AH Challenge: Medieval Democracy

Heres the challenge: with a PoD no earlier than 700 AD, have a small democratic state appear in Europe. By democratic, I mean something that resembles Athenian-style democratic rule. I know that wasnt very democratic by modern standards, but bear with me.

I dont want a merchantile republic like Venice. But one of the best places for a fledgling democracy such as this might be in North Italy, or in the Free cities of Germany...

Heres the challenge: with a PoD no earlier than 700 AD, have a small democratic state appear in Europe. By democratic, I mean something that resembles Athenian-style democratic rule. I know that wasnt very democratic by modern standards, but bear with me.

I dont want a merchantile republic like Venice. But one of the best places for a fledgling democracy such as this might be in North Italy, or in the Free cities of Germany...

Were not the various things like on Man or the Faroes, Iceland etc what you are looking for?

most mideval comunes and free citties were relativelly democratic even by todays standards
it was normall to elect a mair and other representatives every year, to make group decisions on projects involving comon spaces and town property, to use law making bodies such as councils and parlaments to make laws and regulations, gnereally the mideval people were quite into self gowerment, its just that a lot of the population was not officially free
however "voting" was not reserved olnly for noblemen, there was a large free population that lived in towns and citties that were ider soverin or were granted the right to gowern themselves and their sorounding area, local pesants included, as what was called free royal or ducal citties

and thats not counting the free wilagers and colons, wich were not pesants

what would be neded is simply a war or two that weaken royal rule ower a given area and with the nobles killing each other off the free burgers move in to fill out the power wacum

Last edited:
Jesus Christ man. It's always nice when someone who knows what they're talking about comes along but please put some effort into proof-reading.

HueyLong

Banned
Heck no.

In Germany and the Netherlands English is a non-elective course.
We usually know how to spell. (Even Susano does, when he cares to bother.)

Broz was Tito's birth-name. Might be a hint.

(I guess Broz types with an accent. ;))

Ah. Took the accent thing and applied it to text, I guess.

I think the OP was asking for a major power, not one of the smaller countries.

There were a lot of peasant rebellions in every country, but I don't know if any of them really developed any sort of democracy.

There were Cossacks, I suppose...