A WWI weapons system breakthrough?

One of my (many) pet hates on this site is the secret weapon or technological breakthrough. You know... "what would have happened had the Australian Army in 1937 not rejected the design for the new Mark Three Combat Boot with its built up heel and slip on facility? Would Singapore still have fallen?" But I've been browsing through Stanley Weintraub's book on the end of the Great War, A SILENCE HEARD ROUND THE WORLD (1985, paperback 1987 Oxford University Press) which has a rather interesting bit in it. In Chapter Three, ARMISTICE EVE, he describes how two American aeronautical engineers, Lester Barlow and Glenn Martin, were working on a scheme by which a plane would carry an unmanned second plane, really a flying torpedo, which could be released some distance from the target, while the parent plane returned to base. Berlin was to be the target. Squier, chief of the Air Corps, was at first sceptical, but according to Benedict Crowell, Assistant Secretary of War, became such a convert that his main fear was that the Germans would hit on the same idea.

In September 1918 government orders for production to begin arrived at Martin's aircraft plant in Cleveland. Martin estimated that 1,000 of these devices could be built for the cost of one battleship. Crowell's account has it that at least fifty of these would be used in a sudden night attack on Berlin. 800 Horsepower, each carrying a load of one and a half tons TNT or poison gas, these would be guided to the centre of the city where charges would be detonated which detached the wings causing the fall of the flying torpedos. Of course, at this point, with the war only two months to run, all of this came to nothing. Barlow said regretfully that they'd had the idea in October 1915 and it was a pity it hadn't been implemented earlier.

Now, I have no personal views on this matter, it's one well outside my usual spheres.Weintraub is, I believe, more of a cultural historian than anything else and the only source he gives in his notes is a NEW YORK TIMES article of 16/10/22, ARMISTICE AVERTED BOMBING OF BERLIN. I'm a hundred miles away from the nearest first class library and about the only thing I've come up with is an obituary of Barlow which makes him sound like a bit of a crank. Does anyone have any views? Was this technologically feasible, and if it had been given the go-ahead earlier what might have resulted?

So ... what would have happened had the Australian Army in 1937 not rejected the design for the new Mark Three Combat Boot with its built up heel and slip on facility?

John Smith wouldn't have died and would have gone on to the lay for the foundations for the cure to cancer

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well, its interesting but doesn't it assume that the parent planes can get past the fighter Jagds on the frontier ? One would then have to ask how accurate could these things be, even in terms of being able to fly in a straight line when released ? Its certainly fascinating, but I'm no engineer so I'll reserve judgement

Grey Wolf

Those are too easy, really. Just take WWII weapons and give them to WWI people and see what happens.
It's developing the technology secretly that's the problem. Technology development is expensive. Pursuading someone to spend large amounts of money secretly is not easy. You do have a point on that.
And if it's not secret, then the war is still stalemated. Other than gas and tanks and combined arms and stormtrooper doctrine, what else could have altered the dynamics of the Western Front aong the Somme?
A gas attack to panic and kill the German troops, a mass tank assault when the gas has forced the Germans to abandon their guns to breach the wire, artillary fire on the sides of the breakthrough to pin down the reaction forces, air attack on direct fire gunners to keep them from taking out the tanks till you've got through the trench lines, some APCs to bring troops with machineguns to behind the German line of retreat, and some flamethrowers to persuade the Germans to surrender or be burned alive in their bunkers.
Then you continue north with armored bulldozers to build trench lines to repulse German counter attacks aimed at canalizing the attack. You reach the Dutch border and take Antwerp, anchoring your line on the city.
The German army corps towards the channel are interned in the Netherlands. You have a major diplomatic victory and persuade the Italians to come in at the same time as the Rumanians, and the Austrians are fatally overstretched. Serbia stays in the war, and Bulgaria stays out.
Like that?

Bill Gunston's 'Encyclopedia of Rockets and Missiles' has descriptions of some interesting early projects for pilotless explosive-carrying aircraft, including the British AT (radio-controlled and prop-driven, developed from 1915 but never saw service) and the Low rocket (from Professor A M Low, radio-controlled and tested in 1917). There were several US projects including the Buck AT, Kettering and Sperry Bugs and the Modisette Hot Shot, all prop-driven and unguided. None of them came to anything.

In 1940 the British also produced the Miles Hoop-La, a small 300 mph pilotless aircraft designed to carry one 1,000 lb bomb and with the range to reach German cities, but the MAP wasn't interested. It couldn't have been less accurate than the manned bombers of the time, and the cost would have been small.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

In World War Two they could have used a winged bomb. What a winged bomb does is fly horizontally. This means that it will continue until it hits a building. Assume a ten to one glide ratio and you will increase your chance of actually hitting a building by about ten to one, though of course it will be less accurate for dispersion reasons. There will also be the possibility of dropping the bomb while you are still some distance from the antiaircraft guns on the center and far sides of the city. Loss rates would also be lower.
If you are just bombing cities, this is the way to go. Not accurate enough to hit refineries, probably.
Dropping lots of shaped charges might also help in terms of firebombing raids. These are the small ones used to blow holes in oil well pipe when you are developing the well. You have to perforate the casing as pretty much the last step before proppants. So lots of one pound bomblets to put a hot metal jet into ceilings in those buildings. They wouldn't bounce off a tile roof like the magnesium bombs could. Did incendiaries do that to a significant extent?
I only know of World War Two firefighting from fictional accounts which speak of people on rooftops looking for bombs that were spurting fire and putting the fires out with sand. No clue on what it was really like.

I don't know how good a shaped charge would be at starting fires if dropped on a roof. The jet might well have lost its force before hitting anything inflammable.

The standard late-war RAF approach was to drop big 4,000 lb 'cookies' which blew the roofs off buildings and crushed water supply pipes to hinder the firefighters. Then the little incendiaries dropped straight into the buildings.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum