A Real Brotherhood of Nod

Is there any way, in the 20th century, a terrorist organization could be formed that could successfully match other major powers blow for blow? Since I need a generic name for something like this, I'll just go with Nod, from C&C.

You know, it actually could happen, given the right conditions.

Say that your fictional Brotherhood manages to stay hidden, gains a significant following among the population, and that the government is generally disliked. In these situations, said Brotherhood could thrive.

However, there are real problems. Seeing as this is a main enemy in a game, their uncanny ability to stay as an actual force in the world despite constant smashing defeats is really not that realistic.

All in all, though, if they followed the criteria above, the Brotherhood could be real.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
It would be even more interesting if we could get Joe Kucan* to become the leader in a Kane-like way....but most likely not known as 'Kane' of course.

*the guy who actually plays Kane in the games.

Sargon

It would be even more interesting if we could get Joe Kucan* to become the leader in a Kane-like way....but most likely not known as 'Kane' of course.

*the guy who actually plays Kane in the games.

Sargon

Well, he's certainly had practice in pretending to be a messianic figure... :D

Does the communist party or the nazi party count. They sort of mergered with a state and things happened the way it did.

The Nazis might actually be a possibility for this. One of the reasons why it was so important to capture the Eagle's Nest was because it had a radio transmitter that could reach anywhere in Europe. One of the fears of the Allies was that the Nazis and the SS in particular would put on civilian clothing and keep right on fighting. If that had happened, all I can say is god help Europe.The SS was fantical beyond words, had crazy resources and in many cases fought to the death.Literally.

if you wanted to make nod you will need many followers as well as careful planning also a hit and run tactic is nods best i reckon. but such a organisation would be dangerous lack of funds (no tiberium in real life) not to mention death and destruction and mabey just mabey there will soon be a global defense initiative to worry about :))vs:mad:).... unless the governments are corrupt to their core, rebellion and a world war started then this is a fallen dream of yours. be careful you only live once!!!

if you wanted to make nod you will need many followers as well as careful planning also a hit and run tactic is nods best i reckon. but such a organisation would be dangerous lack of funds (no tiberium in real life) not to mention death and destruction and mabey just mabey there will soon be a global defense initiative to worry about :))vs:mad:).... unless the governments are corrupt to their core, rebellion and a world war started then this is a fallen dream of yours. be careful you only live once!!!

Smile vs. Mad? What'll happen there?
(Yeah, I know what you mean. Joke...)

Real-world, how about organizations like Hamas or Hezbollah, taken to the next level? They seem to already function in a way similar to C&C series' Brotherhood of Nod, providing for many of the state's functions without actually being the state. The trick is in giving them more of a global reach, but with sufficiently high technology and major financial backing (oil revenues, etc) that is far from impossible.