AH Vignette: Channel Dogs (1969)

CHANNEL DOGS

“Channel Dogs is a 1969 neo-Western film directed by Kerry McGowan and starring Max Hampstead, Masaharu Atsumi, Cassius Smalls Jr. and Kelsey Jackson. The film is based on the 1921 hijacking of the Areuto Maru, a Japanese-owned merchant steamer, by the predominantly White Alaskan Hinchinbrook Island Gang. Despite its notoriety as a criminal escapade, politically, the incident was relatively minor in importance. Still, attacks on merchant shipping off the Alaskan Republic’s coast eventually prompted an increased Japanese naval presence in the region, a precipitating factor to the Pacific War.

Upon release, Channel Dogs received broad critical and audience acclaim, particularly for the film’s innovative cinematography and storytelling structure. Smalls Jr.’s breakout performance as Benjamin “Blackfish” Bailey also received widespread praise, and is broadly considered to be the role that launched his later career as a neo-Western star.

The film received six nominations at the National Film Awards and won three, for Best Feature, Best Score and Best Film Editing. Despite this, however, Channel Dogs was heavily criticized for its heavy use of graphic violence and the depiction of the behavior of the notoriously brutal Hinchinbrook Island Gang as somewhat heroic. The film was also extremely controversial overseas, particularly in Japan, where the Yoshida government banned it from theatres as a “threat to public order”. A boycott of the film in the United States was organized by the Council for Japanese-American Relations for its “offensive portrayal” of Japanese people….”

--FROM SARIPEDIA.EDU, “Channel Dogs (1969 film)"

CXfrrw8.jpg

EXT. DOCKS - MORNING

The early morning light illuminates the town. Docks, hosting a number of battered fishing boats, stretch out into the harbor. The sound of gulls is audible. The Areuto Maru sits idle. Men move back and forth, unloading and loading goods onto the ship.

PAN TO TOWN​

Clapboard houses are visible, as are the spires of two churches - a Russian Orthodox onion dome and a simple cross - and a Buddhist shrine.

PAN TO SHIP​

Two crewmember carry a crate. Stamped on its side is “Property of the Citadel Gold Company”.

CUT TO STATION​

INT. STATION - MORNING

A wall clock is visible, showing the time as 5:34. A chalkboard reads “WEDNESDAY - 6:00 TO SITKA”. Next to it is a sign reading “Logan: A Friendly Place.”

A dozen people - 10 men and two women - sit waiting. All but one of the men wear grubby mining gear. Several are sleeping. The two women wear patterned dresses, one red and one yellow. One man, RED JACK, is dressed in a suit with an overcoat, and wears a tweed flat cap and glasses. He reads a copy of the Sitka Reporter, emblazoned with the headline “INDIAN REBELS QUELLED: REDSKIN LEADER TO STAND TRIAL”.

A bell rings, and several of the sleeping men stir. The STATION AGENT enters.

STATION AGENT
All aboard!​

The collected passengers begin to rise. RED JACK rises as well, but sees one man still asleep. He starts towards him, looks towards the boat, then trots out the door on the tail of the STATION AGENT.

CUT TO LINE​

EXT. DOCKS - MORNING

The passengers line up next to a ramp to board the ship. A gruff looking Japanese officer checks their tickets as they board. One man in mining gear, heavyset and bearded, apologizes profusely for his extra baggage in broken Japanese. The sailor waves him through.

The line reached RED JACK. The officer pauses, looking at him suspiciously. RED JACK nods, and lights a cigarette. He offers one to the officer, who continues to glare at him. The officer gestures, and another sailor moves to pat RED JACK down. They search him and find no weapons, while RED JACK continues to puff on his cigarette. The officer takes his ticket grudgingly, and waves him through. RED JACK climbs aboard the ship. The ramp is pulled up as he continues smoking. The ship’s horn blows, and RED JACK smiles.

CUT TO​

EXT. ISLAND - MORNING

Wind whips across the island’s bare expanse. Figures in the distance, on a rocky beach, carry something towards the water.

CUT TO CREW 1​

Six men - BLACKFISH, KNOWLES, and BANDITS 1, 2, 3 and 4 - haul a whaling boat towards the surf next to a makeshift pier. They wear wool hats and rugged fishermen’s shirt. Their breath steams in the air.

CUT OUT​

A half-dozen other boats are being shoved towards the water. Men and a few women crowd behind the crews. Weapons are visible among them.

CUT BACK TO CREW 1​

Crew, sweating, shoves the boat into the water, dragging seaweed behind it. The men clamber in, and row the boat over to the dock. Another four men, carrying rifles, a machine gun, and overflowing crates with ammunition visible, climb into the boat. The men begin to row the boat.

CUT TO AERIAL SHOT​

The boat is out of the sheltered bay and into the channel. The Areuto Maru can be seen in the distance.

CUT TO​

EXT. BOAT - MORNING

BLACKFISH strikes a match and lights a cigar, then leans back. He is the clear leader of the crew. He uncorks an opaque bottle and takes a long drink.

BLACKFISH
New kid. Hey, new kid.​

KNOWLES looks up nervously.

BLACKFISH
Ever had Sitka screech?​

KNOWLES
(with false confidence) Of course.​

BLACKFISH re-corks and tosses the bottle to KNOWLES, who barely catches it. KNOWLES hesitantly uncorks it and takes a sip, gagging and sputtering from the cheap liquor.

BLACKFISH​
(laughing) Give it back, kid. Don’t need no child wasting good screech on Poseidon.​

A few moments of silence, with KNOWLES fuming.

KNOWLES
So what brings a ni- a colored man like yourself up this far north?​

BLACKFISH​
(tolerantly) Came home from crabbing one day, found my wife in bed with the tailor. Wasn’t much of a violent man before then, but if there’s one thing they taught me in a Navy kitchen, it was how to use a knife. Gutted both of ‘em. The law was after me, so I came here. Lots a man who can work a ship can do up north of the 49th, even a colored man.

BLACKFISH sips the screech.

BLACKFISH​
What about you, kid?​

KNOWLES
Some trouble in my home town.

BLACKFISH
Where’s that? Nowheresville, Ohio?

KNOWLES
Not far from there. A couple miles down the road towards Cincinnati, actually. Our farm wasn’t making ends meet. Pa lost most of the land in the Panic, and the rest was mortgaged up the whazoo. Things got desperate...

BLACKFISH
...So you took the easy way out, and when that went to Hell, you found out there wasn’t anywhere else to run?

KNOWLES nods.

BLACKFISH
Sounds about right.

BLACKFISH sips the screech again, and re-corks it.

BLACKFISH
Kid, something I’m sure you know, back home, the West is dead. Has been for a long time. Up here though, it’s still high noon at the railway station.

BLACKFISH tosses KNOWLES the bottle again. The horn of the Areuto Maru blares.

BLACKFISH
And here comes the train.

CUT TO

INT. STEAMER - PASSENGER ROOM - MORNING

The compartment is strewn with clothing and bottles. A submachine gun sits on the bed, ripped-up silk stockings around it. RED JACK sits on the bed reading his newspaper through spectacles, while MAILER, the bearded miner from before, riffles through his bags.

MAILER
Son of a bitch. I’m sure I packed them…

MAILER stops and looks at RED JACK.

MAILER
Hey, give me a hand here, will you?

RED JACK eyes him, then returns to his paper.

MAILER
What are you reading that’s so goddamn important right now?

RED JACK
Unlettered folks like yourself wouldn’t understand, unfortunately.

MAILER
(loving annoyance in his voice) Oh shut up, Red.

Footsteps hammer down the steps outside. Loud pounding on their door in a distinctive pattern. MAILER gets up, peers through the peephole, and opens the door. BIGGS stands outside panting.

BIGGS
Time to go.
INT. STEAMER - HALLWAY

MAILER, RED JACK, BIGGS and BANDIT 3 (Crew 2) walk down the hallway at a pace. They turn the corner to duck a passing sailor. Waiting until the coast is clear, BIGGS busts through a door marked in kanji. Climbing down a ladder, they make their way through a narrow passageway. The air is clearly hot, with Crew 2 sweating.

They reach the end of the hall, where there is a sailor standing. He perks up, suspicious. RED JACK grins sheepishly and starts gesturing, then pulls a pistol from his jacket. The sailor starts shouting turns to flee, but RED JACK pistol-whips him into submission. Crew 2 busts through another set of metal doors.

INT. STEAMER - BOILER ROOM

Several engineers, faces stained with coal dust, turn, stupefied. The fire in the boiler roars. MAILER, RED JACK and BIGGS begin yelling.

RED JACK
All right, in a line, move it, move it!

The engineers look confused.

MAILER
(In Japanese) Line, now!

The engineers hurriedly get in a line. MAILER and BIGGS cover their eyes in blindfolds and bind their hands with ropes. BIGGS and BANDIT 3 lead them out of the room. Off-camera, a door clangs shut, with the muffled sound of shouting in Japanese behind it.

RED JACK
Where’d you learn to speak like a Jap?

MAILER
You learn a lot of things in Pearl Harbor.

RED JACK
You think it’s odd that the crew is all Japanese?

BIGGS and BANDIT 3 returns, wiping his forehead.

BIGGS
Unless they’ve got bolt cutters and a magic wand, they aren’t getting out of there without help.

RED JACK
Good. You can shut down the engine?

BIGGS
(aggreived) Of course.

MAILER
Get on it, then. I have some important business with the captain.

