AH Challenge:Israel joins the EEC by 1980

As the title says, somehow cause Israel to join the EEC by 1980.

Bonus point if has nothing to do with the Suez crisis.

Another bonus point if it has nothing to do with any kind of armed conflict.

Yet another bonus point if an independent Palestine exists at the time of Israel's joining.

NothingNow

Banned
EEC is the European Economic Community.

Israel is not in Europe...

But is considered Culturally european and competes in European instead of Middle Eastern Leagues for most sports. It's like Canada in that regard, but with sand, and more Jews and angry displaced natives.

And? Israel is member of UEFA...so that argument will not hold...otherwise you could also argue that all European landlocked countries or even those with a coast not directly on the North Atlantic couldn't be members of NATO.

Devvy

Donor
And? Israel is member of UEFA...so that argument will not hold...otherwise you could also argue that all European landlocked countries or even those with a coast not directly on the North Atlantic couldn't be members of NATO.

Morocco was denied entry (after applying to join) the EEC on the grounds that it is not in Europe.

Turkey has a long running application to join the EU (probably the EEC when the application was submitted), which is still not approved. One of the grounds for contention is that the vast majority of Turkey is not in Europe. The second is that it is a predominently Muslim country which won't fit in to the Europe-wide Christian culture.

Cyprus is the only anomaly, but they only managed to join because of their significant historical links with Greece & Britain. Israel is too far into Asia, and is a Jewish country which is fiercely independent - it's never going to join the EEC. Personally, I'd say it's ASB.

UEFA is a sporting affiliation rather than political, which means it is much easier to spread further then your initial remit. Hell, Kazahkstan is part of UEFA!

Last edited:
Uhmm...maybe DeGaulle don't swith alliance before the 6 days war from Israel (France from the creation of Israel until the '67 was in the same position of the USA in relation of Israel) and make thing more clear to the arab states and the world in general that their stood with their ally, ask Tel Aviv to join the EEC. After some grumble from the other members, the majority because the diplomatic situation with the other arab countries than for cultural reason, Israel is a western nation and a democracy without open dispute with other members of the EEC but after a while they decide to accept it, this can butterly away the war of the 67, with a clear alliance with a power, probably Nasser and the other arab leaders just continue the war posturing but don't even think to attack Israel...but in the long term can bring the EU more in the middle east conflict and worsen a lot their relations with the arab states worsening the future oil embargo.

UEFA is a sport association and UEFA welcome Israel because every arabs countries boycott israeli sports, as they boycott everything from Israel.

The EEC was at the beginning a western european organisation trying to organise coal and iron production. I don't remember Israel being a large producer of coal or iron.

The EEC stayed with only the six founding members (France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg) until 1973. And the organisation had only nine members in 1980.

Israel wasn't even member of the rival european economic organisation led by the UK and called the EFTA, which disolved after the UK, Ireland and Denmaek left the organisation for the EEC in 1973...

UEFA is a sport association and UEFA welcome Israel because every arabs countries boycott israeli sports, as they boycott everything from Israel.

The EEC was at the beginning a western european organisation trying to organise coal and iron production. I don't remember Israel being a large producer of coal or iron.

The EEC stayed with only the six founding members (France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg) until 1973. And the organisation had only nine members in 1980.

Israel wasn't even member of the rival european economic organisation led by the UK and called the EFTA, which disolved after the UK, Ireland and Denmaek left the organisation for the EEC in 1973...

The small numbers were more due to De Gaulle refusing of accepting the UK as member (for fearing of a covert USA influence) and so even the other countries who demanded access (Ireland, Norway and Denmark) were basically obstructed.
In 1967 there were the merger of the coal and steel community, EEC and Euratom in a single organization.
In reality the Coal and Steel were by all recognized as just a first step for the continental integration, so even if Israel is not a great producer is not important, more so after 1967.

AH challenge threads end up pretty interesting when most of the responses consist of people saying theyre impossible over and over again, dont they..:rolleyes:

Israel is only part of UEFA because they have the problem of a lot of teams in the Asian confederation refusing to play them...

But....wouldn't that mean they win 3-0 each time? :cool: That should work quite well for them.

Generally, I see zero chances in 1980 not because of Israel, but because of the early stage of the EEC. Rather in the future, as part of a successful peace-process. Haha.

Besides, Malta also geologically is not European, but a part of Africa. The Turkish problem is really not about geography....

It has special trading status with the EU. Also, it has only just being allowed to join the OECD, AFAIK, it was suggested that Ireland should block this after mossad shananigans using fake Irish passports in the recent Dubai assasination! However we did not!

Devvy

Donor
Besides, Malta also geologically is not European, but a part of Africa. The Turkish problem is really not about geography....

Malta, like Cyprus, has been under European for significant portions of history and is culturally European. Things you can't really say about Turkey or Israel.

