A New Coat of Arms Thread

Yes, well, I was wondering what the whole 'pigmented citizens' thing was about.
Space apartheid, I take it?

Sadly that's pretty much it, the downside of trying to write realistic sci-fi is that it does rather tend to the grim. The UEG is influenced by quite a few countries but particularly Rhodesia and the early American West, its that frontier intolerance of anyone but the settlers attitude. Its a fairly racially, socially and economically segregated society. In the setting the overwhelming majority have very pale white skin (the result of actually being a GM "Colonial" species of Human prepared by the Old Imperials) but a small minority produce pigments in their skin leading to colouration (a bit more randomly than our racial distinctions).

Greetings! Seeing this as a heraldry thread, I'd like to ask few questions about the blazon of the CoA of the state that's the focal point of my WiP timeline, and maybe find someone who'd try to create it.

Currently I use a placeholder CoA that'd be appropriate only for one member-state of Kingdoms and States represented in the Council of State:

8WCuMF2

The overall composition of that CoA (as well as the aesthetics of the state in general) has been strongly inspired by the Austria-Hungary.

The State coat of arms of Kingdoms and States represented in the Council of State

Chequy of nine. I Vert barry of ten Sable, overall a knight armed cap-à-pie mounted on a horse salient Argent, brandishing a sword Proper and maintaining a shield Sable charged with an effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady rampant with Her wings displayed Argent, langued and unguled of Or (for Dikastiro); II Gules, billetty Or, a lion with a coronet Or armed and langued Gules holding in his dexter paw a sword Argent hilted Or and in the sinister paw a shield Sable with an effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady rampant with Her wings displayed Argent, unguled and langued Or (for Proapsizo); III Per fess, in Azure a lymphad Or. In Sable, two cannons in saltire Or (the dexter surmounted on the sinister), surmounted to an anchor of the same (for Nafitis); IV Erminois gyrony of eight Gules (for Stars); V Vairy Argent and Azure (for Ochuroma); VI Azure, an effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady rampant with Her wings displayed Argent, unguled and languaged Or (for Anakalipsi); VII Tierced per pall reversed. 1 Argent a bull passant regardant Gules, armed Sable and langued Gules, gorged with a mural crown with four towers, with portcullis in base, attached thereto a Chain reflexed over the back and ending in a ring all Or (for Taurida), 2 Vert, a hand proper brandishing a key Argent (for Neferos), 3 Argent, a Dolphin Azure, finned Purpure (for Allipso); VIII Quarterly. 1 Or semé-de-lis Sable, a rose Gules barbed Vert, 2 Azure, a triple-towered castle with portcullis in base all Argent on mount Or, 3 paly of 8, Sable and Gules, an escarbuncle Or, 4 Sable étincellé Argent (for Comargena); IX Per pale. 1 Argent semé of lozenges Azure (for Viryllos), 2 Sable two wolves combatant Or (for Likos).
Overall in the fess point an inescutcheon Sable, an effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady rampant with Her wings displayed Argent, unguled and langued Or (for House of Alexandrea).

The whole surmounted upon demi-effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady sejant affronté with Her wings displayed Argent, unguled and langued Or, in field Sable.
The whole is crowned with the Imperial Crown of Alexandreon proper.

Or, a Dragon segreant Gules, armed and langued Sable. The shield is crowned with the Royal Crown of Zamoi proper.

Between these shields, an escutcheon quarterly. In I and IV Sable, an effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady rampant with Her wings displayed Argent, unguled and langued Or (for the House of Alexandrea); II and III Per pale: on the dexter, the shield of Württemberg, on the sinister, the shield of Swabia (for the House of Württemberg).
The shield is surrounded with Collars of the Most Illustrious Order of the Sacred Couple, the Most Noble Order of the Flame of Drakon and the Star of Gallantry.
Supporters:
Dexter: effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady rampant with Her wings displayed Argent, unguled and langued Or.
Sinister: Dragon regardant, armed and langued Sable, each supporting a lance Or point Sable. On dexter the Royal Standard of the King (Or, semé mullets Purpure, a Dragon segreant Gules, armed and langued Sable), both standing atop of compartment Or.

Below, on a scroll Or, the mottos Sable: dexter: Αδιαίρετα και Αχώριστα, sinister: Feloszthatatlanul és Elválaszthatatlanul

Whenever the blazon contains "effigy of the Star-Eyed Lady", it means that a Pegasus should be depicted- the main deity of the state's pantheon is depicted as a snowy-white winged mare.

Since the picture link doesn't work in my first post, I've decided to post the placeholder CoA of Kingdoms and States represented in the Council of State:

coa6.jpg

Erb Melzy (veľký).png

Erby Melzy - Erb Melzy (veľký, modrý variant).png

The great coat of arms of the City State of Melza from my in-development RP/RPG Thick as Thieves and its Orbis Furum fantasy setting.

The crown is a baronial one, since the local monarchy is ruled by a baronial family (that is opposed to the idea of "upgrading" their aristocratic status due to a local political tradition).

Erby Melzy - Erb Melzy (m zelený variant).png

Erby Melzy - Erb Melzy (modrý variant).png

The smaller version, without the griffin arm bearers and without the baronial crown crest.

However, I'm not sure whether this isn't better ? Should I make this version of the CoA field canon, instead of the all-green one ?

Last edited:
View attachment 274233

The great coat of arms of the City State of Melza from my in-development RP Thick as Thieves. The crown is a baronial one, since the local monarchy is ruled by a baronial family (that is opposed to the idea of "upgrading" their aristocratic status due to a local political tradition).

View attachment 274234

However, I'm not sure whether this isn't better ? Should I make this version of the CoA field canon, instead of the all-green one ?

I prefer the blue & green version to the all-green one, but as it's been said: both look good.

I totally forgot to post this here back in the (brief) heyday of my King Arthur TL! Not so much a coat of arms per se, but just a nifty shield design, based off the Roman ones and that fradulent cross a while back.

cUfTkcr.png

It retains the colour scheme of Arthur's traditional attributed arms whilst also tying in to my explanation for Arthur "bearing the cross" for 3 days and 3 nights at Badon Hill - basically a ripoff from Constantine's vision before Milvian Bridge, hence the "IHS" (In hoc signo vinces; alternatively, Jesus Christ).

I prefer the blue & green version to the all-green one, but as it's been said: both look good.

I like the all green but both are acceptable :)

You gave them equal votes, confusing me further. :D

Anyway, here's the coat of arms of Melza's Lord Mayor, from my setting:

Erby Melzy - starostovský erb (Lord Mayor).png

Keys to the city and all... The hat is indeed the sort of thing the Lord Mayor wears on his head on ceremonial occassions.

I've made these already a few months ago, but since I'm a bit late with getting the RP ready to go, I might as well post some of the artworks I've prepared for it already now.

Last edited:
I totally forgot to post this here back in the (brief) heyday of my King Arthur TL! Not so much a coat of arms per se, but just a nifty shield design, based off the Roman ones and that fradulent cross a while back.

It retains the colour scheme of Arthur's traditional attributed arms whilst also tying in to my explanation for Arthur "bearing the cross" for 3 days and 3 nights at Badon Hill - basically a ripoff from Constantine's vision before Milvian Bridge, hence the "IHS" (In hoc signo vinces; alternatively, Jesus Christ).

Think I mentioned how nice it looked then.

You gave them equal votes, confusing me further. :D

Anyway, here's the coat of arms of Melza's Lord Mayor:

Keys to the city and all... The hat is indeed the sort of thing the Lord Mayor wears on his head on ceremonial occassions.

I've made these already a few months ago, but since I'm a bit late with getting the RP ready to go, I might as well post some of the artworks I've prepared for it already now.

What's the history of the Barony and City of Melza? May help pin down how the arms evolved.

My first contribution to one of these threads, the OTL coat of arms for Long Eaton, done as a neater .svg from the Robert Tufton original here. Not entirely happy with the writing at the bottom but it's an awkward motto to work in.

long_eaton_urban_district_council_arms_by_imperatordeelysium-da16i34.png

There's a lot to cover in the RP's setting and game mechanics (even the basic stuff) and that's why it's taken me a good while to even get to where I'm with it now. Though most of the stuff isn't completed yet, you can read more about Melza's government and its past rulers behind those two links.

A brief look suggests that the second mixed background on the shield would be more appropriate. Probably initially born by the cadet branch of Barons. For some reason I suspect there may have been a star or crescent or both over the castle at some point in the past.

A brief look suggests that the second mixed background on the shield would be more appropriate. Probably initially born by the cadet branch of Barons. For some reason I suspect there may have been a star or crescent or both over the castle at some point in the past.

Actually, the city state's coat of arms is its own. The three dynasties that have ruled the country since it became a monarchy* have all had their different family coats of arms. With different CoA bearers to boot: House Kalmatz had bears, House Horšan had unicorns (though I might still change that particular choice) and the current House Terlo has lions.

(* - previously, Melza was more akin to San Marino, sort of a "nobles-and-townsmen medieval republic" type of thing; some elements of this older political system survive even in the monarchical era, what with the power sharing thing and emphasis on parliament)

Would someone be willing to help me out with a coat of arms for the ruling house of a Kingdom of Judea? The blazon looks like this:

Azure, a lion with a coronet rampant holding a harp Or; Around all a wreath of olive branches Or.

The arrangement would ideally resemble the Emblem of Jerusalem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emblem_of_Jerusalem).

Thank you to whoever helps me with this.