CUT TO

INT. STEAMER - BRIDGE - MORNING

The bridge is small, orderly and busy. Japanese men in sharp clothing work at their designated positions. The room is abuzz with chatter in Japanese. Captain Shiro KAJIMOTO, a greying man with wrinkles in his face, stands silently in the center, behind the wheelhouse, where Navigator YAMASHITA, a young man with rakish haircut, steers. SAILOR 1 approaches.

SAILOR 2
(In Japanese) Captain, there are some boats up ahead. Whalers, sir.

KAJIMOTO unfolds a pair of binoculars, and looks out

CUT TO POV

Slightly blurry image, five whaling boats.

CUT TO INT. STEAMER

KAJIMOTO
(In Japanese) 5 degrees north, Mr. Yamashita. We don’t want to run afoul of the boats.

YAMASHITA
(In Japanese) 5 degrees north, Captain.

YAMASHITA moves to adjust the trajectory of the ship. Suddenly, the ship sharply decelerates. Several people on the bridge fall over and cry out. The bridge suddenly gets louder.

YAMASHITA
What the.. (withdraws hands from steering)

KAJIMOTO
Mr. Yamashita. What’s this?

YAMASHITA
We’ve lost thrust. Our engines are out.

KAJIMOTO looks through his binoculars again, and curses under his breath.

KAJIMOTO
Those are not whalers.

YAMASHITA
(Dawning on him) Pirates!

KAJIMOTO
Yes, Mr. Yamashita. Mr. Madakuro, Mr. Keigo, Mr. Tanaka!

MADAKURO, the gruff officer from the docks, as well as KEIGO and TANAKA approach and bow slightly.

KAJIMOTO
Mr. Keigo, alert all passengers and crew, and gather the crew to the bridge. You are in command. Mr. Tanaka, collect a party to retake the engine room. I am sure we have unwelcome guests aboard. Mr. Madakuro, prepare the ship for boarding. Gather what you need from the arms locker. Mr. Yamashita, you have the wheel.

The officers bow to KAJIMOTO, and hurry off to do their task. KAJIMOTO searches the locker next to the steering wheel, and pulls a bundle out. He approaches the captain’s chair and sits. His face is shot through with anxiety and rage. He unwraps the bundle, revealing a sheathed katana.

KAJIMOTO
Let them come.

FADE TO

EXT. BOAT - MORNING

AERIAL SHOT

The Gang’s boats cut through the water towards the Areuto Maru.

CUT TO

EXT. STEAMER - DECK

Several sailors from the Areuto Maru hurry towards the edge of the deck. They carry rifles.

CUT TO

Two sailors are setting up a machine gun with a tripod.

QUICK CUT TO MACHINE GUN POV

Ocean and incoming boats.

CUT TO

EXT. BOAT - MORNING

BLACKFISH’s boat is moving forward. The crew are all rowing hard. BLACKFISH is barking a chanty.

BLACKFISH
Our boots and clothes are all in pawn!

ALL SAILORS
(KNOWLES awkwardly) Go down ye blood red roses, go down!

BLACKFISH
Upon us ye, the dolls will fawn!​

ALL SAILORS
Pull down ye blood red roses, pull down!​

BLACKFISH
Gold from stream, and mountain fair!

ALL SAILORS
Go down ye blood red roses, go down!​

BLACKFISH
Rum and wool for salted air!

ALL SAILORS

BLACKFISH
Seize the wealth, for all to see!

ALL SAILORS
Go down ye blood red roses, go down!​

BLACKFISH
No man can claim us, we are free!

ALL SAILORS

BLACKFISH begins to start the chanty again, but a sudden rattle of a machine gun interrupts him.

BLACKFISH
Heads down, boys! Row! Row! Row!

CUT TO

AERIAL SHOT

Boats approaching the steamer, two pulling hard to the right, to go around its back and reach its far side. Two remain further out.

CUT TO

EXT. STEAMER - DECK

Sailors firing their rifles. Machine gun clatter can be heard. Shouting in Japanese.

CUT TO

EXT. BOAT

BLACKFISH’s boat is under fire. The men are ducking, as BLACKFISH sits up and fires back with a pistol.

BLACKFISH
Fight, you scum, fight!

The other crew are firing back with their rifles.

CUT TO

AERIAL SHOT

A boat of the far side of the Areuto Maru is hit with machinegun fire and capsized.

CLOSE SHOT

Blood in the water.

CUT TO

EXT. BOAT

BLACKFISH
Lowel, rudder! Karl, hook ‘em!

The rudderman drives the boat hard to the left, bringing it parallel to the steamer. Another crewman, a burly man, stands and winds up to throw a grappling hook. A bullet hits him, and he tumbles over and off the boat.

BLACKFISH
Shit! Knowles, on it!

KNOWLES grabs the rope and throws. It misses, and he begins reeling it in. It comes back the boat still under fire. He prepares to throw again, but hesitates.

