AH Challenge:Soviet Amphibious assault

The challenge is:Make large scale soviet amphibious assault against any axis member,the POD must not be before 1922

Overlord-sized is tricky, but I would assume any Hokkaido landings could have been pretty decent-sized if the US had sent along enough amphibious assets through Lend-Lease to make it worthwhile.

Vivisfugue

Banned
If Turkey joins the Axis, say (its own POD, but it's after 1922) I could see a reverse-Gallipoli grab for the Bosporus as the war swings against Hitler.

Riain

Banned
A landing in Romania in 1943 would really put the wind up the Nazis, but its a very big call.

If Turkey joins the Axis, say (its own POD, but it's after 1922) I could see a reverse-Gallipoli grab for the Bosporus as the war swings against Hitler.
I don't know about this, I think it'd be infinitely in the Soviet's advantage to try and make it to the Bosporus by land, with maybe a few minor landings.

Against an axis power, my mind instantly jumps to Hokkaido or elsewhere in Japan. But I just had another thought. What if...an axis Sweden? Or if the Germans invade Sweden for its metals, maybe the Soviets could launch forces there.

Vivisfugue

Banned
In fact, I feel the first ticklings of a TL involving the Soviets, British, Turks and Greeks where the post-war Balkan settlement is upset by the Straits issue. As I recall the situation OTL was a patently ridiculous and unworkable "percentage" system between the British and the Soviets, where basically whichever power was over 50% in your area determined what side of the Iron Curtain you wound up on. I need to come up with a plausible reason for the Turks joining the Axis (or joining the Allies and being overrun a la Greece and Yugoslavia), as well as study up on troop movements in the later part of the war, the history of the Greek Civil War, and how they might be affected by the altered circumstances of an Axis Turkey. I can't imagine Stalin diverting large numbers of troops to try to conquer Anatolia East to West through the Caucasus (it's simply too far from the main axis of advance against the real enemy, Germany), but I could easily picture a confused situation in early 1945, where the German collapse in the Balkans (when did they abandon Greece?) might lead to a "race to the Straits" between Churchill and Stalin, culminating in an early Cold War analogy to the Russo-Turkish war of 1878. I also can't picture the Americans being terribly pleased by such a development. To Wikipedia!

Overlord-sized is tricky, but I would assume any Hokkaido landings could have been pretty decent-sized if the US had sent along enough amphibious assets through Lend-Lease to make it worthwhile.

I think an Overlord-size attack is essentially impossible. The best bets are a Soviet assault on Hokkaido or an Axis Sweden or Turkey.

Here's another scenario: an Axis China grinds the Soviets and Japanese into a stalemate somewhere in Manchuria. Stalin wants to end it quickly, so he launches an joint amphibious assault with the Japanese on the Yangtze River Delta, with the Soviets providing the bulk of the manpower and the Japanese providing the bulk of the naval support. ASB?

Invasion of axis britain! :cool:

In 1936-1937, an attempted coup is launched in France by the military against the FP governement, as the country starts to face increased political violence. Result is a revolution, thought not fully communist one, it is perceived as Bolchevisme in the UK.
1938, French forces enters Spain and Portugal and begin cooperating with the Soviet-Union, the French governement also help Poland seize the whole of Lithuania and promises German territories.
1939, a military coup is launched in Belgium, the French use that as an excuse to annexe that country. Czechoslovakia invaded by German and Hungarian armies. France, Spain, Portagal and the Soviet-Union declares war. Italy and Japan stays out. Leon Blum have Dutchland seized, begin bomber raids on Germany itself, Britain see a change of governement.
New governement declares war to the Komintern, begin sending the RAF to support German civil defences. Italy enters the war but looses western Lybia in short order, while the Red Army invades the middle-east. Liberation of Dutchland begin.
1940, the Anglo-German alliance begin to advance from Holland into Belgium, then into France itself. The Soviet-Union gain control of Iraq, Syria, Palestine, Jordania, Kuwait, Iran and advance into Egypt, eventually joining up with the Franco-Spanish armies.
1941, German armies defeat French ones, northern France is seized in short order but the south resist, until it is crushed in turn.
1942, the British empire have seized all of former French colonies, except Sovietic North Africa and the middle-east. Anglo-German armies crushes republican Spain and put Salazar back in power in Portugal. Republican retreat to North Africa. Offensives on Tunisia fails against the Free French, Republicans and Red Army. Resistance continues in France and Spain.
1943, the axis launch its offensive into Poland and Romania, then into the Soviet-Union itself but looses a large number of Panzers in pitched battles, by the end of the year the Red Army push the axis back to the borders.
1944, battle of Warsaw, axis armies smashed, central and eastern europe seized, Red Army advance to the Rhineland by October.
1945, Red Army crosses the Rhine, invades the Rhineland, liberates France and Spain from the occupiers, begin bombing Greater Britain. In September, preparations for an invasion begin, as the RAF takes too many loses.
1946, Britain is invaded, the USA declares war to the Soviet-Union, the armies of the Komintern spreads into east Africa.
1947, Last pocket of resistance in Britain crushed, the Komintern focus on the african continent, which is dominated too.

Last edited: