A Much Larger Rome that Survives until the Present Day Version 2.0

A map might take me quite a while to do, but on at least one of the threads I linked I have maps for this TL, the best one's are here though: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=42116

though I'm sure the maps on the above thread could be improved upon. The maps for the above thread basically follow what's going on, even in the improved version of the TL. I might eventually post a better and more detailed map, but I won't lie to you, it might be a while.

Here is a map of the Roman border in Europe by 723 AUC (I'll be posting the years 721-723 in the next few days):

Europe723.GIF

721 AUC

Domestic: Cicero dies at the age of 74. Caesar commissions the Bibliotheca Magna Roma (the Great Library of Rome) based on the Great Library at Alexandria and puts Marcus Terrentius Varro, famous Roman writer and scholar, in charge of obtaining and organizing the most famous of Roman, Greek, and Egyptian texts. Caesar also commissions a new aqueduct for Rome, the Aqua Caesaria, to run from the east of the city past the Palatine Hill and to the south end of Capitoline Hill to furnish households and the new future Colosseum with water. Early in the year, Caesar introduces the II lex Julia Municipalis, an amendment to the bill he got passed in 708 which clearly defines the organization of all Roman cities and new colonies along the same standards. Caesar completes his overhaul, reorganization, and training of his veteran legions in April, and designates his former Legio X Equestris as his formal body guard. He renames the legion Legio X and makes it the head of the Praetorian Guard, the group of seven legions that has served as the Emperors’ bodyguard throughout imperial history. Legio X will go on to be the most famous and prestigious of the Legions, and traditionally is commanded by the first born (and generally heir) of each Emperor. The Caesarian Reforms of the army continue, with the permanent establishment of eighty offensive legions of 5,000 men plus 3000 auxiliary each (easily attained because of the lenient criteria necessary to join the army under Caesar’s reforms). His reforms also establish an additional thirty defensive or domestic legions of equal strength to the offensive ones which are stationed at various places along Rome’s extensive border. Caesar leaves for Syria in July with 25 legions, landing at Sidon in August, where he begins to assemble his army for the coming invasion of Parthia. Agrippa and Pollio also leave with Caesar to Syria, bringing with them a combined strength of 25 legions. Caesar, Pollio, and Agrippa immediately begin recruiting and training an additional ten legions for the coming war with Parthia. Marc Antony builds Castrum Hypanium Antonium, a major command center for the frontier legions manning the border defenses between the two Hypanis Rivers. Antony’s army begins construction on the Murus Carpathia, a large defensive wall approximately fifty miles long with fortified embattlements (and housing for soldiers) every five miles. Lepidus becomes the first Praetor of the province of Gallaecia in northwestern Hispania. Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (Vitruvius) begins work on the building of the Colosseum. Octavian reassumes the role of Imperator Interrex upon Caesar’s departure from Rome. The draining of the Pomptine Marshes begins with a large number of fatalities due to malaria.

Military: Lepidus finishes his campaign in western and northwestern Spain after defeating the Cantabri chieftain Amatus of Juuobrigu at the Battle of Burum (R). Antony campaigns against Asander of the Bosporan Kingdom by invading Taurica by the end of the year and besieging Chersonesos in November.

Literature, Art, and Science: Horace writes Epodes. Bibaculus finishes his statue of Romulus and Remus on the dome of the Curius Senatus.

Foreign: Phraates IV reaches the River Indus, annexing all of Gedrosia and Arachosia by July after besieging Patala (along the River Indus) and successfully defeating the Indian warlord Upatadpses. King Parnavaz II of Caucasian Iberia dies and is succeeded by Mirian II.

Eurofed

Banned
Very good to see the best non-ASB "Very successful Rome" TL around getting a new and improved incarnation. Subscribed and I shall follow it with the outmost interest.

I'm happy to give eager support where it is much deserved. :D:cool:

Just hope that with this new and improved version, my reasoned suggestions for the final world map shall get due consideration. ;):)

Well actually since most of your suggestions on the map don't look all that different from what I have in mind, I probably will take some of your suggestions.

Here is a map of what the provinces in Germania will look like once they are organized:

Attachments

• ancient_germania1.bmp
    255.5 KB · Views: 3,288
Here is a map of the Roman border in Europe by 723 AUC (I'll be posting the years 721-723 in the next few days):

I edited the map, adding the borders of the provinces in it. I don't know how the divisions are in Germania and in Sarmatia Asiatica should be, but I guess you'll be able to point these out yourself, and if not, just give me a concept and names and i'll work it out for you. :)

TqU8J.png

I edited the map, adding the borders of the provinces in it. I don't know how the divisions are in Germania and in Sarmatia Asiatica should be, but I guess you'll be able to point these out yourself, and if not, just give me a concept and names and i'll work it out for you. :)

TqU8J.png

Wow thanks for that awesome map! I'll see what I can do this weekend with that map and add the provinces in Germania, etc.

Wow thanks for that awesome map! I'll see what I can do this weekend with that map and add the provinces in Germania, etc.

You are very welcome! It's all yours! Some borders may not be 100% correct, but they are roughly on the places that they should be on. :) I hope the map will help you! :D

Oh! I almost forgot! The font of the text in the provinces is the standard Arial! The smaller ones are size 8 (in Paint), and the larger ones are size 10. And both the smaller as well as the bigger text are bold.

Last edited:
Here is a version of your map with the provinces from Germania added (though the other map I posted is much more accurate for the borders I am shooting for as I suck at free-form drawing in Paint):

TqU8J.png

722 AUC

Domestic: Antony constructs Castrum Tauricum Antonium, the modern port city of Tauricum and home of the famous 2600’s AUC Olympic gold-medalist Petrus Opidus Gulva Olympus. Octavian oversees the beginning of the massive project to drain the Pomptine Marshes. According to historical figures recorded by both Livy and Vitruvius (in De Architectura), there were nearly one hundred thousand men (including at least forty thousand slaves) working on the gigantic project. Publius Servilius Vatius Isauricus dies and Gaius Cilnius Maecenas is elected Consul of the Senate. The Via Julia reaches Lutetia in Gaul and the Via Octavia reaches Narona in Illyricum. Octavian (on behalf of Caesar’s title of Pontifex Maximus) officially makes several Germanic gods (most prominently Frige, Tiw, and Freo) part of the Roman pantheon, beginning a long tradition of adding foreign gods to the Roman pagan belief system. Antony continues to build border forts and extend the Via Antonia during his campaign in Taurica and into Scythian lands near the River Borysthenes. Ptolemy Caesar takes command of Legio X at the age of 16 and begins his formal military training. Octavian commissions Roman cartographer Tiberius Laelius Cordus and a group of explorers to chart and map Germania. The project will take several years and will involve official mapping and naming of several rivers and mountain ranges. The main reason behind this effort is to find favorable areas for future colonization and to determine the best way to divide the primitive area into viable Roman provinces (given the lack of infrastructure in most of the area known as Germania).

Military: Caesar and Pollio invade the Parthian Empire from Roman Syria, while Agrippa commands an army of 90,000 Romans and allied Galatians against King Artavasdes II of Armenia (who had turned against the Romans after the Battle of Carrhae and joined the Parthians in 700 AUC). Antony campaigns against the aging King Palakus of the Scythians, defeating his army and killing him in battle during the Battle of the River Borysthenes (R) in July.

Battles:
Siege of Edessa (R)
Siege and Battle of Nicophorum (R)
Battle of River Araxes (R)
Battle of Circesium (R)
Battle of Hatra (I)
Battle of Nineveh (R)
First Battle of the River Tigris (R)
Second Battle of River Tigris (E)

Literature, Art, and Science: Virgil writes Eclogues. The Egyptian poet Ptah writes Land of Gods, a series of poems describing the history of Egypt’s pharaohs from Tiu to Caesar. The Hellenistic Era of art ends and the Latin Era in art begins with the sculpting of the Martius Colossicus by Sextus Flavius Verres in front of the partially completed Delubrum Martius Grandis.

Foreign: Phraates IV makes peace with the Indian prince, Draupadi, due to the new war with Rome. After the death of Palakus, Scrofuctus the Terrible becomes king of the Scythians, now confined to north of the Borysthenes.

Last edited:
Great update! :D And great borders on the map!

Now, I am not sure whether you already have names for the provinces, but otherwise, here is my suggestion. Please feel free to ignore it if you want to. ;)

waEK3.png

Actually I do already have province names picked out, thanks for the suggestions though. I almost named Boiohemia Marcomannia, but decided not to because I like the name Boiohemia. I mean imagine in the year 2678 AUC we have a band come out with a rock opera called Boiohemian Rhapsody :) Look at the map of Germania I posted with the numbers on it:

1. Frisia (a protectorate at this point and semi-independent because of the Frisii tribe's allegiance and help during the Roman conquest)

2. Germania Inferior

3. Germania Superior

4. Boiohemia (a protectorate due to their help during the conquest)

5. Quadia

6. Omannia

7. Marsignia

8. Gothica

9. Langobardia

10. Cimbrica

Here's a map of the world by 731 AUC. I know this map isn't that great, especially the text, but this is basically what it should look like. The light purple areas are Roman protectorates. They are (west to east): Mauretania, Frisia, Boiohemia, Getea, Judea, Characene, Gedrosia. Most places I wasn't able to name because of the size of the map, so if you have a question just ask.

No Borders.png

Amazing map! :D I love it!

I hope you don't mind the fact that I cleaned it up a bit for you though (I gave it UCS colours, fixed the borders, added in American nations, gave it a nice background, etc) :D:

tiUE9.png

Amazing map! :D I love it!

I hope you don't mind the fact that I cleaned it up a bit for you though (I gave it UCS colours, fixed the borders, added in American nations, gave it a nice background, etc) :D:

tiUE9.png

I like the map! I wasn't aware that there was a civilization that organized in the Yucatan at that time though, that one surprised me.

Ok here is a list of the provinces so far:

Hispania
Baetica
Lusitania
Gallaecia
Terraconensis

Gallia
Lugdunensis
Aquitania
Narbonensis
Belgica

Italia
Italia
Latium

Germania
Germania Inferior
Germania Superior
Omannia
Quadia
Marsignia
Langobardia
Cimbrica
Gothica

Raetia
Pannonia
Dalmatia
Dacia
Moesia Superior
Moesia Inferior
Iazyga
Carpathia
Macedonia
Thracia
Epirius
Achaia
Taurica
Bithynia
Pontus
Phrygia
Galatia
Cappadocia
Cilicia and Cyprus
Lycia
Syria
Arabia
Aegyptus
Cyrenaica and Crete
Africa
Numidia
Sicilia
Corsica and Sardinia
Armenia
Mesopotamia
Britannia and Caledonia (later two separate provinces)
Persia
Carmania
Media
Parthia Inferior
Parthia Superior
Drangiana
Margiana
Bactria
Arachosia
Oxia
Adiabene
Atropatene
Sarmatia Asiatica
Colchis
Iberia
Albania
India Occidia

Also, forgot to put it on the map, but Noricum is a protectorate as well.

To be quite honest, I'm not too sure about the Yucatec/Maya civilization either. I decided to put it in, since this civilization rose somewhere in between 50 BC and 100 AD. :confused:

Anyways, here's the updated map with Noricum as a protectorate of the Empire:

2CB9x.png

EDIT: I have given Koguryŏ the Korean UCS color.

Last edited: