A successful political career for Randolph Churchill

How could Randolph Churchill, the son of Sir Winston, have a successful political career? Maybe not as successful as his father but maybe enough to be Prime Minister someday? If he keeps his seat in Preston during the 1945 election, how far could he go? Or if his father had been granted the Dukedom of London, and he inherits it when he dies and gets a seat in the House of Lords. Where could he go from there?

Cook

Banned
If WC went to the House of Lords it would be as a Life Pier. His title and seat would not be inherited by his son upon his death.

Larrikin

Banned
How could Randolph Churchill, the son of Sir Winston, have a successful political career? Maybe not as successful as his father but maybe enough to be Prime Minister someday? If he keeps his seat in Preston during the 1945 election, how far could he go? Or if his father had been granted the Dukedom of London, and he inherits it when he dies and gets a seat in the House of Lords. Where could he go from there?

After several hundred years it some the talent well in the Churchills well and truly ran out after Winnie. His grandson is a drug dealer. If Randolph couldn't hold his seat on the good will that would have been generated by his father's Prime Ministership you have to think he was a damn poor MP.

Larrikin

Banned
If WC went to the House of Lords it would be as a Life Pier. His title and seat would not be inherited by his son upon his death.

What's a "Life Pier"? Is it anything like a life boat that doesn't actually come and get you?

And WSC's peerage wouldn't necessarily have been a Life Peerage, he could have been given a permanent rise to the Peerage, after all, he is the grandson of a Duke.

Life piers (sic) weren't created until the late fifties. Before then it was standard to give hereditary peerages to those who wanted them; Churchill was offered a dukedom as I recall.

From what I know of Randolph I can't see him going very far. He had a lot of vices and few virtues.

Slight problem, Churchill gave up the Dukedom precisely so Randolf could become an MP. Of course, if Randolf is convinced he could have a career in the Lords instead...

Larrikin

Banned
Slight problem, Churchill gave up the Dukedom precisely so Randolf could become an MP. Of course, if Randolf is convinced he could have a career in the Lords instead...

? It is quite possible for a Peer of the Realm to choose to run for and sit in the Lower House. And if Winnie got a Peerage it wouldn't necessarily make Randolph a Peer until his father died.

Whilst the eldest son of a Peer (often referred to as 'Lord X' due to the use of courtesy titles) may enter the Commons, until 1963 a Peer could not be elected to the lower House, see Tony Benn, who is principally responsible for drumming up support for the relevant legislation.

That being said Randolph could have a career in the Lords, not as PM but possibly Leader of the Lords with one of the associated positions. The highest position he could probably reach would be Foreign Secretary but that would require him drying himself out, which would make him somewhat less useless.

? It is quite possible for a Peer of the Realm to choose to run for and sit in the Lower House. And if Winnie got a Peerage it wouldn't necessarily make Randolph a Peer until his father died.

Whilst the eldest son of a Peer (often referred to as 'Lord X' due to the use of courtesy titles) may enter the Commons, until 1963 a Peer could not be elected to the lower House, see Tony Benn, who is principally responsible for drumming up support for the relevant legislation.

That being said Randolph could have a career in the Lords, not as PM but possibly Leader of the Lords with one of the associated positions. The highest position he could probably reach would be Foreign Secretary but that would require him drying himself out, which would make him somewhat less useless.

[ANNOYING KNOWITALL SMARTARSE] I believe that's not quite correct- Tony Benn brought about legislation in 1963 which allowed peers to disclaim their titles in order to sit in the Commons (later that year the 14th Earl of Home disclaimed his title to become prime minister as Alexander Douglas Home). It's only since the removal of most hereditary peers from the Lords in 1999 that peers have been able to sit in the lower chamber without disclaiming their titles. [/ANNOYING KNOWITALL SMARTARSE]

Tony Benn brought about legislation in 1963 which allowed peers to disclaim their titles in order to sit in the Commons (later that year the 14th Earl of Home disclaimed his title to become prime minister as Alexander Douglas Home). It's only since the removal of most hereditary peers from the Lords in 1999 that peers have been able to sit in the lower chamber without disclaiming their titles.

There was me thinking that would be an unnecessary level of detail given that one can barely affect Randolph's career and the other almost certainly not at all. Glad to see I'm not the only one with Constitutional OCD.

There was me thinking that would be an unnecessary level of detail given that one can barely affect Randolph's career and the other almost certainly not at all. Glad to see I'm not the only one with Constitutional OCD.

It's a most exclusive condition.:D

Anyway- he may have been a drunk and have had no discernible political talent, but the same could be said of his father if circumstances had been different. It isn't necessarily ASB for him to succeed politically under the right circumstances given a bit of justifiable handwaving. A TL based on this premise would require a bit of artistic licence in inventing a personality for Randolph which fitted both the premises and the facts, but I suspect it could be done.

Not that I've read any biographies or anything, mind, so it might be an idea to consider the possibility that I could be talking out of my arse...

Last edited: