A Storm Over Okehazama Redux: A Sengoku Japan TL

Par1: A Fool is Felled at Okehazama
June 12th, 1560

Okehazama, Owari Province

It was a dull gray sky with the sun obscured by a thunderstorm. In sharp contrast, the sounds of celebration echoed from the camp of the army of Imagawa Yoshimoto, ninth head of the Imagawa Clan of Suruga. Yoshimoto himself sat within his camp, slipping chai from a small bowl. [1]

'I have marched halfway into Owari, and this is the resistance I face? Perhaps this fool of Owari is not a fool after all if he chooses not to face me. Maybe if he had shown more respect to his father Nobuhide, he would have put up stiffer resistance. At this rate marching on Kyoto may as well be a lovely stroll.' A small smile formed across Yoshimoto's face as he took another sip of chai. [2]

However, a growing sense of unease made Yoshimoto wary, he felt as if the situation could change in a heartbeat.

'What if all of this alleged weakness was really a trap? Nobuhide was crafty and despite his son being a fool, simple fools do not rise to the top of family power struggles. After all, I was a mere monk before my own father's unexpected death saw me thrust into a struggle between my own family.'

Before he could think further, a bolt of lightning struck one of Yoshimoto’s battle standards, setting it on fire. Taking this an ill omen, Yoshimoto had given the order for his men to be on guard, but not give off the feeling of alertness. Yoshimoto had turned towards one of his hatamoto, a man who knew named Naoie.[3]

"You, I want you to take my place for a diversion." Naoie bowed, but the order had felt sudden.

“My Lord, is something wrong?” The Oda forces were supposed to be encamped, the Hatamoto did not know what they had to fear, Nobunaga was not that foolish was he?

"I fear an ambush, but I do not wish to let the chance to catch these snakes pass us by. Do not worry we will lie in wait to retaliate." Yoshimoto explained to ease Naoie's concerns.

“I am sworn to serve you, even if it means giving up my life, but I shall take your place without complaint My Lord."

"Before you do that I have three other orders. First, have someone send word to bring three sonae to the rear, then inform the rest of the commanders to be on their guard, but encourage more noise. Finally tell Motoyasu to ready his vanguard to march on Zenshoji." Yoshimoto said urgently as Naoie gave him his utmost attention. [4]

"Understood My Lord." Naoie gave a quick bow, before leaving Yoshimoto to ready himself for a possible attack.

(One Hour Earlier)

Zenshoji, Okehazama, Owari Province

The Oda forces had camped not too far from Imagawa, while the soldiers were prepared, their leader was not yet in camp.

A small distance away, a man dressed in armor was engaging in song and dance with a fan in his hand, with only a lone attendant with a small drum to accompany him. Slowly moving around as if he were a part of his favorite play, and not about to risk his life, fighting in an almost suicidal battle against an army nearly ten times its size.

“A man’s life of fifty years is nothing compared to the age of this world. Life is but a fleeting dream, an illusion, is there anything that lasts forever?” Sang the dancing figure. The man was Oda Nobunaga of the Oda clan of Owari, calmly dancing and singing a line from Atsumori, his favorite play seemingly unconcerned before what may be his last battle. [5]

Nobunaga’s choices against the Imagawa were bleak. A frontal attack would be foolish, but neither could he hold the Imagawa off in a siege. His only alternative was a surprise attack on the Imagawa and hoped it worked. Gathering a small force of three sonae of fifteen hundred men, Nobunaga set out to ambush the Imagawa army, while another thousand would distract them with a false encampment. Nobunaga, greatly outnumbered, had to make a daring gamble. Either he would defeat the Imagawa and rise to greatness or fade into the mists of history. Nobunaga returned to his camp and set out. Under the cover of a raging thunderstorm he would begin his most important march of his life.

(Present)

Nobunaga and his men had made their way towards the Imagawa camp with one-fifth of them mounted on horseback while the Imagawa soldiers were still drunkenly celebrating. Having made his way to the rear of the Imagawa army and their main camp Nobunaga began his assault. Things seemed to be progressing with the Imagawa forces seemingly too drunk to retaliate and began to run away, but they were cut down to prevent them from warning the rest of the army.

The clamor of battle soon traveled to the rest of the camp. Yoshimoto’s instincts were proven right! Yoshimoto was hidden with three sonae near his main camp and when Nobunaga’s soldiers came to attack his body double they were ambushed and promptly slain. As what was once a surprise attack had soon become a battle.

Yoshimoto vowed he would personally make that upstart fool Nobunaga regret his decision. Yoshimoto had hoped that commander of the vanguard Matsudaira Motoyasu would be able to cut off the Oda escape, while he would engage in a counter attack. Mounting a horse and grabbing his bow Yoshimoto pursued the fleeing Oda forces, with his own.

Nobunaga and his forces were forced to escape back towards the north of Yoshimoto's forces. Nobunaga was annoyed, Apparently not all of Yoshimoto’s army were drunken sots, someone was taking down his horsemen with only a bow, be it just the horse or sometimes the rider.

'Chances are Yoshimoto himself is among them, horse archery was an antiquated way of war fitting for a man who is a relic of the past. However, for such a relic he's no less deadly.' Nobunaga had time for an idle thought while he and his men were forced to press on.

Nobunaga and his forces managed to escape the the large mass of Imagawa troops and head towards Zenshoji only to be confronted by all too familiar banners of the Matsudaira, most of his forces fought to cover his retreat, while he and a small group of horsemen rode back toward Zenshoji. However a small unit of horsemen bearing the triple Hollyhock banner of the Matsudaira started to engage them, Nobunaga was able to best a few of the horsemen before coming up against a warrior with a tall helmet Nobunaga struck the horse with his spear, but not before his own horse was struck as well.

Both men were able to dismount safely, with Nobunaga losing his spear in the process. Nobunaga had confronted what looked to be a commander judging by the armor. Nobunaga drew his sword before the commander could strike him with his spear. Nobunaga deflected the blow and cut off the upper part of the shaft redering the spear worthless. The commander drew his own sword allowing Nobuanaga to get a good look at his opponent, it was his old friend Matsudaira Motoyasu.

“So Takechiyo, is this how things end?” Nobunaga asked, using his friend’s childhood name. He cared little for formality, especially if he was to die soon. [7]

“I am Motoyasu now, Lord Nobunaga, and I am afraid it is the way of this world.” Motoyasu’s tone was grave.

Both men began to fight, with both sides evenly matched, Nobunaga was much older and experienced while Motoyasu was well rested and was trained during his time as a hostage. Motoyasu had managed to exploit his opponent's tiredness, gradually pressing the advantage, stabbing Nobunaga through the abdomen. Realizing he was about to die he looked at Motoyasu one last time. “Motoyasu, look after Kimyomaru and the others for me.” Nobunaga's tone was uncharacteristically solemn. [8]

Nobunaga recalled his 26 years, the death of his father and the power struggle with his brothers and cousins, only for it to end now. Life truly was an illusion, a fleeting dream under heaven, despite believing there was nothing at the end. The last thing Nobunaga saw was his former friend's face almost in tears, moving to decapitate him.

The Imagawa forces had managed to drive back the Oda forces, and the heads of their slain were gathered in front of Yoshimoto at their camp. One of the last to arrive was Motoyasu with the head of Nobunaga himself.

"Motoyasu." Yoshimoto’s tone was unexpectedly formal despite this, Motoyasu still stood at attention. "You knew Lord Nobunaga did you not?"

"Only when I was a hostage of the Oda, My Lord." Yoshimoto nodded in understanding.

"I had heard many things about the man, most of them negative and apparently false, what were his last words?" asked Yoshimoto curious as to how foolish Nobunaga truly was.

"He wanted me to look after his family." Motoyasu was, unsure of how his lord would react.

"Hmm fool or not, anyone can recognize your talents Motoyasu. I will let you honor that request if you wish." Yoshimoto's remark had caused Motoyasu to give a sigh of relief. "Make sure your men are well rested. We are to continue our march towards Kiyosu Castle tomorrow." Yoshimoto's order was met with cheers as the with many cheers.

"Yes, My lord." Motoyasu had left to return to his post.

As Motoyasu returned to his men, the Imagawa forces in camp mostly had returned to celebrating, while Yoshimoto stared at the collection of heads with Nobunaga's among them. [10]

[1] Japanese for tea, I'm trying to keep some terms localized where possible.

[2] Imagawa Yoshimoto was said to engage in habits of the aristocracy such as having blacked teeth and shaved eyebrows, and for what it was worth the Imagawa did have the lineage to become Shogun, so taking a bit of liberty I made Yoshimoto a bit arrogant.

[3] This is the Main Point of Divergance, Historically Oda Nobunaga was able to catch the Imagawa main camp off guard and managed to kill Yoshimoto, which threw the much larger Imagawa forces into confusion causing the downfall of the Imagawa and independence of the Matsudaira who eventually became the Tokugawa and united the land. This coupled with the Miyoshi imploding and Saito growing weak allowed Nobunaga to eventually start uniting Japan. Here Nobunaga is not going so lucky, with fatal consequences. A hatamoto is a daimyo's direct retainer.

[4] Motoyasu Matsudaira was the leader of Yoshimoto's vanguard. Motoyasu who would be OTL Ieyasu Tokugawa who would eventually unite Japan, was an Imagawa vassal at this time. A sonae is a Japanese levy that could range from 800 to 1500 men.

[5] Atsumori was a Noh play, this is a common translation of Nobunaga's favorite verse, which he often sung before battle.

[6] Yoshimoto himself was skilled at archery.

[7] Motoyasu had met Nobunaga when Motoyasu was captured as a child and taken hostage by Nobunaga's father Oda Nobuhide, to get the Matsudaira back on the Oda's side. Takechiyo was Motoyasu's childhood name.

[8] Kimyomaru or strange one, was the childhood name Nobunaga gave to his first legitimate son who would be known as Oda Nobutada who would die with Nobunaga at Honnoji. At this time, Nobunaga has four sons and one daughter with possible leeway for a second one.

[9] Nobunaga's eccentric behavior didn't win him any favors with several of his retainers and vassals, that Nobunaga was derogatorily known as The Fool of Owari. This led to conflict within the Oda after Nobunaga's father Nobuhide died that ultimately saw Nobunaga triumphant. Among one of those behaviors were informal, almost disrespectful speech, and his atheism which included not believing in spirits or superstitions of any kind. On the lighter scale, his referenced earlier love of the Noh play Atsumori, and the tea ceremony and it's tea instruments.

[10] Head taking was a practice of the time where enemies heads would be cut off and presented to their commander for rewards.

I hope no one minds the dialogue, the Sengoku period was a period of personalities and I feel it would be best told through a personal lens. That and I took a lot of inspiration from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novels. Japanese Honorifics are going to not going to be used, but a formal style of address will take it's place.

Map of Japan 1560
Sennn.png

Here is a Map Key because I have this on Imgur and it barely loads sometime. Also this a 'new' map, that I've used on Sufficient Velocity, but never on AH.com. Province names that are in Bold are contested. I'm sorry about all of the colors, but there were a lot of clans to take into account since I usually just kept colored fully controlled provinces for lack of drawling skill with previous versions of this. The Northeast got especially bad and I had to use Nobunaga's Ambition as frame of reference because you will not find a better map otherwise, or at least one in English. Aside from the Ouchi Clan in black the map is pretty much OTL 1560.

Provinces of Kyushu (Western Island)

Otomo Clan (Khaki): Bungo, Buzen, Chikugo, Chikuzen, Hyuga, Higo
Shimazu Clan (Light Green): Satsuma, Osumi
Ryuzoji Clan (Royal Blue): Hizen, Chikuzen
So Clan (Dark Grey): Tsushima
Aso Clan (Forest Green): Higo
Sagara Clan (Chestnut): Higo
Ito Clan (Doger Blue): Hyuga
Kimtosuki Clan (Yellow-Green): Osumi
Arima Clan (Gray): Hizen
Matsura Clan (Dark Cyan): Hizen

Provinces of Shikoku (Southern Island)

Motoyama Clan (Dark Magenta): Iyo, Tosa
Chosokabe Clan (Tan): Tosa
Kono Clan (Slate Gray): Iyo
Saionji Clan (Light Gray): Iyo
Ichijo Clan (Deep Sky Blue): Tosa
Iyo-Ustunomiya Clan (Tomato): Iyo [Ustonomiya Branch] [1]
Aki Clan (Deep Pink): Tosa

Provinces of Honshu (Central Island)
Divided by Region with Colored Borders

Provinces of Chugoku (Borders in Red)

Ouchi Clan (Black): Suo, Nagato, Aki, Iwami, Bingo, Chikuzen [2]
Amago Clan (Dark Blue): Izumo, Iwami, Bingo, Hoki, Oki
Yamana Clan (Brown): Inaba, Tajima, Mimasaka, Hoki, Harima
Uragami Clan (Pale Turqoise): Bizen, Mimasaka
Mimura Clan (Light Salomn): Bitchu
Miura Clan (Pale Sea Green): Bitchu

