AH CHALLENGE: The Glory of Maximilian

This idea was inspired by both the Maximiliano y Juarez thread, and the Mexican Empire from "The Discord that Follows".

The subject is Archduke Maximilian of the House of Habsburg. This man stands as a tragic figure of history, a very lerberal amd reform minded royal called te People's Prince in some quarters he ended up in a situation where despite his progressive stances he was viewed as a tool of Imperialism and repression.

So the challenge I propose is for tragedy to be replaced with triumph!

Ity need not be Mexico, I only ask that this man find success as a monarch or defecto leader of a nation. Perhaps Franz Joisef's fears realized with his demise allowing Max to the thrones of the Dual Monarchy? "Answering the Call of Laffayette" had him making waves in Brazil. Abnd I recall years ago that a group of Poles considered him candidate for king of Poland in the event of a successful uprising against the Tsar.

So in what ways can we have Maximilian's life turn away from tragedy to glory?

He owed huge sums of money to Napoleon III. Avoid that, and he has more support, and with a combination of French support and luck, you can have him end the civil war. Then have the south win in the ACW(even making it longer would help), and the US would not dare intervene*they would have if there wasn't the ACW).

The Mexican Adventure, as it was called, ended in failure, and death for Max. You need him to either not go through with it at all, or succeed (no American support for Juarez) Also, Franz Ferdinand would've been a better leader for A-H than Max, as FF wanted to federalize the Empire, granting statehood and some autonomy to the ethnicities within the A-H Empire.

I never knew that the Poles offered him the crown, maybe with a successful uprising backed by both the Germans and the Habsburgs it would succeed and the CP would get an allied buffer state against the Bear that is Russia in the upcoming WWI.