A much larger Rome that survives until the present day.

As a corollary to Livy’s account, it is rather noteworthy to mention that a supposed diary from one of the scouts present in Quintodemus on the cold morning of April 13th, 713 AUC, exists and is currently housed in the Imperial Archives, building B, in Lutetia. I have had the privilege of viewing the rather obscure ancient document first-hand during one of my many trips to the Imperial Archives while writing my dissertation at the Academia Nicomedia. I often consulted the archives to help write my dissertation because, as any avid historian knows, the Imperial Archives offer the largest collection of ancient documents anywhere in the world (even more inclusive than the massive collection in the Imperial Chinese Archives located in Beijing).

I digress; the purpose of me stating the aforementioned diary was simply to quote verbatim a supposed first-hand account of the Dacian reaction to Duritista’s execution on that somber April morning. As a historian, I truly hope that the document is authentic and not simply a forgery created by some swindler trying to make quick money. I will state that it is my opinion that the document is in fact real, and that it gives not only the best account of the Dacian reaction on April 13th, but in fact, the only account. Despite the fact that many believe the document to be a fake, forged by the 25th century AUC entrepreneur (and certifiably mentally unstable), Hadrian Otyerius, I believe the evidence as to its authenticity lies in the opposite direction (the carbon dating results, chemical analysis performed on the fabric, etc.). The diary entry (written by an author simply known as The Dacian), taken from page 43, describes the soldier’s emotions and confusion as he gazes across the Ister:

“I was aghast as a spied the Roman camp, merely 200 paces directly to my left across the River, and saw him. His body was limp, drooping from that vile cross, white as a ghost and as dead as any soldier I have ever seen on the battlefield. My first thought was to cry out to my comrades and make them aware of the Roman deceit. Instead I woke my brother, Avartus, and quickly divulged the information to him, perhaps just to get the horrible image out of my head, or maybe just to share the burden with someone else. Either way, he awoke and, looking out across the River, turned pale as a ghost. He promptly climbed down the ladder to the tent below and informed our commander, Vertuderus, of the situation. He immediately called a meeting of his subordinates and they disappeared inside the commander’s tent. The next day we were told to prepare for the worse and pray to the gods and the River, in the vain hope that perhaps they would stop the inevitable Roman invasion.”

As mentioned before, Caesar entertained Duritista’s prior offers of peace simply to buy the time necessary to prepare a working invasion plan. Caesar understood the consequences of a mistake, or worse a total defeat, of his army at this juncture, and realized the importance of carefully contriving every military maneuver. The general decided on this occasion to leave Marc Antony in charge of formulating a plan for the crossing of the River Ister and the invasion of Dacia. Many historians are aware of Dacia’s enormous wealth (and the ancient Dacian goldmines in particular) and according to Livy, Caesar was all too aware of the intrinsic value of conquering the rich Dacian lands. In addition, Roman scouts sent across the Danube on numerous times before and during the time of Caesar had concluded that Dacian lands were almost perfectly contained between two semi-circular rivers, the Ister and the Tisia. This unique geography made the territory easily defendable and an indispensable staging ground for the future invasion of Germania.

Antony’s ingenious battle plan involved marching a small army to Viminiacium in northwestern Moesia by following the bank of the Ister, allowing the Dacians to see the Roman army just across the river. While marching to Viminiacium, Antony would light at least three times as many fires while camping than was actually needed by the number of men he commanded (estimated by Tobias to be approximately 10,000 men) each night. The second portion of Antony’s plan involved Caesar simultaneously marching a large army to Troesmis in northeastern Moesia. The final part of his invasion scheme involved both armies simultaneously building bridges across the Ister while maintaining the false impression that Antony commanded the much larger force. As a failsafe, Antony also retained a small force to light superfluous camp fires across from Quintodemus as a distraction to the Dacian force across the river.

This method of deception is referred to in modern military terms as the Antonite Method, a now defunct strategy of creating the impression that one’s army is larger than it actually is while maintaining a larger force on the enemy’s flank, and utilizing a surprise attack to defeat the enemy’s main force. The most infamous historical instance of its use for most Romans (though it has been used countless times throughout the Empire’s history since Antony’s magnificent deception of Comosicus) is Bartolomaeus Proditor’s use of the strategy at Geruivuseum in 2254 AUC, the battle that effectively ended the Empire’s struggle to defeat the rebellion during the Agnetian Revolution.

By the way Pendragon, I meant to tell you that the way I plan on organizing the first book (as this project will have to be multiple books since it will take so long) is to continue with the Caesar's wars until after the war in Germania, then focus on the domestic issues in Rome (under Octavian and the New Senate), then deal with Caesar's short stay in Rome after Germania, followed by his war against Parthia. After that I was going to mostly focus on the social and political consequences of Ptolemy Caesar's reign (which is mostly peaceful). I was going to make the end of his reign the end of the first book. Then write some stories to supplement everything.

While many historians tend not to hold Duritista in particularly high regard, the vast majority do hold the Dacian king, Comosicus, in unusually high esteem. It is obvious through my extensive analysis of historical records, that Comosicus was a man of morals, of fortitude and honor. Also, the prolific Tobias (and of course Livy) paint a vividly lucid picture of a confident, charismatic, and intelligent Comosicus in their writings. Apparently, Comosicus was much different than the naïve ignoramus that he sent to secure peace with the mighty Caesar on three separate occasions. In fact, many contemporary historians of the time period speculate that had Comosicus simply taken the time necessary to negotiate with Caesar himself, perhaps his kingdom would have survived as an independent entity much longer than it did historically.

Once Antony reached Viminiacium (reaching the small village only two days before Caesar arrived in Troesmis), he immediately began building a bridge across the Ister. The Dacians scouts, composed of an advance force under Vertuderus that had followed Antony from Quintodemus, were startled to see the Romans attempting such an audacious crossing of the river. It is actually Suetonius who provides us with the most accurate and detailed account of the military conquest of both Dacia and Germania (though Guvian does a spectacular job telling the story of these conquests from Suetonius’ account), and it is primarily from his Caesar Victrix that I shall draw my references regarding the wars in both Dacia and Germania.

Antony’s men built the bridge across the Ister with remarkable speed, and within a mere twelve days, the bridge spanned the entirety of the river. Vertuderus ordered his advance force of 4,000 men (800 of them being first-rate archers) to harass the Roman engineers as they constructed the bridge. With great zeal, the Roman infantry covered the engineers with their shields, though often times a Dacian arrow still found its mark with grotesque accuracy. Despite the nearly constant, harrowing attacks by the Dacian archers and the unforgiving current of the Ister, Antony’s men still managed to set the hastily constructed pontoons (made of hollowed out boats from a large piece of timber) on the surface of the water and lash them together with a cable. Amid the ferocious onslaught, at least 60 of Antony’s estimated 200 army engineers fell prey to the skilled Dacian arrows during the twelve days the bridge was being constructed.

Immediately upon finishing the bridge, Antony’s men were assaulted by Vertuderus’ small infantry force and nearly thrown into the river during the ensuing pandemonium. Antony’s men fought back bravely, but were ultimately pushed back to the Roman side of the river were a small skirmish resulted in a narrow Roman victory and retreat of Vertuderus’ men back across the bridge. At this point Vertuderus ordered his remaining men to shoot flaming arrows at the pontoons to destroy the bridge before Antony’s legions could adequately recuperate and counterattack. The Dacian archers managed to cause several of the center pontoons to combust, forcing the Roman engineers to move quickly to douse the flames under cover of Roman archers positioned along the Ister’s bank. Vertuderus’ men quickly decided that discretion on this occasion was the better choice and retreated back to their base camp five miles to the west at Contra Margum, allowing Antony’s army to repair the pontoon bridge and cross unmolested to the other side of the river.

The brief respite enjoyed by Antony’s army also played indispensably to the benefit of the Dacian army, which prepared its defenses with marked speed and skill at Contra Margum. According to Tobias, Antony was lulled into a false since of victory because of the Dacian retreat and his relatively easy crossing of the river (on the second attempt at least), and as such, he rather arrogantly decided to attack Contra Margum before allowing his army to rest. This mistake almost proved fatal to the Roman campaign in Dacia and nearly ended Antony’s military career early. Many contemporary historians argue that had Vertuderus defeated Antony’s army at this juncture, the entire Roman campaign in Dacia would have likely failed, and perhaps would have caused Caesar’s later campaigns in Germania and Parthia to be seriously delayed, or might have caused Caesar to end his wars on the bank of the Ister. Antony hastily marched his intrepid, albeit exhausted, legions to Contra Margum, hoping for a swift and crushing victory. Instead, Antony found a determined and powerful enemy, one with nearly double the manpower resources of his own army. Antony’s ruse had worked beyond even his own comprehension; Comosicus took Antony’s deception at face value and had concentrated the majority of his army not defending the interior of his kingdom to Antony’s front. As a result, Comosicus ordered Vertuderus to defend Contra Margum and the passes into the Serrorum Mountains to the northeast at all cost. Vertuderus’ army, numbering nearly 23,000 men (5,000 of which were magnificently skilled horsemen) would prove to be a daunting obstacle to Antony’s legions.

