Abandoned/Proposed Feasible Megaprojects

You are still thinking of the traditional nuke that at least has a fissile booster.
What I think the kiat is talking about is direct fusion warheads. Those contain only explosives and hydrogen isotopes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Have those ever actually been produced? I thought that despite the theory being sound, there were other issues which so far had meant they were not possible to build with our current technology. If we don't have any, we can hardly be blamed for not planning to use them.

Have those ever actually been produced? I thought that despite the theory being sound, there were other issues which so far had meant they were not possible to build with our current technology. If we don't have any, we can hardly be blamed for not planning to use them.

think at the moment they are a bit the holy grail of nukes.
So one day we might see them.

Well the Nazi's put even the Soviets to shame in their love of masking plans for completely implausible and mad megaprojects.

BlondieBC

Banned
Bering Straight Damn (Stalin)

Diverting water to Aral Sea (Stalin)

Reversing flow on Congo to lake Chad (Modern Chinese)

A giant Holland type project in the North Sea. Rhine is diverted through Kiel canal, Thames through English Channel. You could walk from London to Berlin. (1910 or so)

A giant Holland type project in the North Sea. Rhine is diverted through Kiel canal, Thames through English Channel. You could walk from London to Berlin. (1910 or so)

Completed in 1939, just in time for a successful Sealion in 1940?

BlondieBC

Banned
Completed in 1939, just in time for a successful Sealion in 1940?

No Idea if it can even be built, but it was proposed. The area would be larger than the Low Countries, so I also have not idea who was supposed to settle there.

By blocking the English Channel, and diverting the Thames into the channel, it also will change sea currents around the UK possibly changing the weather.

Nobody's mentioned the proposed Japan-Korea Tunnel yet? It would be massively more expensive, longer, and more complicated than the Chunnel. Nonetheless, it would probably still be economically feasible, if only North Korea would allow cargo trains to pass through their territory.

No, and they won't be until we figure out how to ignite hydrogen isotopes in that manner without the energy of either a lot of lasers, a fission detonation, or whatever the magnetic confinement fusion method uses.

I'd imagine that antimatter-catalyzed fusion (where antimatter takes the place of a larger mass of plutonium) would be an example of a 'clean' atomic explosive, but that would require generating antimatter on a large scale. It's the only design that immediately comes to mind.

Anyway, other Megaprojects: Atlantropa is a favorite of mine. There's also Project Horizon (US Army project to build a fortress on the Moon defended by Claymore mines and Davy Crockett bombs).

By the way, a good book to read about huge projects is "Macro". Published back in the 1990s IIRC and full of interesting ideas.

Another is "Engineers Dreams" by Willie Ley IIRC.

For what it's worth, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry had a copy of "Engineers Dreams" and remembered the Alantropa concept from the book. He included references to it in his novelization of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture".

In the book, Admiral Kirk gets confirmation of the V'ger sighting while at the Strait of Gibraltar Dam.

The Brooklyn Battery Bridge? It actually would've been less expensive than the tunnel that was actually built, but it would've fucked up the New York skyline and Battery Park in the process, while running much too close to the Brooklyn Naval Yard.

Brooklyn-Battery-Bridge.jpg

I have a list of 27 proposed applications of nuclear explosives other than killing people, including electricity generation, desalinating ocean water, and aircraft propulsion. Like I said, the AEC got really creative at times.

That sounds interesting can you post your list?

lake eyre osmotic project

Build a canal from the shore of South Australia to Lake Eyre. Since the water in Lake Eyre would be much saltier than seawater, there would be a large osmotic gradient. Even if the lake is above sea level, the osmotic pressure would fill the lake. Evaporation from the lake would condense in the surrounding area, and the center would not be so red.

The Brooklyn Battery Bridge? It actually would've been less expensive than the tunnel that was actually built, but it would've fucked up the New York skyline and Battery Park in the process, while running much too close to the Brooklyn Naval Yard.

Brooklyn-Battery-Bridge.jpg

It still pisses me off that he wanted a Bridge but he wouldn't let O'Malley build a Dome on land no one wanted.:mad: