A Red Dawn: American Revolution and Rebirth

Excerpts from the AH.com thread "Favorite books, tv shows and movies?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibbertygibbet
Ah, American Girls are Easy...that was like the biggest movie in the world when I was like 15. I remember standing around the block waiting to get in that summer. Rosanna Aquette was so sexy in that movie.

The gags are just classic. And the greatest part about them, as I found out when I went to New York for grad school, is that those sorts of things would happen. Sure, it's part adolescent boy's fantasy. Who wouldn't want to meet a girl who has no concept of a nudity taboo? And Neil Gaiman plays the nerdy, slightly repressed British school boy to the hilt. You can easily imagine that it's you when Rosanna Arquette sleeps naked on the bunk bed above you, or follows you into the boy's locker room and starts undressing.

And yeah, Arquette's character really subverted alot of the stereotypes about Americans. Sure, she's kinda ditzy and flighty on the surface, but that's just because she's off in la la land thinking about so many different things. She seems rude at first, but that's just because she's friendly and informal, and doesn't really have much of an ingrained idea of "personal property". She seems angry only because she bothers to stick up for herself and her friends, espescially against sexism. She might be promiscuous, but only with people she trusts and who will respect her. Unfortunately for our hero, he didn't realize that she'd been coming onto him basically since they met until just before she has to go home.
Neil Gaiman as an actor? Just one of many reasons I love this timeline! (I'm only up to page 20 or so)

How does the USAR or whatever America is called solve the problem of incentivizing people to work and especially innovate?

How does the USAR or whatever America is called solve the problem of incentivizing people to work and especially innovate?

Well for one thing the UASR's structured in such a way that numerous individual workplaces can answer that question for themselves, it's a decentralized system so you're likely to see various different methods of incentivization used. And inovation isn't exactly hard, the Soviets lagged behind the west just as much because of their top down organizational structure cultural belief that the west where just better innovators than them, so it's better to copy them than work towards their own innovations. That circumstance by default won't exist in the UASR, and I personally expect that they'd have some kind of government managed R&D department in place for various kinds of blue skies research.

I was inspired by SVeach and boredom. I don't expect this to be canon at all either. It's an article set in modern times, and is a Cold War piece, decidedly pro-American.

----------------------------
The Other Side
by Sara Williams
Living in a modern capitalist Russia, I feel also.