BLACKFISH
Hook that goddamn boat!

KNOWLES hurls it, and it hooks the side of the steamer, among the rigging. The boat pulls sharply toward the side, nearly tipping, but it rights itself, drifting towards the side of the ship.

BLACKFISH
Good, boy. We’ve got some fish to gut.

BLACKFISH stands, and takes a running leap towards the steamer, grabbing the rigging on the side. He begins to climb, and looks back.

BLACKFISH
(growls) Plannin’ to join me, Knowles?

The other crew, including KNOWLES, pull the boat by the rope towards the steamer, then KNOWLES grabs onto the rigging and begins to climb after BLACKFISH.

CUT TO

INT. STEAMER - HALLWAY

RED JACK and MAILER are moving at speed down the corridor, Suddenly, a racket from one end of men shouting and rapid footsteps.

MAILER
Shit (draws pistol).

RED JACK
Don’t worry, dear. This way.
RED JACK opens a random cabin door, and gestures “shhhhh” to the surprised and scared occupants, a middle aged couple. The crew moves inside, as RED JACK pulls a submachine gun and a snail-drum magazine from under his overcoat, and loads the gun. The footsteps hurry close, then right by the cabin. RED JACK steps out.

RED JACK
Can I help you, gentlemen?

RED JACK opens fire. The men scream, which soon dies out. RED JACK beckons to the others.

RED JACK
Come now. We wouldn’t want to miss our appointment with the bridge.

EXT. STEAMER - DECK - MORNING

PAN ACROSS DECK

RED JACK, MAILER and BANDIT 3 make their way out onto the deck, exchanging fire with some surprised crew.

FOCUS ON BANDITS

RED JACK firing his submachine gun, other firing pistols in turn. Return fire drives them behind a lifeboat, popping up and down to fire.

CUT TO

Japanese sailors firing rifles.

CUT TO

BLACKFISH and KNOWLES creep up the edge of the steamer, carbines slung over their shoulders. They clamber aboard. BLACKFISH gestures towards the bridge. The two men hurry towards it but are soon suppressed by enemy fire.

CUT TO

AERIAL SHOT

Members of the Hinchinbrook Island Gang are climbing up the sides of the ship, with more and more boarding. The action is so far a success.

CUT TO

Sailor hit by gang bullets, down in a puddle of blood.

CUT TO

Bandit cut down by bullets, falls over the edge of the ship.

CUT TO

INT. STEAMER - BRIDGE - MORNING

The bridge is in chaos. Captain KAJIMOTO’s face is grim. YAMASHITA looks panicked. Gunfire can be heard outside, and several of the bridge’s windows are shattered.

YAMASHITA
Sir, we cannot hold out much longer. Without the engine-

KAJIMOTO
I will not cede my ship to these devils.
KEIGO, blood on his brow, enters via a hatch to the interior, carrying a rifle.

KEIGO
Any word from Tanaka?

YAMASHITA
None, and we aren’t moving.

KEIGO
He’s dead then. These pirate dogs are coming over all sides.

The rate of fire suddenly increases, and after a moment men burst through the main door. KEIGO fires several rounds, killing one of them. KAJIMOTO rises, unsheathing the cradled sword. A bandit rushes through, and is cut in two but KAJIMOTO in a spray of blood as the captain shouts a war cry. KEIGO is shot dead by a burst of submachine gun fire, and a bullet clips KAJIMOTO, sending him tumbling. RED JACK and MAILER walks into the room, smoke streaming behind them.

RED JACK
Lovely to meet you, Captain. My name is Jack. Thank you for the ship. We will take good care of her, I swear.​

A nice change of pace -- although I am still wondering, given his affectation, whether or not Red Jack the native leader alluded to at the beginning.

Despite the Western vibe, the song reminded me very much of Les Miserables' Look Down :p

A nice change of pace -- although I am still wondering, given his affectation, whether or not Red Jack the native leader alluded to at the beginning.

Despite the Western vibe, the song reminded me very much of Les Miserables' Look Down :p

You know, he was meant to be a Communist, but having him as the native leader is even better.

And hahaha, I see what you mean about Les Mis.

You know, he was meant to be a Communist, but having him as the native leader is even better.

And hahaha, I see what you mean about Les Mis.

Damn, that was my first guess actually lol. Seemed too refined to be a rough-and-tumble revolutionary -- maybe a Commie intellectual, but not, say, a Che.

That was frigging amazing. A real pleasure to read.

Thanks!

Damn, that was my first guess actually lol. Seemed too refined to be a rough-and-tumble revolutionary -- maybe a Commie intellectual, but not, say, a Che.

If I continue it, I'll show who Red Jack is. He was originally meant to be more Carlos the Jackal than Che or Castro - he's got an ideology, but he's basically just a psychopathic killer underneath a debonair revolutionary mask.