A Parliamentary America
by Records

This thread is primarily for me to post things about this timeline. However, I do invite constructive criticism and suggestions.

The Governmental System of the United States
In this timeline, the United States of America has a single legislative house, the Parliament of the United States (of course that may change someday), everything else mostly functions the same as in TTL. On the state level, local governments still have two legislative houses.

Last edited:
1850 United States Parliamentary Elections
1850 United States Parliamentary Elections

The United States House of Representatives Elections were held on November 1, 1850 – December 4, 1850. Lewis Cass would retain his Prime Ministership with the support of the Unionist Party and some members of the Whig Party. Cass' Prime Ministership was opposed by members of the Southern Rights Party, whose members saw him as too moderate.

Democratic Party
Leader: Lewis Cass
Seats Won: 106

Whig Party
Leader: Henry Clay
Seats Won: 78

Unionist Party
Leader: Charles J. Jenkins (Did not stand election)
Seats Won: 29

Free Soil Party
Martin Van Buren
Seats Won: 12

Southern Rights Party
Leader: George Troup
Seats Won: 8

Last edited:
1854 United States Parliamentary Elections
The United States Parliamentary Elections were held on November 1, 1854 – December 4, 1854. There was an immense backlash after the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act causing the Democrats to lose some support in the North, however, despite this Lewis Cass still remained Prime Minister of the United States with the support of Southern Whigs, the Southern Rights Party, and the Unionist Party

Democratic Party
Leader: Lewis Cass
Seats Won: 68

Whig Party
Leader: Henry M. Fuller
Seats Won: 52 (Including 1 Independent Whig)

American ''Know Nothing'' Party
Leader: Nathaniel P. Banks
Seats Won: 50

Opposition Coalition (Anti-Nebraska Party (20 Seats), Free Soil Party (16 Seats), and Republican Party (10 Seats)
Leaders: Martin Van Buren (Free Soil Party) and John C. Frémont (
Republican Party)
Seats Won: 44

Southern Rights Party
Leader: George Troup
Seats Won: 13

Unionist Party
Leader: Alexander H. Stephens
Seats Won: 6

"Benton" Democrats
Leader: Thomas Hart Benton
Seats Won: 2

Last edited:
What is the defining characteristic of the Whig party in this world? Weakening the powers of the prime minister? Is this a US that has a president, or any other executive in addition to the prime minister? If so, what is that person's role?

What is the defining characteristic of the Whig party in this world? Weakening the powers of the prime minister?
Weakening certain powers of the prime minister is one of their defining factors, yes. Also, they still really hate Jacksonian ideals.

Is this a US that has a president, or any other executive in addition to the prime minister? If so, what is that person's role?
No, the United States only has a prime minister, not a president. But, that might change. There is, however, a President of the Senate, but that is mostly a ceremonial role.

Last edited:
A Parliamentary America
by Records

This thread is primarily for me to post things about this timeline. However, I do invite constructive criticism and suggestions.

Edit: Whoops, I accidentally put this in "Alternate History Discussion: After 1900." Oh, well...
Is this alternative America under the British crown still, or like modern day France with an executive president and parliamentary P M in cohabitation?.