The Turkish/EU problem is slightly geography related, and a lot geography-used-as-a-pretense-for-something-else! Because Israel is further out, the geography comments would come up even more. And as I said, Turkey and Israel are both significantly culturally different to Europe.

Let alone that before 1980, the EEC was a western Europe association, Israel would of been a very *very* far flung member.

AH challenge threads end up pretty interesting when most of the responses consist of people saying theyre impossible over and over again, dont they..:rolleyes:

No offense here, friend, but this one is impossible. The Cold War effectively divided the world into two spheres, and Israel's problem is that it was supported by the United States in large part because the Arabs were being supplied by the Soviets, and the European organizations, including the EEC, were just on the western side of Europe. The EU was unable to expand across Eastern Europe until after the wall fell, and part of the reason it did so with a vengeance after the end of the Iron Curtain was because of the fact the Eastern European states had been under Russia's thumb for decades and wanted to be able to decide their own destinies while still being aligned with a major power bloc, as well as give a Moscow a single-fingered salute.

Israel has people who support its entry into the European Union, and IMO they would qualify for it just fine because of the fact that it is culturally far more European than Asian. I think the best bet for the entry of Israel into the EU is to have the new organization jump into the Camp David accords, promising to make an exception for Israel to join the EU in return for finally and completely solving the Palestinian issue. That's a pretty big carrot, and I doubt Tel Aviv would ignore it.

Pangur

Donor
How about this?

There was an earlier reference to the EFTA. Have Israel join that in say 1968 and then they follow Ireland, the UK and Denmark into the EEC in 1973. Looking through the previous treads I don’t see any `killer' argument for this not to happen - with a very important proviso it has to happen before 1978, 1980 is a stretch but a huge one. After the 6 day war Israel’s credibility is Europe was high, same after 1973. In truth it was in the 80`s that anyone in Europe have a rats about the Palestinians, so I don’t see that causing an issue. As for geography, true enough that Israel is not part of Europe however Israel has never been part of any formal group that is geographically based. How could have this come about? May be some like this. The Israeli government realises that having one such a decisive victory now need to devote the same effort to their economy. There is zero chance of trade locally, the US is great option but to far away. Europe is the next and best option. (By entering the EEC via the EFTA that avoids having to deal with De Gaulle who BTW was doing his best to keep the UK out of the EEC)

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
I think the best bet for the entry of Israel into the EU is to have the new organization jump into the Camp David accords, promising to make an exception for Israel to join the EU in return for finally and completely solving the Palestinian issue. That's a pretty big carrot, and I doubt Tel Aviv would ignore it.

I agree.
That's pretty much the only solution for this problem.
Something like: Israel returns on 1967-borders, divides Jerusalem with Palestinian State/Jordan, get's recognition from Arabs ( at least from Egypt, Syria, and Jordan ).
Problem with Arab refugees is solved with a huge sum of money borrowed from European Community, but they get no right to return in Israel.
Israel get's membership in European Community as a carrot.
Maybe Israel renounces of nuclear weapons in return for getting a NATO membership and a special bilateral defence treaty with USA, maybe even US forces stationed in Israel like in W. Germany.

Obviously for this to happen the EC will have to be redefined geographically, a tall order since at bottom Western Europeans (whether they admit it or not) don't want a bunch of poor Muslims in it. (If Israel could join, why not the Maghreb states?) An EC that eventually included all the countries around the Mediterranian Sea would look cool, but it would be a huge economic, cultural and political headache.

I'd like to ask, even if Israel got the offer, would it accept? I wonder.

Devvy

Donor
For EFTA - it was really primarily a North European organisation (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, UK - later Finland & Iceland as well, and Austria and Portugal). Again, something that places Israel well outside of it's geographical remit.

As for an offer for Israel to join the EU in response to solving the Palestinian issues - not going to happen.

Firstly, the Copenhagen criteria laid down in the treaties which give the EU effect stipulate the country must be European. No definition of Europe includes Israel. Secondly, the European Council (which comprises of each Head of Government of the member states) must unanimously accept as I understand it. Even if I'm wrong on that, or it changes, enough member states would vote against Israel to keep it out.

On a related note; EU expansion can not continue forever; the EU must draw a line at some countries, or Europe will not integrate. One size does not fit everyone...

No offense here, friend, but this one is impossible.

So an Australian Hawaii is more likely, as mentioned in your sig?

Am I missing the point entirely of AH Challenges? I thought the point was that the responders were supposed to do their best to make this happen, not respond with 100 different reasons why it's impossible.

Devvy

Donor
Am I missing the point entirely of AH Challenges? I thought the point was that the responders were supposed to do their best to make this happen, not respond with 100 different reasons why it's impossible.

The challenge has to have some realm of possibility to it though surely (otherwise it ought to go in the ASB forum?)...