A truly Canadian Royal Family

So I'm looking for informed input into a part of one of my TL's that I'm prepping. Essentially, it's a more powerful Canada that comes out of the War of 1812. A concerted effort is made to boost Canada's population, infrastructure, military, etc. due to British worry at once again losing their largest white settler colonies. In a twist, there are musings in Britain and British North America (Canada) that if Canada were its own Kingdom with its own separate Crown, Canada could potentially be free of the Monroe Doctrine while acting for British interests and serving as a check against American power and influence.

The Act of Confederation occurs in 1847 in this TL, so what I need is help and suggestions about who (in the time of Victoria's reign) would make a good King/Queen of a new Kingdom of Canada with a new branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha.

So I'm looking for informed input into a part of one of my TL's that I'm prepping. Essentially, it's a more powerful Canada that comes out of the War of 1812. A concerted effort is made to boost Canada's population, infrastructure, military, etc. due to British worry at once again losing their largest white settler colonies. In a twist, there are musings in Britain and British North America (Canada) that if Canada were its own Kingdom with its own separate Crown, Canada could potentially be free of the Monroe Doctrine while acting for British interests and serving as a check against American power and influence.

The Act of Confederation occurs in 1847 in this TL, so what I need is help and suggestions about who (in the time of Victoria's reign) would make a good King/Queen of a new Kingdom of Canada with a new branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha.

Not sure what to say, except if you're going to make a Canadian Kingdom, my suggestion is, at least don't go the route DoD eventually took. Why not try something indigenous(no, not Native American, either :p) instead? I can send you something sometime, if you're open to new ideas. :)

An interesting idea CK, however, such a scenario is highly unlikely during this time period.

Being Canadians, and in reverence and gratitude to the monarch that has elevated them to a Kingdom alongside Great Britain. The two would remain in personal union for the duration of Victoria`s reign ( she could abdicate earlier of course...but this is Victoria we are talking about) and then devolve to the next most junior heir following the Pr. of W. thats just opinion of course though. That would be Alfred Duke of Edinburgh ( he would probably be attending to many of the Queen/Empress's duties in Canada towards the end of her reign in any case., or more probably, since he predeceased Victoria, his own son Alfred ( at the tender age of only 27) would gain the new throne.

It's not totally unlikely. 19th century europe was full of new kingdoms getting filled with younger sons of minor German nobles.

I have two suggestions on a Canadian monarch:

1 - probably more likely, if you pushed the date of confederation later - would be one of Queen Victoria's younger sons - like Prince Alfred.

2 - More fun - a member of the Spencer-Churchill Family - like the 7th Duke of Marlborough - which would have the result of making Winston Churchill Canadian when he is born in 1874!

There are some good suggestions here. I aimed for 1847 because it would (in a way) help in my TL since it would bring Canada/Britain into conflict with the States over the Oregon Country and the Mexican-American War.

I can push Confederation to 1857 (when Ottawa in OTL was incorporated as a city), since I still want to demonstrate that Canada ITTL is advancing faster due to increased British interests, policies, etc. If it's 1867, it sorta defeats the purpose/point.

I have two suggestions on a Canadian monarch:

1 - probably more likely, if you pushed the date of confederation later - would be one of Queen Victoria's younger sons - like Prince Alfred.

2 - More fun - a member of the Spencer-Churchill Family - like the 7th Duke of Marlborough - which would have the result of making Winston Churchill Canadian when he is born in 1874!

Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught did serve as Governor General between 1911 and 1916. We could easily turn the governorship hereditary and thus have a quasi-monarchy in Canada to run along the King/Queen.

Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught did serve as Governor General between 1911 and 1916. We could easily turn the governorship hereditary and thus have a quasi-monarchy in Canada to run along the King/Queen.

See, I considered something like that as well (Governor-General is always a prominent member of the royal family), but it still doesn't accomplish a key aspect of this TL, which is that of an independent Kingdom of Canada that is still loyal to the British Empire and her interests, free from the constrictions of the Monroe Doctrine (being a North American power and all) and serving as a check and balance against American power and influence, helping to assure British dominance.

Stupid-weird idea maybe, asb possibly, but...