I like the description of the building of the bridge, the constant attacks, the risks taken, and the great achievement that was achieved. I think that that says a lot about Roman injunity and is a very nice aspect of the story. Nice job on it.

I also would like to agree with vultan, while I love the descriptive story elements that you are posting I also LOVED the timeline. Is there any way for you to consider posting maybe a story and then a brief timeline expansion, and then another story, and then timeline...and, well, you get the picture. That way both aspects of what you are trying to do will be served.

And yeah, if I have any ideas I will definitely post them to you for consideration. This timeline is one of the more amazing ones, in fact it even caused the birth of a semester-long roleplaying game at my local college that I ran. Of course, I kinda modified it a little bit and added magic, hehe :)

Yes I can certainly try to post portions of the TL along with the story elements, but it may be slightly longer between posts because I still haven't completely overhauled the original overhaul of my TL (if that makes sense), and therefore I will actually need to write the TL in between posts. I am basically using the story to help me with the TL because I want it to be as acuarate and detailed as possible without being overwhelming. My original TL was to amateurish and was obviously written before most of my research was conducted, so I really want a good, polished product for you guys and my book.

Well, I personally don't think most of the previous timeline needs to be thrown out and started a fresh. While I can see modifying some things or writing a future point and then clearly working to it from the past, to make sure consistency exists, I don't see anything wrong with what you have. In addition, the changes you make and the way you do it make sense so I don't thing they are unrealistic.

Personally, one of the things that held my interest so long was that we got to see the centuries pass. The centuries pass and time moved forward and Rome continued to exist, prosper and dominant its part of the globe. There were wars, civil and external, collapses and problems but in the end Rome survived, prospered and continued to rule. I like that and I would like to see more of it.

I do wonder, what in particular do you find that is unrealistic of your timeline? Because, honestly, the moment you go beyond what real history has the more fantastical it gets and the more things change from what one expects. Culture, language, technology, politics, military, territory, society and all that.

Anyway, like I said, I eagerly look forward to both your story on this as well as the development and expansion of the timeline.

Most of the previous TL, no, but the original one, yes. The original one was entirely to amateurish and not well researched. The one I did previously is much better, but I want to polish it some more. I'll try to post the first bit of a polished TL soon.

Ok tell me if you guys like this TL style. I want the polished version to look something like this. This is just one year of the new TL, but I want you guys to tell me what you think. I've tried to be as inclusive as possible without overloading it with too much text (that's what the story/book part is for). Hope you like. I'll try to update the new TL as much as time will permit.

709 AUC:

Domestic (D): As Julius Caesar leaves for a Senate meeting in Rome on the Ides of March, Marc Antony and Marcus Junius Brutus intercept him (after Tillius Cimber tells Antony of the plot on Caesar’s life) and divulge the details of a planned assassination by a group of senators called the Liberatores. Antony and Brutus’ timely intervention leads to Caesar’s famous speech, the Adfatus in the Forum Julium and the prompt (yet lenient) prosecution of most of the conspirators over the remainder of the year, with the notable exception of Quintus Ligarius. Caesar reorganizes the Republic during the Transistus Magnus (Great Transition), creating the Senatus Novus (New Senate) and calling for a new code of law or all encompassing Corpus Juris Civilis to replace the Twelve Tablets, the Lex Magnus (Great Law). Octavian is appointed the leader of the New Senate and the body votes to bestow the title Imperator Perpetuus on Julius Caesar. In addition, Caesar appoints Octavian Imperator Interrex. Caesar gets his succession law, the lex Successionis, passed in the Senate, officially naming his son by Cleopatra, Ptolemy XV Caesar as his heir. Caesar divorces his wife Calpurnia and, after changing the marriage laws with his leges Juliae, weds Cleopatra. The first portion of the Lex Magnus (taking into account many of the ideas of Caesar’s slave Eupiphenese), the lex Senatus is passed in November.

Military (M): Also in November, Caesar, Cleopatra, and Marc Antony leave Rome for Pella in Macedonia to prepare for Caesar’s future invasion of Thrace, Moesia, Dalmatia, and Pannonia. While in Pella, Caesar hears news of Ptolemy XIV’s treachery in Egypt and he sets sail for the ancient kingdom in December. The Battle of Pelusium Harbor ends in a Roman victory late in December.

Literature, Art, and Science (LAS): Julius Caesar begins work on his Commentarii de Bello Aegyptico. Cicero, showing his appreciation for the general’s pardon after the Caesarian Civil War and for his careful restructuring of Roman law, gives a speech in the New Senate praising Caesar’s accomplishments in September and begins drafting a letter to Caesar, most often referred to as the Efflagitatus Recursus Respublicus (An Urgent Plea for the Return of the Republic) in a desperate attempt to get the dictator to restore at least some semblance of the Old Republic under his rule.

Foreign (F): Antipater the Idumaean, father of Herod the Great of Judaea dies. Comosicus succeeds Burebista as the king of Dacia.

I actually love the style and format of the timeline excerpt you posted. I think the fact that you cover each year (or whatever) with various points - like military, government, social, foreign, technology, religion - is a very good idea. It allows a full sense of whatever events occurred that year and its impact. I do have to say that I agree with the concept of inclusiveness without overloading text, I want to read a lot of information but I don't know if paragraph format is the best for anything short of the story - in which it is perfect and your awesome at providing information.

Please note that in the military section of this year there are (R)'s and one (I) after a few of the battles. (R) means a Roman victory, (I) means inconclusive, and (E) means an enemy victory.

710 AUC

D: Julius Caesar is proclaimed Pharaoh in Egypt and he appoints Pharxes Kahotep as Egypt’s first Praetor. Octavian commissions the completion of the Forum Julium, including the new house of the Senate on the west end of the forum, the Curius Senatus. The Senate officially reorganizes itself completely becoming the Imperial Senate in February, with Cicero becoming the first Princeps Senatus of the new Senate and Publius Servilius Vatia Isauricus being elected life-long President of the Senate. Octavian appoints the first senators in the new Senate (and makes sure they agree with Caesar’s policies) rather than being elected by the citizens of the provinces (as they will after the establishment of the lex Provincii). The Senate begins work on the lex Imperius. The last trial of the conspirators is held in June, with the lenient sentencing of both Brutus and Cassius. Lugdunum is founded in Gaul. The great Roman poet Ovid is born. Caesar begins construction of Castrum Thracia, a future imperial prison.

M: Both the Battle of Memphis and the Battle of Alexandria are won by Julius Caesar, thus completing his conquest of Egypt. Caesar returns to Pella and begins his invasion of Thrace in May, culminating in the Battle of Vordium (R), the Battle of Dordivium (R), and the Battle of the Plotin Plains (R). Other minor battles occur, but ultimately Antony and Caesar conquer Thrace and Moesia throughout the year.

Other battles: Battle of Mount Geru (I), Battle of Plotinopolis (R)

LAS: Caesar drafts his response to Cicero’s letter, most commonly referred to by scholars as the Arcula (the Argument or Response), praising the senator for his love and concern for the Republic and making a sound logical argument for the changes he and his followers are bringing to the Roman world by showing how the old order was chaotic and flawed.

F: In India, Nagasena creates the Emerald Buddha, an important factor in the spread of Buddhism throughout the Roman Empire centuries later. Princess Iotapa of Media is born. The Catuvellauni in Britain break their tribute treaty with Rome and expel the Roman diplomat Popius from their capital.

Antony hastily besieged Contra Margum, but did not anticipate a clever ambush by Vertuderus’ cavaly led by the impetuous Fugista that flanked him on the right. Antony panicked, ordering his legions to cover his archers who were being slaughtered by Fugista’s heavy cavalry. Antony used his Moesian auxiliary, composed mainly of pikemen, to disrupt Fugista’s attack, killing the Dacian warrior in the process. The Roman army then focused its attention on breaching the wooden walls of Contra Margum before Vertuderus could mount another devastating attack. One of Antony’s legions managed to breach the wall by nightfall and a massive battle ensued between Antony’s legions vastly outnumbered legions and Vertuderus’ barbarian infantry. The fight continued into the morning, with neither side achieving a significant victory. Antony fell back from Contra Margum, deciding instead to go on the defensive and rest his army before continuing.

Vertuderus, sensing a weakness in the Roman army, attacked Antony’s army on the second day after the river crossing, and nearly defeated him yet again with a cunning attack by his heavy cavalry and driving him into the river. Only the general’s auxiliary managed to end Vertuderus’ advance, forcing him to retreat behind the defenses at Contra Margum. On May 17th, 713 AUC, Antony decided not to attack Contra Margum again, but instead decided to advance northeast and capture the small trading village, Ledevata, in preparation for his advance into the Serrorum Mountains and ultimately a campaign north against the Dacian capital, Sarmizegetusa. Ledevata fell relatively quickly to Antony’s army (now only numbering about 8,000 men), and he used the small village as his headquarters for the time being.

Vertuderus, upon hearing that Antony had changed tactics and taken Ledevata, decided to march his army around the Roman army, circumventing Ledevata and set up camp at the base of Mount Blanae in the Serrorum Mountain range. The strategic value of this mountain range, and the passes extending intricately thoughout its interior like a spider web cannot be overestimated and Vertuderus’ exceptional foresight regarding their importance likewise cannot be dismissed. Simply put, Vertuderus was a military genius on par with any Roman of his time and was certainly the best general the Dacians could hope to muster against the Romans.

Antony rested his army for a week before continuing his campaign northeast to the village of Arcidava. From Arcidava, Antony marched his army east to Mount Blanae, where the two-day Battle of Mount Blanae ends in Vertuderus’ pyrrhic victory over Antony and Antony’s retreat back his original crossing point at the Ister. The Roman general decides to go completely on the defensive and lure the Dacians into a trap to effectively erase their numerical advantage. Antony’s exhausted men quickly reconstruct the pontoon bridge and cross back into Moesia. Vertuderus, though elated at his costly victory, spends the next two weeks recruiting from various Dacian villages before pursuing Antony’s army, rather than immediately following up on his momentous defeat of the Romans. During this respite, Antony manages to recruit 3,000 additional Moesian mercenaries, including a substantial number of horsemen and pikemen and to construct several makeshift “forts” along the bank of the Ister.

On June 27th, Vertuderus, highly confident after his two prior victories over Antony, attempts a crossing of the river, but the Roman archers manage to set fire to the pontoon bridge, only allowing a small portion of Vertuderus’ army to cross. The portion of the Dacian army that does manage to cross is badly mauled by Antony’s cavalry, and the remaining Dacians on the Roman side of the river are captured. Antony’s archers and artillery continue to harass Vertuderus’ army on the other side, causing a substantial number of casualties among the Dacian army. Finally, after five days and three attempted crossings (the latter two including the use of small rafts to get across the river), the Battle of the Danube ends and Vertuderus retreats to Contra Margum, but leaves an advance force of scouts to spy on Antony’s army and track its movements across the river.

Almost simultaneously, two days after Antony began to build his bridge across the Ister, Caesar, in northeastern Moesia also began to build a similar bridge to carry his much larger army across the mighty river. Caesar used a similar method to build his bridge as quickly as possible – pontoons made of hallowed lumber – but built his in substantially less time due to the lack of constant harassment that Antony experienced on his front. Caesars legions built the bridge in only 8 days, beating his previous record in Gaul by several days and instilling in his men an unquenchable sense of pride and confidence. Immediately after successfully moving his army to the Dacian side of the river, Caesar fought a minor skirmish at the Battle of Drobeta, crushing a small detachment of Sensii warriors before marching on the nearest village, Triomadava, were the Sensii chieftain, Hopoticus the Horrible agreed to an alliance with the Romans after hearing of the fate of his soldiers at Drobeta. It is evident that Caesar was indeed a superb strategist from simply analyzing his magnificent campaign in Dacia. He realized that to obtain a swift and uncomplicated campaign, he needed to divide the Dacian tribes and conquer – or ally with them – individually.

I love the combination timeline and story. I think that indivdually both lack but together they combine to complete the story and picture and make the whole so much greater.

I do have to ask, is there a need for you to use abbreviations, couldn't you just spell out Domestic or Military or whatever. I think it might be easier to read.

Anyway, I like it as I always do, which is pretty much all I can say at this moment. :)

The abbreviations are really more for convenience than anything else. I really don't want to have to type those for each year, especially considering how many years there are (or will be eventually) in the TL.

The abbreviations are really more for convenience than anything else. I really don't want to have to type those for each year, especially considering how many years there are (or will be eventually) in the TL.

I totally understand that. But couldn't you type it once in blank non-filled format and then hit copy and past for every year. That way you don't have to worry about the categories, they already exist. :)

All in all, don't take that as criticism, as what you are doing is epic an undertaking if there ever was one.

Thanks for all of your comments on here Pendragon, sometimes I think you're the only one who is interested in what I'm doing. Your support is much appreciated. If you have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know.