AH Challenge: Christian Levant, Muslim Balkans

Baskilisk

Banned
Timeline in the making. Does anyone have any ideas that would make this possible, before 1800? I don't think a Constantinople-falls-Ottomanwank-Holy-Land-crusade would work.
Demographics: At least 50% of the former Yugoslavia is Muslim. At least 80% in Bulgaria, 70% in Wallachia. I have excluded Greece.
Even tougher challenge: Christian Anatolia and Levant, Muslim Balkans.

I might actually give this a shot, but I need to know if you have limitations on the exact POD date. Is it anything before 1800, or something more restricted?

Baskilisk

Banned
Uhuhuhuhm...Well, I think the earliest PoD can be anything that won't butterfly away Islam or keep Christianity from become widespread in western Europe.

I wrote a Muslim Europe, Christian Middle East TL where the Avars and Persians seized Constantinople and the Muslims in turn conquered the overextended mega-Persians (the western half, at least).

Egypt held the Sinai against them, while east survived and eventually became Nestorian. The Turks arrived per OTL and conquered the entire Middle East, adopting Nestorian Christianity from Persia.

I don't know if the Levant was conquered and re-Christianized, but the Balkans were Muslim.

I wrote a Muslim Europe, Christian Middle East TL where the Avars and Persians seized Constantinople and the Muslims in turn conquered the overextended mega-Persians (the western half, at least).

Egypt held the Sinai against them, while east survived and eventually became Nestorian. The Turks arrived per OTL and conquered the entire Middle East, adopting Nestorian Christianity from Persia.

I don't know if the Levant was conquered and re-Christianized, but the Balkans were Muslim.
If I could build on you scenario.... if Christian (Coptic? Arian? Monophysite?) Egypt loses Jerusalem but holds the Sinai, do you think the Crusades are launched by sea to Egypt and then overland striking north? If the Crusades succeed about as well as the first one did in OTL, they'll have the Muslims in a bit of a pincer as if Egypt never went Muslim I doubt very much of North Africa would either (analgous to the "blocking effect" kingdoms like Axum and Makuria had on Islam spreading south). Then you have the situation reversed from what happened to us, with Islam attempting to expand on it's periphery in the Balkans against the heartland of Christianity and blocked on all sides. Of course this will also change the history of the Rus since there's no Orthodox Empire to wow them. Maybe they go Muslim and you have a horde of Norse-led Slavs itching to convert the Germans? (Yeah I know I'm simplifying.)

Last edited:
If I could build on you scenario.... if Christian (Coptic? Arian? Monophysite?) Egypt loses Jerusalem but holds the Sinai, do you think the Crusades are launched by sea to Egypt and then overland striking north? If the Crusades succeed about as well as the first one did in OTL, they'll have the Muslims in a bit of a pincer as if Egypt never went Muslim I doubt very much of North Africa would either (analgous to the "blocking effect" kingdoms like Axum and Makuria had on Islam spreading south). Then you have the situation reversed from what happened to us, with Islam attempting to expand on it's periphery in the Balkans against the heartland of Christianity and blocked on all sides. Of course this will also change the history of the Rus since there's no Orthodox Empire to wow them. Maybe they go Muslim and you have a horde of Norse-led Slavs itching to convert the Germans? (Yeah I know I'm simplifying.)

Given how obnoxiously ideological the medival church was, they and the Egyptians (who were Monophysite) would not get along well.