is going to pick up a few endorsements; maybe from Brown and Tsongas(?). Anyhow, it's enough to sustain him through Clinton's wins in the south on the Second Super Tuesday. The field narrows to him and Clinton, and Redford ends up winning at the convention thanks to several late endorsements. He would pick, out of necessity for political and foreign policy experience, Lee Hamilton.

1992 is a good year for Redford, too, because there's going to be a three way split in the vote. His charisma and youth, relative to Bush and Perot, are going to be huge in the debates. A generation of people tired of conservatism will vote for the handsome breath of fresh air. So I think he wins. Even if he doesn't win outright, well congress is controlled by the Democrats so he'll get in either way.

How his presidency goes is anyone's guess. I foresee two terms if the GOP nominates Dole as in OTL.

Challenge completed?