AH Challenge: Surviving Hephthalite Khanate

The title pretty much tells it all. The PoD can be anywhere in history, the Khanate should survive to present day (not necessary as a Khanate, of course)

800px-Asia_500ad.jpg

Last edited:
Now this is the kind of POD I like to see! Though I'm by no means an expert, I think the best way to get surviving Hephthalites is to have them establish a permanent Sassanid style monarchy around the Indus, using the mountains to the north as shelter from the various steppe tribes that will continue to attack them. A state religion, perhaps Zoroastrianism or Nestorianism, for the purposes of unity, would be useful too.

Well, some time ago I've read that they adopted Zoroastrisms, but the wiki says they were Buddhists...

The thing that destroyed the White Huns was Sassanid alliance with a Turk tribe.

Not bad, but how would they pull that off?
Well, in my TL Remnants of Rome, a Caliphate-like empire centered on Persia was attacked and overthrown by the Hua (the Hephthalites' name for themselves) while their (the Persians, not the Hua) empire was breaking apart.
Of course that was with a POD more than a hundred years before that.

Have some alternate Islam religion arise early, or just have big empire that has Persia, and have that big empire collapse, and the Hua can take a chunk... or all... of it. If they adopt that religion, then their empire will become more stable, and also seen as more legitimate.

Well, in my TL Remnants of Rome, a Caliphate-like empire centered on Persia was attacked and overthrown by the Hua (the Hephthalites' name for themselves) while their (the Persians, not the Hua) empire was breaking apart.
Of course that was with a POD more than a hundred years before that.

Have some alternate Islam religion arise early, or just have big empire that has Persia, and have that big empire collapse, and the Hua can take a chunk... or all... of it. If they adopt that religion, then their empire will become more stable, and also seen as more legitimate.

How did the absence of Rome help the Huas counquer Persia?

Last edited:
Not bad, but how would they pull that off?

Same way the Parthians, Ghaznavids, Seljuks, Khwarezmids, Mongols and Timurids did I would guess. Conquests of Iran by nomadic tribes from the northeast are fairly common throughout history, and I see no reason why the Hephthalites couldn't do it as well. However, all these conquering peoples were assimilated into the Persian culture. Therefore, having the Hephthalites conquer Persia would probably lead to their destruction, not survival.

Same way the Parthians, Ghaznavids, Seljuks, Khwarezmids, Mongols and Timurids did I would guess. Conquests of Iran by nomadic tribes from the northeast are fairly common throughout history, and I see no reason why the Hephthalites couldn't do it as well. However, all these conquering peoples were assimilated into the Persian culture. Therefore, having the Hephthalites conquer Persia would probably lead to their destruction, not survival.

Should a wise Khan choose to make peace with them then?