Academy Awards in hindsight or list of Oscar winners & Nominations

The Academy awards is designed to to the pinnacle achievement in American cinema each year but every year we the people look back and say
Really that movie/actor/etc won? Or How did this movie/performance not get nominated? So I present this discussion to be similar to the List of US presidents form where YOU list the winners and nominations of any particular Oscar ceremony I just have a few rules
  1. You can't recast an actor and have that person win (this shouldn't be #1 but I can see a lot of people doing it.
  2. . The Winner of the award ( bestPicture/Director/actor etc ) must have been nominated IOTL*You can replace a nomination IOTL with someone different
  3. You can't make up a fictional movie
  4. No foreign films (those wins have always been controversial choices IOTL anyway)
*for example using the 60th Academy awards as example
Best Actor
Best Actress
For this example I decided that Dark Eyes was not qualified being an Indian/Soviet film and Glenn Close beat Cher IMTL.
Now what success or failures that the actors/directors/ producers gain in the new timeline for winning or losing?
I welcome you to this open forum and create your own list

Last edited:
Marcello Mastroianni's nomination was more of a "Career Achievement" nomination in a year without that many great performances in the Lead Actor category,
Only William Hurt being nominated for Broadcast News was from a Best Picture nominee, both Michael Douglas and Robin Williams were the sole nominees from their movies, and the only other nomination for Ironweed besides Jack Nicholson for Best Actor was Meryl Streep for Best Actress,
If Marcello Mastroianni wasn't nominated, then the most likely replacement would have been for John Lone for The Last Emperor which won for Best Picture that year.

Cher won as an "apology" for not being nominated for Mask two years previously.

Marcello Mastroianni's nomination was more of a "Career Achievement" nomination in a year without that many great performances in the Lead Actor category,
Only William Hurt being nominated for Broadcast News was from a Best Picture nominee, both Michael Douglas and Robin Williams were the sole nominees from their movies, and the only other nomination for Ironweed besides Jack Nicholson for Best Actor was Meryl Streep for Best Actress,
If Marcello Mastroianni wasn't nominated, then the most likely replacement would have been for John Lone for The Last Emperor which won for Best Picture that year.

Cher won as an "apology" for not being nominated for Mask two years previously.
I say again this is open for you to make your own list.
the example I used I took 10 min looking up Wikipedia to find something to use I picked Close cause her performance is still being talked about and for actors I was like what movie was popular at this time aaahhh Robocop fine

Last edited: