AH challenge, Make Sealand into a great power

Ok so i was wondering... Is t possible to turn Sealand into a major power, or is that too ASB, also suppose Sealand existed as a great power during WWI how would it effect the outcome:) So the challenge if you choose to accept, is turn the micro nation of Sealand into a regional power, Bonus points if you can make it a great power:D:D

Ok so i was wondering... Is t possible to turn Sealand into a major power, or is that too ASB, also suppose Sealand existed as a great power during WWI how would it effect the outcome:) So the challenge if you choose to accept, is turn the micro nation of Sealand into a regional power, Bonus points if you can make it a great power:D:D
The first thing that came to mind upon reading the OP was an over-imaginative boy in a sailor suit running around the trademark platform.:rolleyes:

That said, if you're talking a great power by tomorrow, then definitely ASB. But here are two semi-feasible ways.

You could have Roy Bates "found" the micronation in the '60s (and have him be an influential billionaire and a radio pirate to begin with:D).

Or perhaps a (sort of) minor nuclear exchange breaks out sometime in the 1980s, with Bates and company (not to mention the platform) surviving. With Britain in chaos, Sealand could establish a foothold on the mainland. And potentially become a prominent power in a post-apocalyptic Europe. Then again, it would have to contend with the triple powers of Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Luxembourg.

You are a 14 year old kid with an over-active imagination aren't you.

Can someone please make one or more separate sub-forum/fora for all the silly stuff so we can keep the main fora for the serious TLs and discussions.
Nothing wrong with humorous stuff, but it should be separate from the serious things.

Can someone please make one or more separate sub-forum/fora for all the silly stuff so we can keep the main fora for the serious TLs and discussions.
Nothing wrong with humorous stuff, but it should be separate from the serious things.

I believe it's called the ASB forum

Even with my overactive imagination and knowledge of Sealand cannot make that a reality. Nothing short of drilling for and striking oil in the 1970s during the Oil Crisis and buying an island would've made it possible.

Um actually i was being serious, so that is why i asked this to find out if it is ASB or not.

Macragge1

Banned
You obviously weren't being serious. If someone was to consider this as even a possibly serious suggestion they'd be unable to type out the question coherently.

1967 - Roy Bates sets up a pirate radio transmitter that is much more powerful than the one in OTL.

1969 - After years of lost revenue due to signals being blocked the BBC agrees to pay off Roy Bates to not broadcast anymore. The sum is roughly 200,000 pounds a year adjusted to inflation.

1974 - Roy Bates develops magical powers and takes over most of northern Europe.

Alright srry about that l:( I was just curious, anyway is it possible to delete this thread.?

No, you don't have to. I can come up with a POD.

Bates hires geologists in 1973 to examine the area under Sealand. They find a massive deposit of oil and natural gas. He makes much money when British Petroleum starts drilling it in his territory (when the UK recognizes his claim to the area in 1972). With this money, he uses a force of mercenaries to acquire Soviet atomic bombs in 1991 and a force of mercenaries. He conquers the British Channel Islands and makes sure no one fights back using his nukes. By 1995, Sealand is a rogue state in the middle of the European Union. It is promptly invaded by SAS who disable the bombs and retake the nation. But for 2 years, it was a regional power.

Hendryk

Banned
Bates hires geologists in 1973 to examine the area under Sealand. They find a massive deposit of oil and natural gas. He makes much money when British Petroleum starts drilling it in his territory (when the UK recognizes his claim to the area in 1972).
Yeah, it's a well-known fact that just sitting on natural resources is enough to turn even the tiniest dot on the map into a superpower :rolleyes:

Which is why the world has been divided up between the rival economic powerhouses of Congo and Kuweit.

Yeah, it's a well-known fact that just sitting on natural resources is enough to turn even the tiniest dot on the map into a superpower :rolleyes:

Which is why the world has been divided up between the rival economic powerhouses of Congo and Kuweit.

i get the point :D

but let say it like that
with money he get from ol & Gas, Bates can think big
800px-Sealand-sky.jpg

like expand Sealand to...
35634ertwerter.jpg

...a Seacity

or Bates Join NATO as a Nation and get Nukes under NATO ruels. ;)

I believe it's called the ASB forum
Well, it seems it's not enough as about 1/5 of the pre and past 1900 fora threads and even more of the future history forum threads are as realistic as this one or worse. And I was also thinking of non ASB things that are faits-divers and which are not serious enough for the main fora IMNSHO, like the influence of the Japanese not adopting curry for example.

And I was also thinking of non ASB things that are faits-divers and which are not serious enough for the main fora IMNSHO, like the influence of the Japanese not adopting curry for example.

yes, because obviously a Culinary WI, Involving one of the Most Popular Dishes in Japan is in the same league of a WI trying to turn an Unrecognized micronation into a Superpower. :rolleyes:

The first thing that came to mind upon reading the OP was an over-imaginative boy in a sailor suit running around the trademark platform.:rolleyes:
Wasn't he sold to Finland and Sweden on eBay a while back? Not exactly a mark of a great nation if you can be bought and sold on the virtual marketplace like some common bread...