AH Question: A country in southern India

For a map (and maybe eventual timeline) I'm doing, I wanted to find a name to use for a country formed in Southern India. Would Dakshinadu work? Dakshina is the word for "Deccan" (as in the Deccan Plateau), and Nadu is the Tamil world for "land," as in Tamil Nadu. I don't want to use the name Madras, but the nation in question will largely correspond to Andhara Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. Thanks:)

Nadu will work if you're going with a specifically Tamil-speaking state

However, why not use 'nagar' or it's spelling variant 'nagara'. It's Sanskrit derived and thus more likely to be used since Sanskrit carries more prestige.

So Dakshinagar or Dakshinagara.

Nadu will work if you're going with a specifically Tamil-speaking state

However, why not use 'nagar' or it's spelling variant 'nagara'. It's Sanskrit derived and thus more likely to be used since Sanskrit carries more prestige.

So Dakshinagar or Dakshinagara.

Thanks. I've always equated "nagar" with a town or city, but you would know better than I. I think that I will use Dakshinagara, unless you would suggest an entirely different name.

How about Goa? They're quite different compare to other Indian states. They could end up becoming the Macau or Hong Kong of South Asia.

Thanks. I've always equated "nagar" with a town or city, but you would know better than I. I think that I will use Dakshinagara, unless you would suggest an entirely different name.

"Nagara" can mean country. It's "Pura" which generally means city.

Actually, since the state Wendell was talking about corresponds to Andhra and Tamil Nadu, naming it Kerala would be like naming an independent New England "Virginia", or the whole south-west of Britain "Northumbria". At least by naming it Cape Cod or Cornwall, you'd be giving it the name of an area actually within it's bounds. :D

A name for the south?

What about 'Agastyabhoomi' or 'Agattiyaboomi' (to make it more acceptable to the Tamils), in honour of the mythical sage Agastya, who's said to permananently reside south of the Vindhyas.
Sage Agastya is venerated all over South India, especially in Tamil Nadu.

But a more acceptable secular name could be after the names of the regions: Deccan, Malabar, Coromandel and Carnatic (DMCC)

My two cents.

By the way, this is my first post in this forum.
Thanks for the opportunity
:)
Groomlake

How about Goa? They're quite different compare to other Indian states. They could end up becoming the Macau or Hong Kong of South Asia.

In this timeline, Goa will be an independent country and probable financial center.

Groomlake said:
What about 'Agastyabhoomi' or 'Agattiyaboomi' (to make it more acceptable to the Tamils), in honour of the mythical sage Agastya, who's said to permananently reside south of the Vindhyas.
Sage Agastya is venerated all over South India, especially in Tamil Nadu.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will consider it. Welcome to the forum:)