A Wise President & Peaceful Union

RealityX

Banned
The british empire was built by a a taste for tea and spices,
it fell by a change from real politick to idealism.

If I was the president in place of Lincoln this is what I would have done:

1) find a way to declare war on mexico and cuba... then use this as an excuse to replace native soldiers of the south with northerners, while the southern soldiers fight the mexicans

2) I would have announced the concession plan... First I would acknowledge the right of people to own their current property, but that human trafficking was now to be illegal. Second I would make it illegal to allow any slaves to produce offspring , via segregation of the genders. If offspring is produced the child will be considered a free legal heir of his parents master. Therefore slavery would only last one or two more generations before dying out while allowing the south time to alter their economy. This would most likely appeal to both the north and the south as it still considers black people undesirable, while slavery also disappears over time

3) I would properly define that no state can completely leave the union and the rights of states:

States cannot have their own standing military or diplomats, and free trade must be allowed between all states in the union, however concerning the federal government it is left up to the states how involved they want to be. The only federal tax is considered to be fixed for supporting the military, the senate, congress, and the presidents office.

Laws are not transferable from state to state without agreement between said states

A democratic system of government based on universal suffrage (any form) must be visible

4) With the conquering of catholic areas bringing discontent I would pass a law against organized religion... like churches have to pay taxes as well

5) I would make a law that states any united states 'territories' are temporary and can only last 10 years at maximum before being given statehood. (this means any territory conquered has to be admitted into the union even if the conquerors don't want it too... Eventually leading to a very large union...

If I was the president in place of Lincoln this is what I would have done:

1) find a way to declare war on mexico and cuba... then use this as an excuse to replace native soldiers of the south with northerners, while the southern soldiers fight the mexicans

"Heya Mr.President here, i have no good reason for it but im going to send our young boys off to fight Spain. Also im pretty sure there is a 100% chance that France will not try to save little brother Spain, which would cause a chain reaction of the UK hating on us too. Also if you dont mind im also placing the Southern states under de facto military occupation, that ok?":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't actually remember is Spain and France were still friends at this time, i think they were.

Three words: Checks and Balances.

A President is not a dictator and can't have his will instantly done without debate, so there is a big plot hole there.

2) I would have announced the concession plan... First I would acknowledge the right of people to own their current property, but that human trafficking was now to be illegal. Second I would make it illegal to allow any slaves to produce offspring , via segregation of the genders. If offspring is produced the child will be considered a free legal heir of his parents master. Therefore slavery would only last one or two more generations before dying out while allowing the south time to alter their economy. This would most likely appeal to both the north and the south as it still considers black people undesirable, while slavery also disappears over time

What kind of disgusting wise move is this?:mad:

Ending slavery by wiping out the black race is sort of like ending homelessness by turning the poor into Soylent Green. By which I mean, you do something for the benefit of a group, but you go about it in a way which supremely hurts that group.

Typo

Banned
I would have announced the concession plan... First I would acknowledge the right of people to own their current property, but that human trafficking was now to be illegal. Second I would make it illegal to allow any slaves to produce offspring , via segregation of the genders. If offspring is produced the child will be considered a free legal heir of his parents master. Therefore slavery would only last one or two more generations before dying out while allowing the south time to alter their economy. This would most likely appeal to both the north and the south as it still considers black people undesirable, while slavery also disappears over time
That's actually the worst idea ever, both for its intended purpose and the side-effects
3) I would properly define that no state can completely leave the union and the rights of states:

States cannot have their own standing military or diplomats, and free trade must be allowed between all states in the union, however concerning the federal government it is left up to the states how involved they want to be. The only federal tax is considered to be fixed for supporting the military, the senate, congress, and the presidents office.

4) With the conquering of catholic areas bringing discontent I would pass a law against organized religion... like churches have to pay taxes as well
While I am sure that general-secretary Stalin would be able to force such fundamental changes to his country through, president Lincoln is not the general-secretary of the United Worker's States of America

Last edited:

RealityX

Banned
While the solutions I have proposed here are obviously 'politically incorrect' for the ears of today, I have a feeling that saving ones country from entering a civil war based on the 'hypothetical equal rights for the black race' movement would have been the moral thing to do. In fact the real reasons are not as noble as many suspect but rather a war over the direction that the union would take regarding division of power between the federal government and the state governments. The south favoring agrarian decentralization while the north was the centralized industrial portion of the union. It should also be noted that the south's economy and political power were in the hands of a very few plantation owners. What I suggested is allowing slavery to die peacefully rather than through bloody murder.

This might be off topic but
There is no reason to bring children into the world who would immediately face discrimination. Being different from the majority is never a peaceful experience. Arguably the US was originally supported by the emergence of a plain 'inferior' scape goat 'the blacks or Negroes' that would allow for a more culturally unified culture- think of what the Jews were to the Nazis, but even better as the 'black race' was technologically inferior and easily identifiable. This was the paradigm, 'there was no longer the Irish, Scottish, Dutch, the Italian... but now there was but black and white. Maybe if black slaves were not brought over, the 'English-like' might have been a target for much longer after the revolutionary war... Maybe the US would adopt German instead...

Im not saying its politically incorrect, im saying that its not going to be possible to do, if your planning on staying alive for the rest of the year after you announce these reforms.

Typo

Banned
While the solutions I have proposed here are obviously 'politically incorrect' for the ears of today,
Ummm, it's more along the lines of really stupid and show a lack understanding of history of the United States in general and the causes of the civil war in particular.
In fact the real reasons are not as noble as many suspect but rather a war over the direction that the union would take regarding division of power between the federal government and the state governments. The south favoring agrarian decentralization while the north was the centralized industrial portion of the union. It should also be noted that the south's economy and political power were in the hands of a very few plantation owners. What I suggested is allowing slavery to die peacefully rather than through bloody murder.
I feel that you don't really understand the meaning of what you typed.

So you think millions of blacks not and ever existing would be better then the 600,000 Americans dead in OTL Civil War? Approximately then tens of millions at least thirty or forty million blacks would never have existed almost fifty times the dead of the Civil War and I'd rather be discrimnated against rather then never live thank you very much.