What if not canadian, but CANADIEN? What if by example, after the Restoration of Monarchy to France, the britishes would have made efforts to reinstal links to the FRENCH crown (a crown sympathic-allied to Britain, of course...) for the Canadiens (and Acadiens, albeit both sides the elites more..)?

It sounds weird, but remember, the britishe prefered the old royal to a new napoleonic leader, and this was soon after the Conquest, when progressist ideas weren't on so much (a frequently forgotten part of the final break up of my ancestors ('s culture) and frenches was not just the Conquest, but also the Revolution, who had set the two peoples apart for good too..)...
(I vaguely remmember some texts showing that the clergy remaining but maybe also the few remaining other elites being horrified of the Revolution's bases, ideas and results...)

Stupid-weird idea maybe, asb possibly, but...

What if not canadian, but CANADIEN?

Same thing, mon ami. ;)

What if by example, after the Restoration of Monarchy to France, the britishes would have made efforts to reinstal links to the FRENCH crown (a crown sympathic-allied to Britain, of course...) for the Canadiens (and Acadiens, albeit both sides the elites more..)?

It sounds weird, but remember, the britishe prefered the old royal to a new napoleonic leader, and this was soon after the Conquest, when progressist ideas weren't on so much (a frequently forgotten part of the final break up of my ancestors ('s culture) and frenches was not just the Conquest, but also the Revolution, who had set the two peoples apart for good too..)...
(I vaguely remmember some texts showing that the clergy remaining but maybe also the few remaining other elites being horrified of the Revolution's bases, ideas and results...)

It might be possible, but would the French even WANT to permanently move/rule over what many French (and British for that matter) at the time considered a cold, dreary, and lifeless chunk of land? It might be possible to have a British Prince/Duke to marry someone from the House of Orleans, and their child might get the job or something.

Same thing, mon ami. ;)

It might be possible, but would the French even WANT to permanently move/rule over what many French (and British for that matter) at the time considered a cold, dreary, and lifeless chunk of land? It might be possible to have a British Prince/Duke to marry someone from the House of Orleans, and their child might get the job or something.

No - Canadiens was the original name of my ancestors, the french-canadians. It's why the Habs got called 'Les Canadiens de Montréal'...

Maybe after the second 'revolution' (who could get maybe worse) or such, when the monarchy is abolish again? The crown heir flee with his nobles, etc...

No - Canadiens was the original name of my ancestors, the french-canadians. It's why the Habs got called 'Les Canadiens de Montréal'...

Same here, and Canadien/Canadian is the same thing, just a different language. And we aren't even that different.

Maybe after the second revolution or such, when the monarchy is abolish again? The crown heir flee with his nobles, etc...

But would that still be within the acceptable time frame? Also, how would Britain and others likely respond to the idea of a French King becoming the King of a rather British colony that at one point used to be French? It would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions, that would probably be left alone/dismissed, as hilarious, awesome, and ironic it would be.

Same here, and Canadien/Canadian is the same thing, just a different language. And we aren't even that different.

But would that still be within the acceptable time frame? Also, how would Britain and others likely respond to the idea of a French King becoming the King of a rather British colony that at one point used to be French? It would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions, that would probably be left alone/dismissed, as hilarious, awesome, and ironic it would be.

yes, but in those days, canada was not an idea totally beyond a vague geographical area - it's why when the political idea of a nation called Canada came to be, our ancestors where kinda forced to call themselves French-canadians from Big C Canadiens.
The anglo-canadians thought of themselves as *britishes*. Canadians or Canucks is a new calling kinda. Canadiens is an old term who existed in New France texts.

Well, France's anti-monarchist feeling actually survived, and returned in due time, so... As much as a noble would try so, the people may say 'keep yer nobles, Britain,...

When Victoria's father Prince Edward (Yes, the one after whom the island is named...) was Governor there, back before he returned home and married to produce a legitimate heir (just in case none of his elder brothers succeeded in this), he had a long-term Canadienne mistress who was generally accepted in local society as his consort. IOTL that relationship was childless, but...

I think a Canadian monarchy is a really different idea. My concern with this is how the new monarchy would relate to the British Crown. Would having a subservient monarchy concrete the British monarchy as an emperorship, not just of India but as its first identity not its second. Or would Canada's new monarch be King in Canada rather than King of Canada like Prussia was for a while.