Provinces of Kansai (Borders in Blue)

Bessho Clan (Lawn Green): Harima
Akamatsu Clan (Coral): Harima
Isshiki Clan (Light Green): Tango
Hatano Clan (Brown-Red): Tamba
Wakasa Takeda Clan (White): Wakasa [Branch of the Takeda]
Ashikaga Clan (Purple): Yamashiro [3]
Miyoshi Clan (Dark Green): Settsu, Awa (island), Awaji, Sanuki, Izumi, Kawachi, Yamato
Rokkaku Clan (Dark Brown): Omi, Iga, Ise [4]
Ikko Ikki (Fuscha): Settsu, Kaga, Ise [5]
Kuki Clan (Dark Orange): Shima
Azai Clan (Dark Violet): Omi
Tsutsui Clan (Navajo White): Yamato
Kitabatake Clan (Light Yellow): Ise
Suzuki Clan (Cadet Blue): Kii
Kii-Hakateyama (Chocolate): Kii [Branch of the Hakateyama]

Chubu Based Clans (Borders in Black)

Saito Clan (Pink): Mino
Asakura Clan (Light Blue): Echizen
Kai-Takeda Clan (Red): Kai, Shinano, Kozuke, Sagami
Imagawa Clan (Cyan): Suruga, Tomtomi, Mikawa
Uesugi Clan(Dark Slate Blue): Echigo, Etchu, Shinano, Musashi, [6]
Oda Clan (Yellow): Owari
Anegakoji Clan (Olive): Hida
Jinbo Clan (Goldenrode): Etchu
Noto-Hatakeyama Clan (Dark Khaki): Noto [Branch of the Hakateyama]
Honma Clan (Turqoise): Sado

Kanto Based Clans (Borders in Yellow)

Hojo Clan (Blue): Sagami, Izu, Musashi, Kazusa, Shimosa, Hitachi
Satake Clan (Orange-Red): Kazusa, Awa
Yuki Clan (Maroon): Shimtosuke, Kozuke
Sano Clan (Dark Slate Gray): Shimtosuke
Ustunomiya Clan (Pale Violet Red): Shimtosuke
Satomi Clan (Peru): Hitachi
Shirakawa-Yuki Clan (Peachpuff): Shimtosuke, Hiatchi [Branch of the Yuki]
Nagano Clan (Dark Orchid): Kozuke
Oda Clan (Light Pink): Hitachi, Shimosa [7]

Tohoku Based Clans and Hokkaido (Borders in Green)

Dewa Based Clans: Asari Clan (Dark Salmon), Anto Clan (Burlywood), Onodera Clan (Aqua), Tozawa Clan (Rosey Brown), Daihoji Clan (Light Sea Green), Mogami Clan (Navajo White)

Mutsu Based Clans: Namioka Clan (Yellow-Green), Nanbu Clan (Dark Red), Date Clan (Thistle), Shiba Clan (Orchid), Kasai Clan (Hotpink),
Heinuki Clan (Cornflower Blue), Osaki Clan (Plum), Soma Clan (Spring Green), Tamura Clan (Light Sky Blue), Nihonmatsu Clan (Firebrick), Nikaido Clan (Silver), Iwaki Clan (Lemon Chifron), Ashina Clan (Gold)

Kakizaki Clan (Dark Slate Grey) [8]

[1] In Sengoku Japan you had families related to each other that could also share the same family name, instead of different names.
[2] As a micro POD the Ouchi Caln won the Battle of Miyajima.
[3] The Ashikaga clan are the current Shoguns who rule from Kyoto at this time.
[4] Iga Province wasn't controlled by the Rokkaku, but one really knows who ruled the league of families of Iga also known as the Iga Ikki.
[5] The Ikko Ikki were not a clan but a religious movement with hereditary succession and ties to other feudal families.
[6] Some clans had adopted the names of other famous clans. The most famous member of the Uesugi, Kenshin was a member of the Nagao, by blood and was adopted into the Uesugi. The Hojo of this period were the Ise, and not related to the Kamakura Hojo reagents that weathered the Mongol Invasions.
[7] The Oda of Hiatchi are not related to the Oda of Owari, The Hitachi Oda were descended from allies of the Minamoto family, The Owari Oda descend proclaimed to descend from the Taira.
[8] Hokkaido was in the process of being colonized, but the Kakizaki ruled no formal provinces, only from their power base at Matsumae Castle.